Thread: my ghillie suit

my ghillie suit

when i started bow hunting last year i decided to make a ghillie suit.
    weeell,i helped my wife make the suit [2nd pic was taken just after the suit was made]
    the 1st pic was taken at the game ranch i hunted just after sunset of the 2nd days hunt.
    it was walk and stalk and i did not get a shot.
    maybe in a couple weeks,wish me luck.
    i have more pics,of the process,if anyone is interested.

Attached Images Attached Images

that looks sweet!
    Hoyt Maxxis 31/Spot Hogg Hogg-It/Ripcord Code Red/VaporTrail String/Homemade stab 6.4oz/Easton Axis N fused 400 arrows/Carter Insationable 2- 4 finger, tru fire edge 62 lbs, 29.5 DL, 361 grain arrow, 275 FPS
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34, Blackout, 65#, #3 at 29"

Thumbs up

nice looking suit

Hello, not bad for your first attempt. I hope you will not take my opinion the wrong way,I just want to give you my opinion. as the saying goes a picture saves words, in your first picture do you see how the colors you used stand out? this is partialy because the strips of material you used are too wide. this is ok for longer distances 70 yards or more for the suit to be effective at bow ranges the strips need to be very thin, if you take old burlap bags (sand bags) and shred or unravel them in diffrent lengths and tie or sew them to a normal set of camo pants shirt and hat you will get amazing results at close range.and like I said pictures say it all. experiment and then take pictures in the woods.remember you still have to be able to move and draw your bow. more is not always better...

Yep, that is a nice lookin' suit. Great job. I do agree that thin is better for close range though. I need to make a new one soon..... Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Doinker, TRU-Ball, Axcel, AAE, GoldTip, HOYT, BCY, VaneTec, G5
    Other things I like: Specialized, Ford, DPMS, McMillan, Badger Ordinance, Magpul, Streamlight, AAC, Ruger, Marlin, Remington, Leupold, Aimpoint, Kimber, H&K, Benchmade, Kershaw, Gerber...

cool

that a good looking suit man

Quote Originally Posted by Americannomad View Post
    Hello, not bad for your first attempt. I hope you will not take my opinion the wrong way,I just want to give you my opinion. as the saying goes a picture saves words, in your first picture do you see how the colors you used stand out? this is partialy because the strips of material you used are too wide. this is ok for longer distances 70 yards or more for the suit to be effective at bow ranges the strips need to be very thin, if you take old burlap bags (sand bags) and shred or unravel them in diffrent lengths and tie or sew them to a normal set of camo pants shirt and hat you will get amazing results at close range.and like I said pictures say it all. experiment and then take pictures in the woods.remember you still have to be able to move and draw your bow. more is not always better...
    +1 I applaud your efforts. awsome Job. but I have to agree with this post.
    the colors are off. No dissrespect at all intended. You are very creative now time to fine tune please keep us posted.
    Once again the concept is great just some minor adjustments and you got it Brother
    Yoohoo. I'll make you famous!

The only thing I would change is make the strands a little bit thinner then what it is but that can be easily fixed with some scissors.

nice job man

I am interested in this. I would like to know how you did it. I think this would be great for hunting coyotes. And hopefully cheaper than buying new camo...ha ha.
    2009 BowTech Captain
    2004 Martin Tracer(As of right now, getting new limbs, cams, cables and strings due to a broken cam that they are still going to stand behind. Props to Martin for their customer service)

thanks for the comments guys.
    Americannomad,i appreciate your suggestions and will definitely trim the strips.
    i have pics of the process,so will post those later.

i wanted to avoid buying materials where possible so i found this round the house - dress fabrics and hessian rice bags.
    took a while to cut all the strips.i bought hessian for the base,which my wife sewed.i combined a few colours and she sewed this into "bunches".

Talking ghillie suit

Check out this site they are one of the best for ghillie suits even show you how to make the suits...great Ideas and info these guys supply the pro's..www.ghilliegear.com
    Last edited by Americannomad; February 24th, 2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: forgot web site

Thumbs up ghillie suit

the web site even has special suits for bowhunters they are listed under hunting suits...

thanks for the links Americannomad

more pics
    -strips [machine]stitched to the hood and most of the top.
    -pants done
    -i had to hand-stitch the strips to the sleeves
    -top is done

-soaked the suit in the bath tub
    -added dye
    -drying [took a couple days]
    -quick-release buckles attached inside the front
    the 2nd pic in the 1st post was taken after the buckles were attached.
    i'll spend some time over the next few days cutting the strips.
    the suit is heavy but not hot [surprisingly].last year while hunting i walked about 10 kms while wearing it,and carrying my bow.
    as with most projects of this nature time and labour are the most expensive materials.i could have bought a suit but some things i just want to make myself.

Great lookin' suits you guys have there. Thanks for sharing.
    Doinker, TRU-Ball, Axcel, AAE, GoldTip, HOYT, BCY, VaneTec, G5
    Other things I like: Specialized, Ford, DPMS, McMillan, Badger Ordinance, Magpul, Streamlight, AAC, Ruger, Marlin, Remington, Leupold, Aimpoint, Kimber, H&K, Benchmade, Kershaw, Gerber...

Good job guys I'm getting ready to make one myself for Florida terrain...Funny how,out of all the camo patterns out there,mossy oak,realtree,predator etc...theres almost NONE that match Florida terrain, like palms,palmetto,pine trees,all the stuff you find in Florida...Just seems wierd...I have a shirt and pant set called "wood-n-trail" that comes close to pine/scrub oak in "dead winter" colors.

I was thinking about getting a "leafy bug suit" and adding some jute thread to it...do a search on youtube for "how to make a ghillie suit" theres some good vids.

nice

You know, the color may be off some, but I think it is as close as a lot of the commercial camos are. It will just depend on what your atmosphere is. i have always wanted to make one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by bartyb View Post
    Good job guys I'm getting ready to make one myself for Florida terrain...Funny how,out of all the camo patterns out there,mossy oak,realtree,predator etc...theres almost NONE that match Florida terrain, like palms,palmetto,pine trees,all the stuff you find in Florida...Just seems wierd...I have a shirt and pant set called "wood-n-trail" that comes close to pine/scrub oak in "dead winter" colors.

I was thinking about getting a "leafy bug suit" and adding some jute thread to it...do a search on youtube for "how to make a ghillie suit" theres some good vids.

Check these patterns...might be just what your looking for.

www.dkflatwoods.net

www.swampycamo.com

And add this to your bow & you'll disappear down there...

http://www.cambowflage.com/Home_Page.html

Hope this helps,

Nathan