Archery Talk Forum banner

Fake Outdoorsy girls....

27K views 119 replies 60 participants last post by  Aces_shedevil 
#1 ·
So i was just reading a thread about women who take bow hunting seriously and i kind of went off on a tangent. So i decided to write a thread about it.

Does anyone get as aggravated as I do when you see a girl driving a big truck with pink stickers of the browning, team realtree or mossy oak? (dont get me wrong thats ok) then they step out and they look like a million dollars? or they at least try to. They tell you they hunt and fish and love 4-wheelers? But you know the truth.. You know they have their boyfriends or husbands field dress the animals, or bait the fishing hook. You see them with a gun or bow and their form is all off? you start asking them questions about hunting with a gun or bow, and they dont have an answer? well those girls really get under my skin and I can seem to point them out a mile away. Yes my "name" on here is backwoods barbie, but im not one to fake it. Yes i enjoy pampering myself (come on i am a girl) but when a "90210" girl claims she is country? ohhhh lord she better get away from me. I live in Texas and the area where i live, us real outdoorsy girls will give the "fake" girls a run for their money and show the world who they really are. Just for the fact that we are serious about what we do in the outdoors. It has become more of a lifestyle then just a little hobby we have. We take every chance we get to go outside and practice.Wwhy do some girls act that way???? i just dont get it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure what her truck looks like... :smile:

I hear ya on the "poser" factor...nothing more frustrating to me than a guy that wears his Harley tshirts, has Harley decals on his truck yet doesn't even own one (or has a Honda)!? :confused:

#6 ·
:D

:thumbs_up :clap:

rotflmao! love the pic! i like to pamper myslef and wear makeup also but i still do all the dirty work around here. dont mind steppin in the cow poop or baitin my own hooks either... i get my hair done and my nails done but i will still stick my hands in any critter that i should kill heck i have even stuck my hands in a few that i didnt kill. never judge a book by its cover one thing mama always said that turned out to be right...imo

#9 ·
Wow, backwoodsbarbie, seems like alot of wasted energy and anger over something you can't control. There's nothing wrong with being feminine (you are!) and enjoy the outdoors. I'm sorry but in every aspect of life there are people, men and women, who aren't exactly what they try to appear to be. You are obviously really into your hunting and fishing and very proud of it, that's great. I don't understand why it "irks" you so bad if a gal isn't quite as into it as you. You really don't know by how she looks if she get's "down and dirty" with her outdoor hobbies!

#15 ·
Agreed! Don't be so quick to judge others ;) I know growing up my mom always said imitation is the most sincere form of flattering so take it as a compliment. So what if they can not shoot a bow as good as you or skin a deer long as they are out there trying and doing the best they can. :thumbs_up

#10 ·
There's alot of fake people in this world. We can't do anything to change it but it is disapointing when you meet someone that says they have common interests untill you find out the truth. Let life run its course and do your own thing. If it ever came down to survival of the fittest we all know these people would never survive.

#11 ·
outlawbiz,did you ever stop to think,that just maybe the person with the Harley tshirt and decals is all that person can afford at the time and he would dye to own a HARLEY.Why judge someone for what they have or can't do????????????

#37 ·
Seriously!? This ENTIRE post is about people "judging" people. Does she drive a minivan or 4WD. Does she gut her own deer or have someone do it for her. Does she wear makeup or not. Relax...I simply made a comparison to the OP's first post about people who are not what they appear. :BangHead:

And as far as the Harley comment(s)...I would "dye" or even die to be a Grandpa someday. But, I'm not, so I don't own or wear a t-shirt that says "World's Best Grandpa" either. I am also waiting to put the AARP decal on my truck because I have 30+ years before I qualify to represent that decal without being a "poser".

I'm sorry...I unknowingly crossed over into the womens forum by posting what I thought was a pretty funny/appropriately fitting pic and now I will go back to the "darkside" with my opinions since they are not welcome on this side of AT. :bolt:

#12 ·
I feel that in hobbies and sports there are levels and degrees in which people put their time and effort into. In a sport that is so male dominated I'm thrilled to have gals interested at any level in the sport of archery!:) Some would think I'm a fanatic about how much I get to the range, I have friends (both sexes) who can only make it to league night because of their busy crazy lives. What I'm trying to say is, to each, his (her) own!!!

We all love the sport but to many differant degrees!!

#13 ·
I don't have too big of a problem with a person who can't field dress....I'm still learning I have only taken one deer and was being shown how. I got to pull the knife to open it up and he did the rest........

I would still like watch a few times while helping out.

I know a few guys who cannot get themselves to do it but are great hunters and outdoorsmen. Same with women, hard to love a sport and not be able to do a part of it............like said above to each their own. some people just can't see the blood??

I understand your point completely though. I do hope one day to be able to field dress it by myself but don't wanna screw things up and not throw up at the same time :D

#52 ·
I don't have too big of a problem with a person who can't field dress....I'm still learning I have only taken one deer and was being shown how. I got to pull the knife to open it up and he did the rest........

I would still like watch a few times while helping out.

I know a few guys who cannot get themselves to do it but are great hunters and outdoorsmen. Same with women, hard to love a sport and not be able to do a part of it............like said above to each their own. some people just can't see the blood??
:D
I have a friend and his dad who has hunted for years, They are both good hunters and even live in the mountains and have there whole life. Neither one of them can gut a deer or elk because it makes them gag. I clean animals for at least 50% of the people I hunt with male and female. My wife doesn't mind helping neither does my 14yr old sister. As a husband and a big brother I feel obligated not to make them do it.

I have a good friend who I hunted with when I was a kid, he loved to hunt and was fun to hunt with. When he was 13yrs old and shot his first elk his dad forced him to gut it and he never hunted again. That is one of the main reasons I will never make anyone gut a deer or elk. If they feel like watching and want to help that is great but it is not mandatory.

I really doubt very many of the people that you see on guided hunts on television, even some that have there own hunting shows field dress or pack there own animals out. Most of them don't even keep the meat. I have a friend that is a guide and he always dresses the animals that the people he takes on hunting trips kill.

I think it is great that more and more women are getting into hunting/fishing some may just be new to the sport. I just bought my wife a new Vixcen, it will be in next week. It will be here first bow. I know if you came up to my wife and asked here all kinds of questions about hunting you would be disappointed, but she loves to hunt never the less and is just getting into it, she is from the city originally but loves the country. Last year she bungled in a couple bull elk for me and thought it was great, she sat home learning how to bugle while I was at work. This coming year my wife will be the main person calling for me and with a little practice with her bow I will be calling for her as well.

Didn't mean to ramble so much, I am not sure if I should be making a comment on the womens forum. I was just over here trying to find some info on the vixcen when I saw this thread.

#16 ·
My wife has the pink stickers your talking about on her MINI VAN....yeah 3 kids...she drives a van...and still looks like a million bucks...she has harvested 3 deer and only gutted one...make her any less of a hunter...NOPE...she can bait her own line...but I do it for her....make her less of a fisherwoman..NOPE...
Im not sure how you can just look at a woman and see she doesnt know the ropes...my wife bow hunts and rifle hunts...she uses a 30-06...I bet you have more men that bow hunt and they have a worse form than most woman.....What Im saying is...I bet on some days you cant tell just how country my wife is...that would be judging a book by its cover....now wouldnt it

So next time a 90210 girl claims she is country....maybe you should take the time to help her out and show her just one good habit you have instead of turning your nose in the air like a 90210 snob....Maybe you need to be a little more country than that.........

#17 ·
Easy there killer, this is the womens forum, not general and we don't bash like they do over there so just take a few steps back....us women over here patrol our own forum and we don't appreciate men coming over here and jumping on us. Sure you can have your own opinion.....we all know what opinions are like....but we would appreciate it if you keep it over in your general forum where all the bashing takes place, we don't want it over here.

#18 ·
I have a bit of an opposite story to the fake girls...
One year when I was in college I got a summer job at a fish hatchery visitor center... my coworker hired at the same time was a local prissy sorority girl who hated fish and was basically terrified of nature.... (not sure why she applied or how she even got the job... one of those what the heck was everyone thinking moments) our ensuing friendship is what moves where made of ... by the end of the summer she had me getting foils and tanning on the beach... I had her going fishing and holding snakes and loveing it... I wish I could find the picture of the two of us posing with two hog-nose snakes in our hands. not sure if she can claim to be an outdoorsy girl but at least she can hold a decent conversation with one now...

#19 ·
girls

ok i think i may have stated my opionon wrong.. Maybe its just wear i live the girls try to act that way to get the guys.... I am not saying that a girl isnt as much as a hunter as i am because she dosent do it all herself, all i am saying, dont talk it if you dont walk it. Deerslayer-calm down. You are seeming to quick to judge me if you ask me.
And yes when i first started hunting my dad help me clean my animals. I agree with that point, but when i have talked to girls that hunt quite often and say they do stuff, but then when i go with them they wont do it??? thats what bothers me. I didnt mean to get a huge arguement out of this. sorry. I just stated my thoughts on how i felt. I understand some are more into the outdoors than others, and that there are going to be girls like that in this world. I know i can not change it, but that dosent mean i cant have my opinion.

#22 ·
ok i think i may have stated my opionon wrong.. Maybe its just wear i live the girls try to act that way to get the guys.... I am not saying that a girl isnt as much as a hunter as i am because she dosent do it all herself, all i am saying, dont talk it if you dont walk it. Deerslayer-calm down. You are seeming to quick to judge me if you ask me.
And yes when i first started hunting my dad help me clean my animals. I agree with that point, but when i have talked to girls that hunt quite often and say they do stuff, but then when i go with them they wont do it??? thats what bothers me. I didnt mean to get a huge arguement out of this. sorry. I just stated my thoughts on how i felt. I understand some are more into the outdoors than others, and that there are going to be girls like that in this world. I know i can not change it, but that dosent mean i cant have my opinion.
VERY WELL SAID....sorry if I stepped on any womans toes...was just kinda taking up for my mini van driving mama...LOL :thumbs_up

#20 ·
well you do me a favor and show me where my husband bashed anyone.I might just have to make my own account for this one.Im not one for fourms, but I do enjoy reading some of them...
So with that said absolute, maybe you need to read what he wrote again so you could inform me as to where my husband jumped on someone. Funny thing is, I was reading all this over his shoulder as he wrote and didnt see anything wrong with it. You kinda made it seem like the shoe fit. Carry on ladies and have a good day.
Thank you, Deerslayers Wife

#21 ·
girls

melissa- thats awesome.. and yes sometimes things workout like that. I guess because i would like more girlfriends who are into hunting as i am where i live, that i just get upset because its a let down when i find out that she really dosent know what she is saying, and that i cant have a conversation with her.

#30 ·
I guess I read it differently. I think it was very cool for deerslayer to "take up" for his wife. Yes, the snob remark was a bit over the top, but when we get emotional, we tend to write things differently. We must ALL remember that we can't read tone into written words. I'm glad all is well again. As for the girls who are "fakes" I am sure that the guys know that. There are some guys who like those dependent women, why is beyond me. As for me, give me a sharp knife and I'll help skin any day. :)

#31 ·
These forums are for opinions. People have the right to express them and not get bashed over the head for it. Yeah you shouldn't judge a book by its cover...yeah I understand how the whole "fake" thing irks you. But just be the better person and don't worry about how fake other people are being. It's not your problem. You are honest and open with your passion as a hunter! Take pride in that!

#32 ·
I don't feel that i'm less of a hunter than you ladys that seem to do it alll,my husband does the field dressing,only because i honestly don't want to,other than that,i skin, i help process it,and the best part,i can fix a h*** of a roast.My husband says that makes up for not field dressing it.Jutta

#34 ·
Heck yeah I have no problem letting my SO field dress for me if he wants to lol. I have no probs dragging my own deer. Helping etc........I plan on making bets with any fellow hunters once I know how to field dress to see who has to do it. ;)

#35 ·
I drive a truck, I have "Scottish and proud" stickers and the flag on my window too, I like to look good and can be feminine when the occasion calls for it. I take care of myself and I don't mind getting dirty, I bow hunt and use firearms too. I like to hang out with the boys and have a good time. I'm 20 miles from our biggest city, I live in a small town - I don't care what anyone thinks about me.

Life is too short :darkbeer:

#36 ·
I am not "girly" by any means.. I dont wear makeup (dont like it on me). and as for field dressin deer. The 1st deer I got was with a Muzzle loader and the hubby opened him up and said there ya go.. I got elbow deep in it but couldn't do it. He told me to step back and he would do it, that I had done more then he thought I would anyway. Now he guts em all for me as I "hold it open". the only time I almost got sick I was 2 months preg. :wink: But I drag and skin too. i suprised a guy friend of ours once when he had his son huntin with us and the dad go a nice buck. My hubby was at work. The friend told me if I would carry his bow he would drag it. I told him "no u carry your bow I carry mine, now grab the rack" I helped him drag and load it in our truck.

I do see where u are comin from on "fake" ladies. But I also know a lady that is in her 60's, drives a 2 seater BMW, dresses sharp cuz she is an occupational therop. at local nursing home/asst. care facitlity. But she can shoot a bow very well and also hunts. And we live in a small Arkansas town. So it is true not to judge book by its cover.. I just hate the ladies that turn their nose up when they here I hunt.. And I too drive a mini van, not a soccer mom.. I am an ARCHERY mom.. lol. I have a pink shootlikeagirl.com sticker on it too..:cool:

#38 ·
Just because a woman's form is not perfect does not mean she doesn't love the sport. It means she is still learning.

Just because a woman is capable of getting dressed up and looking great does not mean she's afraid to get muddy.

Just because she has not learned to gut a deer does not mean she doesn't enjoy hunting.

I pride myself on being comfortable in almost any environment- be it in the woods or at a 5 star restaurant. I wouldn't wear a dress in the woods, and I certainly wouldn't wear camo out to eat. I most certainly do not want to look like a hunter ALL the time, and shooting is not my only interest, though it is one of my passions. This is generally known as "well balanced" or "practical". Not "fake".

#42 ·
girls

well then you need to come to the south.... you arent getting what i said... i know a girls form dosent make her fake and that she is learning... We all started somewhere. Im not saying that its wrong to dress up and wear makeup. i do it. I am talking about the girls down here that lie about being outdoorsy, they say they hunt when they dont, only because they want to look like they do. They just want to look the part. I understand there is nothing i can do about it, but thats my opionion. I live right next to a cabelas, where i used to work. Girls would come in all the time and pretend to be outdoorsy so that they can get the guys lol ..... i just think its sad that some people have to act a different way because there not confident with who they are as a person. I know people are different, But when someone like that sits there and pretends it gets under my skin.

#43 ·
well then you need to come to the south.... you arent getting what i said... i know a girls form dosent make her fake and that she is learning... We all started somewhere. Im not saying that its wrong to dress up and wear makeup. i do it. I am talking about the girls down here that lie about being outdoorsy, they say they hunt when they dont, only because they want to look like they do. They just want to look the part. I understand there is nothing i can do about it, but thats my opionion. I live right next to a cabelas, where i used to work. Girls would come in all the time and pretend to be outdoorsy so that they can get the guys lol ..... i just think its sad that some people have to act a different way because there not confident with who they are as a person. I know people are different, But when someone like that sits there and pretends it gets under my skin.
Isn't it up to the guys to find out they're what you call a fake? I think they'd know that pretty quick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.