Thread: Allen Broadheads??

Allen Broadheads??

Got a pack dirt cheap at a local sporting good store. Planned to use them for pigs as they are less than half the price of the magnus buzzcuts I plan to use on deer. They Allen are 100 gr, 3 blade fixed stainless blades. Ran me 10.99 for a 3-pack.

How bad are they? Only going to be shooting 15-20 yards.

PSE MILITIA

Lightbulb

You get what you pay for.......Solohunter

Spin them and make sure they don't wobble then check the sharpness. You may have to touch them up to get them good and sharp.

I say it doesn't matter what brand they are OR how much you paid for them as long as they are sharp and spin true... they are good to go!
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II
    www.Starrflight.com FOB MOB

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun83 View Post
    Spin them and make sure they don't wobble then check the sharpness. You may have to touch them up to get them good and sharp.

I say it doesn't matter what brand they are OR how much you paid for them as long as they are sharp and spin true... they are good to go!
    yup, I've killed several deer w/ the ol' Allen's back when I first started bowhunting and while in college when extra money was hard to come by. If they spin true, you'll be fine.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
    Smooth Stability ProStaff, Athens Archery Field Staff
    Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen.-Conan O'Brian

Quote Originally Posted by solohunter View Post
    you get what you pay for.......solohunter
    100%.

~
    Mathews Z9 - HHA Slider - Trophy Taker Pronghorn Pro - B-Stinger Stabilizer - Fletcher Shorty - Grim Reaper Hybrid - Gold Tip Kinetic XT - Trueflight Feathers (Always)... _____ going to try Mission Dagger XB this season as well - Gold Tip Laser 3 - HHA Optimizer XB scope & adjustable mount system____ ___ - _________ Facebook: Hunters Choice Archery Pro Shop

As long as they spin true you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by solohunter View Post
    You get what you pay for.......Solohunter
    plenty of cheaper heads on the market that are better than heads double or triple there price.

like mentioned. if they spin and fly good and are sharp they will kill
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

i used those cheap heads all the time, they were good, i killed deer with them and one deer only ran 20 yards after a heart shot with one
    Strother SX-1

I bought some to give them a try

Unbelievably they all spun test right out of the box and were sharp. I shot one doe last year with one and I saw no problem with the performance. I gave them all to a friend that didn't have much money and likes to hunt.
    The time is now to save yourselves for eternity. Give your life and soul to Jesus Christ and our father in heaven for I suspect the day of judgement is almost at hand.

Thumbs up

+1. Align broadheads, group shoot them against your field points for same POI, make sure they are razor sharp, and head out hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sawtoothscream View Post
    plenty of cheaper heads on the market that are better than heads double or triple there price.

like mentioned. if they spin and fly good and are sharp they will kill
    2011 ATHENS ACCOMPLICE 34
    http://www.jayhawkoptics.com JAYHAWK OPTICS YOUR SOURCE FOR VORTEX OPTICS AND ATHENS BOWS
    Team #37 Lung Busters
    Seeking out new sights on the strength of my feet and the courage of my lungs

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Bower View Post
    Unbelievably they all spun test right out of the box and were sharp. I shot one doe last year with one and I saw no problem with the performance. I gave them all to a friend that didn't have much money and likes to hunt.
    Exactly. I understand that the adage "you get what you pay for" stands true in many things. Not all things.

It makes me sad to see some folks think that you must dump $35+ on three broadheads to be able to hunt. If it is sharp and spins true it doesn't matter if they were a dollar a piece or 15 dollars a piece.

I will tell you one thing... I don't see people blaming their "allens" on losing deer...

Now how much are those rages again?
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II

I understand that any BH can kill but to simply say to "spin them and as long as they're sharp, you're fine" is a little bit of a stretch. A BH is more than a spin and they can cut hair.

What about the strength of the ferrul and blades? How are the blades locked into the ferrul? Are they going to break easy? What is the thickness of the blades and are they weak.

Understand, there's a reason why they're $10.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    I understand that any BH can kill but to simply say to "spin them and as long as they're sharp, you're fine" is a little bit of a stretch. A BH is more than a spin and they can cut hair.

What about the strength of the ferrul and blades? How are the blades locked into the ferrul? Are they going to break easy? What is the thickness of the blades and are they weak.

He already bought them. Are you suggesting he toss them in the garbage?

Nobody said "You will use them for the rest of your archery career... no need to EVER buy broadheads again."

Have you tried these broadheads? If not, I wouldn't yet question the quality of the ferrules, blades and locking system.

Understand, not everything that is cheap in price is cheap in quality.
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post

They really aren't a junk head, just priced cheaply. I've shot the same head through a couple deer before it was junked.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
    Smooth Stability ProStaff, Athens Archery Field Staff
    Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen.-Conan O'Brian

i was thinking, here on AT people have to have :top of the line" broadheads, i got thinking why do you need a 40 dollar broadhead to kill a deer, i mean for god sakes people the indians used a pice of stone to kill deer and it worked great for them for about 10000 years..
    Strother SX-1

i just bought a pack of allens myself just to use as a head that i wouldn't mind sticking some random critters with and possibly junking. they were sharp straight out of the package and shot pretty well when i put them on to practice with the other day. not to say that i'm going to abandon my NAP spitfire maxx's or the QAD exodus heads i just got, but the allens certainly are a decent head for an awesome price. to me it's definitely worth having one in the quiver in case i want to shoot at some small game without risking one of my nice broadheads. plus they're only $7.50 where i'm at haha

I picked up some Allen arrows and Broadheads today. I plan on doing a test at the range tomorrow. If I can group them in 4in at 60, then I'm golden. I have their Haymaker broadheads