a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Is Horton still in business

Is Horton still in business

I've been told some conflicting information about Horton.

That they moved manufacturing to China, from Ohio, but keep an office in Ohio to look like a US company.

Then I was told they went bankrupt but still some part is operating.

Not sure what is true anymore. My local dealer told me the china part and that he can't (or won't) buy them anymore.

What's the real story?

This will be interesting to hear. I was told that they were bought by some company that has very strong ties to the automotive sector and due to the recession hitting North America so hard, they closed down Horton till things picked up in the automotive world.
    It would be nice to know, as they didn't make a bad crossbow for the money.

I thought I heard somewhere that Greg Ritz, Formerly from Thompson Center, or a consortium headed by Ritz bought Horton. I did hear that he moved production to China and kept an office in Ohio though.

The Gregg Ritz info allowed me to google and find this PR from June last year:

"The purchase includes both of Horton Archery’s Tallmadge, Ohio and Changzhou, China facilities, which produce all of the company’s products. Gregg Ritz, will be joining the Horton Archery team as the CEO"

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=28735

The part about now manufacturing in China is correct, but not sure where they are at now in 2010. Two of the local dealers I used to see the bows at don't seem to carry them anymore. One of them is the local Dick's sporting goods store - it could just be stock outs but the employee's don't know.

Now that they are made in China - has anyone seem drop in quality or changes? To be honest I buy China stuff now and then, but for things like this is has to be made in USA

Horton Archery Update

Here is the latest regarding Horton:
    • Gregg Ritz purchased the assets of Horton Manufacturing in June of 2009
    • Company was reorganized and is now Horton Archery LLC
    • Parts are sourced Internationally
    • Key components such as Limbs/Strings have been and still are sourced from the US.
    • Assembly is taking place in the US (Kent Ohio)

Horton Archery's Matt Miller won the 2010 IBO Indoor Championship held this year at the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburgh, PA shooting Horton Archery's Vision 175 crossbow.

New for this year is Horton Archery's Team Realtree Ultra-Lite Express crossbow. This new crossbow features an all aluminum rail and 7075-T6 machined riser yielding 330 FPS performance, Team Realtree APG Camo, and a weight of only 6.5lbs!

In addition to your local dealer, Horton Archery Crossbows can be found in Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dick's, Gander Mountain and other major retailers.

Rob Girard
    Director of Sales

thanks for clearing that up

Horotn

Horton is back, bigger and better than ever. With the new management in place expect to hear alot from them this year and in the future.
    Support for us as staff shooters, and the outdoor industry in general since the change back in June has been fantastic.
    I would like to thank Greg,Rob,Riley, and all the staff for everything they do and look foward to a long relationship with the company.

Matt Miller
    Ten Point pro staff - GOD'A GRIP pro staff - HHA Sports pro staff - Bloodsport pro staff
    60X Strings pro staff
    tryin hard outdoors - owner
    Bangs Paradise Valley Hunt Club

Thanks rob for clearing things up . Can you give us some dates for the TRT?
    Also Vision cranker anything in the works?
    Thank you
    I am sure you are a busy man
    Dan

Well it's good to hear that Horton is still around. I'm from Ohio and Horton is the brand that I've always purchased. Had good experiances with all my Horton equipment. For me it's all about Hunting, and with my first Horton (a yukon SL) I still can hit the vital sections of the 3d targets everytime. Now I hunt with a HD 175 and it got three deer this past season.

As a great story one of these deer my boy actualy shot. He is 9 and been hunting with me for two years now. It's his first deer and we are still talking about it. This guy was just shy of 300lbs and just a great deer. Biggest deer we have ever got.

He shoots the Horton 175 just fine. He can't hold it offhand so I have a shooting stick in the ground blind he uses as a rest. From a rest he gets 2inch groups at 20yards, and that's the distance we shoot from. In the excitment of the hunt he missed a bit forward on this deer but it still only went 40 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a cool video about that Horton Vision 175 crossbow. It's very unique. The limbs look like they are on backwards.

http://www.foremosthunting.com/Resou...1/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by HortonArchery View Post
    Here is the latest regarding Horton:
    • Gregg Ritz purchased the assets of Horton Manufacturing in June of 2009
    • Company was reorganized and is now Horton Archery LLC
    • Parts are sourced Internationally
    • Key components such as Limbs/Strings have been and still are sourced from the US.
    • Assembly is taking place in the US (Kent Ohio)

Horton Archery's Matt Miller won the 2010 IBO Indoor Championship held this year at the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburgh, PA shooting Horton Archery's Vision 175 crossbow.

New for this year is Horton Archery's Team Realtree Ultra-Lite Express crossbow. This new crossbow features an all aluminum rail and 7075-T6 machined riser yielding 330 FPS performance, Team Realtree APG Camo, and a weight of only 6.5lbs!

In addition to your local dealer, Horton Archery Crossbows can be found in Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dick's, Gander Mountain and other major retailers.

Rob Girard
    Director of Sales
    Nice professional ... reply Rob. I'd like to see Horton step out of the pack and begin to push the performance envelope a tad. Challenge that 375fps-390fps zone.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Well word On the street is Horton is Nipples north.. Not selling bows any more.
    Shoot low boys their riding Shetlands.
    If your going to be Stupid you better be tough!!
    Just Us Hunting.com

HOrton closed their doors and layed off all employees.......... IM sure someone will buy them but that is yet to happen
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo Blackout

If it has two lungs, i hunt it......

Quote Originally Posted by broadheadnut View Post
    Horton closed their doors and laid off all employees.......... I'm sure someone will buy them but that is yet to happen
    Yup that is what i heard have a good friend was let go last week. I have another friend works for an archery related Business. His thoughts were someone would buy them up. The straw that broke the Camels back was the Thompson center looking crossbow the TRT ultralite seems Cabela's sent back thousands as they had a 90% failure rate. Horton could not absorb the impact of that..
    Shoot low boys their riding Shetlands.
    If your going to be Stupid you better be tough!!
    Just Us Hunting.com

Dang this Thread is yrs old ? Now y'all sayin Horton has went under fer real ?
    Kong Matrix 405 Fast Strong n Deadly
    Marie Laveau Matrix 355
    Banshee MXB 320
    vixenmaster strings

I can tell you that Horton is still in business. While times may be rough and I heard some people did get laid off, there are still some that are pluckin' away up there!

Coptor, The TRT didnt have a 90% return rate. I`m pretty sure I know who your friends are (They are probably my friends too) and while the 90% number was accurate in some ways, it was not a 90% return rate. The 90% failure rate was for some of the stocks that Horton received from their vendor that they did not put into production. They have since changed vendors and have an amazingly solid stock coming out for the TRT Nitro.
    Kames Sports Pro Staff
    Hoyt Rampage XT 28" 66#, Viper X Strings and Cables, Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5, LD Pro-V, 10" Smooth Stability, Alpine Soft-Loc, 409gr. Axis N-Fused, Bling Sling, Rage 2 Blades or Slick Tricks.
    1953 Bear Polar 40# Kohanna Kurve 55# Bowtech RPM 360, trophy ridge'd out

They might be answering the phone but they are pretty much done unless someone buys them and that still has not happened. Vendors owed money and employees laid off with their last pay checks bouncing is not a good sign. More than word on the street, word from people who worked there and from their suppliers.

Main reason is simply CHINA crap and wrong personal. Let them RIP

Just got in some parts today!

Horton is likely to be ever tarnished as the Chinese cracker jack bow the plight Barnett is just now recovering from.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 380 Xb30 scope, Matrix 380
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Supposedly the stock problem has been taken care of.

As i understand it they are in the process of searching for investors and have some that are very interested.

Time will tell...

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...capId=33170978

I found no news on reorganization or new buyers
    Remember the 343

Fire,
    Horton is out of business.

Ten Point bought the name and manufacturing rights and God only knows who got the parts!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2