Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Game Season PA

Small Game Season PA

I was wondering if you can hunt chipmunks and red squirrels year round in PA. Someone in PA told me that they think chipmunks are protected in PA. Reason I'm asking is during the off season I like to hunt these little guys. Also wondering what you PA guys/gals hunt during the off season besides yotes. Thanks.
    G5 Quest QS33 VT C.V Pink peep with pink & purple strings with halo serving
    Vapor Trail Pro staff: Trophy Blend shooting staff
    CNC Sling Pro staff: U-Slide Pro Staff

Whistle Pigs (groundhogs)
    Yotes
    Crows

No Chipmunks thats illegal i dont understand why though or squirrels

groundogs

You'll likely loose an arrow or two, but it's fun - took one at 64 yards.
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

Quote Originally Posted by pabowhunter03 View Post
    Whistle Pigs (groundhogs)
    Yotes
    Crows

No Chipmunks thats illegal i dont understand why though or squirrels
    Yep!!!
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

chipmunks are I believe $500 a piece fine if you are caught shooting them in PA. I was also told chipmunks are on the endangered species list here in PA because there isnt as many of them as there used to be but I find that hard to believe. That was by an actual Game Warden

Quote Originally Posted by LXhuntinPA View Post
    chipmunks are I believe $500 a piece fine if you are caught shooting them in PA. I was also told chipmunks are on the endangered species list here in PA because there isnt as many of them as there used to be but I find that hard to believe. That was by an actual Game Warden
    I can't imagine how many there were before if they are suffering now
    Athens Afflixtion - 30/71
    MBG Rush Sight / Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro Rest / Treelimb Quiver / Stealth Stabilizer
    HTA Harvester 300's tipped w/ 125gr. Shuttle T's.....435 grains moving @ 306 fps

Are you for real they are protected? Man we have tons here in NY. Not sure if you can shot them here or not lol. But red squirrels you can hunt year around. So you can't hunt squirrels either? Or is it just one type like red, gray, black?

Quote Originally Posted by Horses&Hunting View Post
    Are you for real they are protected? Man we have tons here in NY. Not sure if you can shot them here or not lol. But red squirrels you can hunt year around. So you can't hunt squirrels either? Or is it just one type like red, gray, black?
    Yea protected here in PA, not sure about NY may wanna check on that, and yes that is pretty lame we cant kill the loud mouth lil . I believe squirels are only in during small game season here in PA, regardless of color or type.
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

Humm. Guess I'll be finding something new to shoot at. Yeah I'm not sure about here in NY, theres nothing in the NY game book about chipmunks, but says you can hunt red squirrels year around. Wow just never knew those little guys were protected. Just odd.

I called the game commission and asked a few different questions. Chipmunks are protected and about the only thing you can hunt is yotes and chucks. Darn. I just can't believe those little things are protected.

Northern Pa., NW corner of Bradford County
    Chipmunks are protected, no hunting any time and red squirrels open only during the regular squirrel season.

Also most Pa. people don't realize that Porcupines are protected as well. Don't ask me why as I was shocked to hear this as well but as a 20+ year HTE Instructor I have to keep fairly up to speed with such regulations.

You think it's hard to understand some things as an adult try explaining these things to 11 & 15 year old Son's who are obsessed with hunting and your trying to teach them to abide by the laws..

porkipines are protected to wow i never ever ever would have thought of that is there anything else that is protected that we probably dont know about?????

Yeah I would like to know as well. lol

Yup,......go figure that Porky's are protected but yet they reintroduce and release Fishers into Pa., the only animal that will prey on and eat Porky's.

Only in Pa.........

In the Pa. digest that you get with your license on the bottom of page 7.

Protected Mammals: Wild mammals not classified furbearers or game animals( For example: porcupines and chipmunks are protected)
    Protected Birds: Wild birds not classified game birds.

In other words if a specific bird or animal is not listed as HAVING any open season then it is considered protected.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffPaHunter View Post
    Yup,......go figure that Porky's are protected but yet they reintroduce and release Fishers into Pa., the only animal that will prey on and eat Porky's.

Only in Pa.........
    Jeff is correct here, quite backwards.

Look like parts of PA are also getting a 5 day trapping only season for Fishers this upcoming year Crazy.
    Aim steady. Shoot straight. Apoligize to no one.

They re- introduced fishers up there? They have never been totally gone from my area although they are really rare.

As far as in things to hunt in between the main hunting seasons

Crows- get a couple dozen Flu Fluand you will have a new 3 day a week obsession

Groundhogs- Pretty fun to spot and stalk.

Yotes- I like calling them in and shooting them out of my treestand. Pretty good practice for shooting out of a stand.

Since Fishers are quite proficient at tree climbing and love groves of mature pines where coincidentally Turkeys love to roost in bad weather, Fishers can take a toll on a local Turkey population.

After all, would you rather eat a Turkey or a Porcupine ?.....

deffinatly do alot of groundhog hunting mostly with the 22-250 though.

I also like to sit on my front porch and pick off starlings that land in my yard with the bow! haha keeps me sharp!
    If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil!!

Yea, a few years ago in certain area's the PGC released a small amount of Fishers as a reintroduction program. Not sure on the exact locations and #'s but it wasn't many as I understand. But with no real predators they could repopulate rather quickly.
    I myself haven't seen any here in the NW corner of Bradford county but I've heard reports of a spotting or two about 10 miles south of us just north of Troy but don't know if it's ever been confirmed.
    If I remember I'll have to ask the local WCO in a few weeks when I see him at our HTE classes unless I see him before then.

That is crazy. Guess I'll have to find a place to hunt chucks. Don't have them on the new property. Have a lot of crows tho. Guess I'll be looking for some flu flus lol.

This past bow season I saw one. Wasn't sure what it was at the time but learned it was a fisher. Awesome little things.

Also wondering what you PA guys/gals hunt during the off season besides yotes. Thanks.

Around here in the off season we hunt flat landers and NYer's for fun........

Just kidding...

That is crazy. Guess I'll have to find a place to hunt chucks. Don't have them on the new property. Have a lot of crows tho. Guess I'll be looking for some flu flus lol.

This past bow season I saw one. Wasn't sure what it was at the time but learned it was a fisher. Awesome little things.

You sure it was a Fisher ? Fisher are much larger than people realize. Largest member of the Weasel family. You may have seen a mink, just depends on your definition of "little thing".

Fishers are a medium-size mammal. Their body shape is long, thin, and low to the ground. The male being larger than the female. Males are between 35–47" in length and weigh between 8–11 lb. Females measure 30–37" and weigh between 4–6 lb. The largest ever male fisher recorded weighed 20 lb.

Dang those are some big guys. Guess this wasn't a fisher. This thing was little looked like a ferret kinda. Had a black mask like zorro. Was a fast moving thing.

Dang those are some big guys. Guess this wasn't a fisher. This thing was little looked like a ferret kinda. Had a black mask like zorro. Was a fast moving thing.
    I see them also in Centre county, they are mink

Ohh....and seaguls are federaly protected zip:zip
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast