Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Believe it or not--- Nitrous Firecat

Believe it or not--- Nitrous Firecat

Just thought some the Martin fans would like to hear this. I've got a 1984 Model Martin Firecat. I took the limbs, cables and string off and replaced them with 16" straight (8M) limbs, Nitrous B cams, and Nitrous string kit. Now pulling 67lbs, shooting 349 grain arrow, and 273fps. I'm happy. Thats with trophy hunter fall away rest, D loop, string leeches, limb savers, and Keller pendulum sight. That's about 50fps faster than the old bow has ever shot before. I'm sure Crachers could probably get 300fps but I'm not up to that level yet Don't have any pics to show but take my word it shooting one heck of alot better than it used too. Still having fun!! May go to the Nitrous X system next All you Martin fans have a good one.

one other note

Forgot to add that I ended up with 42 A to A and 7 1/2 BH. It's old, long, and heavy compared to newer model bows but it sure is shooting swwweeeetttt.

I like my cougar III but the firecats will always be my favorite Martin bow.

What would have happened if you left old limbs on????? And did similiar thing. Of course you would had to have custom stings and cables.

Originally posted by Erbowman
    What would have happened if you left old limbs on????? And did similiar thing. Of course you would had to have custom stings and cables.
    I really don't think it would have mattered that much. The A to A and BH stayed pretty much the same. The new limbs and old limbs were the same length. I did away with the cables entirely. The nitrous system has a shooting string and two Y strings-- no cables. I got the specs from the new cougar lll chart that had the same A to A. Got the cams and strings indicated on the chart and the rest is histioryl This set up really does feel and shoot entirely different. I like it tremendously. If I had custom strings I think I get more FPS, but, right now I'm satisfied. I could have gotten different limbs and pulled alot more weight but I I've got each limb backed off one full turn and pulling 67lbs. I can got down to 60lb and shoot 300gn arrow and get as much if not more speed. I'm not going to mess with anything else until hunting season is over. Maybe next year I'll try for the 300fps. Maybe?

ttt

Limbs

You have a PM

I really don't think it would have mattered that much. The A to A and BH stayed pretty much the same.
    I have a firecat from that era but my A to A is around 48"
    Brace height I am thought was > 8 inches. Old wooden laminated limbs. Not sure how long though. I was just wondering what it would do to that bow or if it could even take it.

Riser

First, you'd have to have a machined aluminum riser. I'm not really sure what kinda of riser you have. If you do-- you can change limbs and strings. If not--- you're stuck. The 2004 Model Raxorx with Elite limbs goes up to 45 A to A. Bottom line-- if you have a machined riser -- I "think" you can do it!

I assume it is machined. Riser is definately matal but I don't know if it is cast or machined. Its the 84-85 year model. Pro series with the laminated wood in riser of the Martin symbol and at the ends of riser

Hm-m-m

I will always have a special place in my heart for the Firecat. If I had a wish in things. It would for Martin to bring it back.
    A resurection of sorts.
    I believe it was the finest name ever put on a bow. Without even mentioning that it was my favorite bow.
    ken12

I assume it is machined. Riser is definately matal but I don't know if it is cast or machined. Its the 84-85 year model. Pro series with the laminated wood in riser of the Martin symbol and at the ends of riser
    Sounds like you have a machined riser. I've got wood inlaid in my riser also. Measure the width of the limbs near the limb bolt. Should be 1 1/2 inches. What are your limbs made of? Shoot'in the dark but sounds like you can do a conversion on yours also. Send me a picture if you can and I can give you a better assumption.

Re: Hm-m-m

Originally posted by bowpro
    I will always have a special place in my heart for the Firecat. If I had a wish in things. It would for Martin to bring it back.
    A resurection of sorts.
    I believe it was the finest name ever put on a bow. Without even mentioning that it was my favorite bow.
    ken12
    Are you listening Martin?

ttt

I have a 1990 M-44EG Firecat that I have been wanting to put the Elite limbs and nitros cams on, but I have been told that all of the Firecat risers are cast Mag. I have asked on here before and nobody would tell me what limbs and cams to buy. I want it to peek out between 55 and 60 lbs. I was told by a Martin pro that the Firecat riser limb angle was the same as the septer, so the spec's for a Septer should work. I wish you could post a pic, I would really like to see your Firecat. If you get a picture of it PM it to me.

Thanks,
    Robert
    May all of your arrows find the BULL'S EYE--MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member / TSRA Life Member / NFAA Member
    Scepter IV Elite w/Fury Cams 65% / 26" AMO Draw
    Golden Key Superstar Rest / Doinker Fatty 33"
    Toxonics 3515 Sight / CR Apex Scope 6X Specialty Lens

here is pic of riser. limbs are wood laminated

ditto on the pic...post if you can
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erbowman; September 28th, 2004 at 08:05 PM.

Firecat......

Robert has it.....all of the firecats are cast magnesium....the long lamin ated wood limbs are the "XR" limbs...The limb forks are not wide enough to fit anything but the wheels that you have on them....you would have to actually grind some of the limb fork to make anything else fit.....

The Firecat and the Scepter are for the most part one and the same....

PUG
    Those without decency should be fought tirelessly, and without pity.

Im gettin pretty good at barely gettin by....

Thumbs up Sometimes its good to experiment

here is pic of riser. limbs are wood laminated

ditto on the pic...post if you can
    My Martin looks just like yours. Did't know I wasn't suppose to put new limbs and Nitrous cams on mine, so I went and did it anyway. Like I said eariler New 8m limbs, Nitrous "B" cams, and new strings. The old bow has never shot this good. I really love it. 67LBS 348 gr arrow 273fps. I have mine max'd out on lbs. I thought I had some left but I don't. If you want more lbs you'll have to go with to different limbs. I put 8m limbs on. 9M would give you 70 lbs. 10M should give you 75lb, 11M would give you 80 lb pull. I put 56 3/4 shooting string and 43 3/4 split strings. They work good. If you go to a different cam other Than "B" you'll have to put on different length strings. B cam goes from 27"-30" Draw. The new limbs I put on are the straight 16" limbs. I'm sure you can put the 17" Elite limbs on if you wanted too. Bottom line is you can convert if you want too. Costs for materials will be run you $200 +. Right now I'm glad I spent the money and have what might be the first ever nitrous Firecat. I would do it all over again. Let me know if anyone wants to convert and needs help in picking out the right gear for the job.

A to A

Originally posted by Robert58
    I have a 1990 M-44EG Firecat that I have been wanting to put the Elite limbs and nitros cams on, but I have been told that all of the Firecat risers are cast Mag. I have asked on here before and nobody would tell me what limbs and cams to buy. I want it to peek out between 55 and 60 lbs. I was told by a Martin pro that the Firecat riser limb angle was the same as the septer, so the spec's for a Septer should work. I wish you could post a pic, I would really like to see your Firecat. If you get a picture of it PM it to me.

Thanks,
    Robert
    What's your A to A and limb length. I'll look up some specs for to think about. Also, how wide are your limbs measured across the end near the limb bolt?
    Last edited by stehawk; September 28th, 2004 at 09:41 PM.

stehawk,

I have a 1996 Firecat, with the Z-Cams, A2A is 42". The Martin website goes back to 1997, and it indicates that it has a Cast Magnesium Riser. I have all the cam modules, original owners book, and the reciept from when I bought on my 21st d-day.

It has advantage camo riser and limbs, with the wood inlays it is one pretty bow. I have been tempted to try and trade it up to a new bow also had been considering investigating upgrading it, and your thread appears like magic.

I am not a tech dude with the bows. So making the changes would be a real challenge for me.

Lightbulb Firecat Elite Nitrous

Here's the Specs:
    Elite 7M limbs---55-70lbs

"A" Nit Cam 27-30 draw
    "B" Nit Cam 29-32 draw
    "C" Nit Cam 32-35 draw

Strings---- "A" cam 54 3/4 shooting-- 44 1/2 split
    "B" cam 57 3/4 shooting-- 44 1/2 split
    "C" cam 63 1/2 shooting--44 1/2 split

End result should be:::::: 43 3/8 A to A
    8 3/8 BH
    275FPS

I just replaced parts when I converted mine. I did't have to grind,cut, or drill anything. It can be done!!

stehawk

My A to A is 40" with straight 16" limbs, and 8" brace height. That is the reason I want the Elite limbs, to get all the A to A I can, since I shoot fingers. I have a 26.5" draw lenght.

I want 55 to 60 lbs max with 65% letoff. 8" brace height. 26" to 27" draw.

You said that you used the older limbs. I am hoping that Martin will have a set of Firecat xrg limbs.

Thanks,
    Robert
    May all of your arrows find the BULL'S EYE--MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member / TSRA Life Member / NFAA Member
    Scepter IV Elite w/Fury Cams 65% / 26" AMO Draw
    Golden Key Superstar Rest / Doinker Fatty 33"
    Toxonics 3515 Sight / CR Apex Scope 6X Specialty Lens

New limbs

Originally posted by Robert58
    stehawk

My A to A is 40" with straight 16" limbs, and 8" brace height. That is the reason I want the Elite limbs, to get all the A to A I can, since I shoot fingers. I have a 26.5" draw lenght.

I want 55 to 60 lbs max with 65% letoff. 8" brace height. 26" to 27" draw.

You said that you used the older limbs. I am hoping that Martin will have a set of Firecat xrg limbs.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Sorry if I told you wrong, but I did use new 2004 model limbs. Your specs are the exact same I started with. Doubt if you can find any XRG limbs. I feel certain you can go with either ---- the same 16" straight or the 17" Elite limbs. Nonetheless, we'll have to ask Martin about XRG limbs.
    Last edited by stehawk; September 28th, 2004 at 10:40 PM.

shot my first deer with a m44 firecat with there mega wheels.still have the bow.

Thumbs up Great Idea

Originally posted by DeerAnil8r
    stehawk,

I have a 1996 Firecat, with the Z-Cams, A2A is 42". The Martin website goes back to 1997, and it indicates that it has a Cast Magnesium Riser. I have all the cam modules, original owners book, and the reciept from when I bought on my 21st d-day.

It has advantage camo riser and limbs, with the wood inlays it is one pretty bow. I have been tempted to try and trade it up to a new bow also had been considering investigating upgrading it, and your thread appears like magic.

I am not a tech dude with the bows. So making the changes would be a real challenge for me.
    Nothing like having something with vintage and you're really proud of. The most important thing you'll need to convert ---is--- ah-- bow press. Sounds our two firecats are indentical. Doing the work your self could be tricky. I had a SlaYr with Nitrous to keeping looking at while I was changing everything. It's really easy though. I'd be glad to help you get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast