Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot Hogg vs. Sword

Spot Hogg vs. Sword

Looking at two sights. I like the Spot Hogg (hunter hogg-it) wrapped, with either 3 or 5 pins. All Green. First pin .029 and the rest .019.
    The second sight is the Sword (twilight hunter) with all .019 pins.
    I'm confident that the Spot Hogg is a better sight, but is it over $100 beter?

They are both great sights but I feel the Spot Hogg is a better sight with its micro adjustment. Also the Spot Hogg will have much brighter pins with a wrap kit, I din't think the Swords were very bright without a light. To me the extra money is well spent on the Spot Hogg.
    Stage 1 Strings Hunting PS / Fury X Archery SS / Dead Center Archery PS / Slick Trick PS / Gold Tip AS / Carbomask PS / Trophy Blend Scents PS / Tenzing FS / Bohning SS / U-Slide PS / Spot Hogg PS / TightSpot Quiver PS / Mossy Oak PS / Swarovski Field Tech / Team QAD PS

Owned both and no the spott hogg is not 100 dollars better and the newer swords with the third axis are very sweet and built just as well as spott hogg.

I had a Spot Hogg. My fibers kept pushing out the front of the pin. I ended up selling it and bought a Twilight Hunter. I like it so far. They are both quality sights though, just depends which one you like better...
    Elite GT500 70lbs 28.5"~Sword Twilight Hunter 4 pin (hunting)~CBE Quadlite 3d(3d, target, field) ~Doinker Unity ~DCA Target (3d)~DCA Hunter (hunting)~Slick Trick 100grn standards

I have owned both, currently have the Sword on my bow. The Spot Hogg is a great sight, durable & bright provided you do have the wrap. However, while it is nice, microadjust is not necessary & the way you have to adjust their pins is a PITA. The Spot Hogg may be a little more durable, but the Sword is no slouch & the pin brightness on a Sword is incredible even without the light.

IMO, I'd go with the Sword & put the $100 towards something you NEED
    Athens Afflixtion - 30/71
    MBG Rush Sight / Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro Rest / Treelimb Quiver / Stealth Stabilizer
    HTA Harvester 300's tipped w/ 125gr. Shuttle T's.....435 grains moving @ 306 fps

I can only speak for the Hogg It myself, .19 pins and the small guard work to perfecto for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    I can only speak for the Hogg It myself, .19 pins and the small guard work to perfecto for me.
    Ditto....
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

I have 3 Spot Hoggs so I am set for life. I will never buy another sight again because they are bullet proof and have every feature I could ever want.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my HHA now.

Can only speak of the Sword. They are great. I have an Apex 3rd Plane and love it. The only thing the Spot Hogg has over the Sword is the micro-adjust. IMO, unless you are using a lens and need those super fine adjustments, you don't need the micro-adjust. I have been able to make adjustments down to 1/2" difference in point of impact at 25 yardson my Sword. They are built tough and the fibers are very bright. Nothing to justify me spending another $100 dollars when I can spend it on something else.

Spend the money you wont be disappointed I have had spot hoggs and swords and have to say for "ME" the hog was better

Hogg .. .go read their website and understand what they have brought to archery in the last 20 years plus ... IMO they have set the standard that others follow
    Hoyt RKT Matrix
    It's just a bow.. Shoot it
    Gut Piles Make Me Happy™

Quote Originally Posted by stixshooter View Post
    Hogg .. .go read their website and understand what they have brought to archery in the last 20 years plus ... IMO they have set the standard that others follow
    And as you stated that is just your opinion. I respectfully disagree.

Have had and used both. Spot Hogg is the much better sight and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by va limbhanger View Post
    ..........., but is it over $100 beter?
    Is the micro adjust worth $100 to you? It isn't to me.

New Breed Archery Shooting Staff - Cyborg, Eclipse
    Black Eagle Arrows Staff- Challengers, Carnivores, Zombie Slayers
    Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers Staff; Bernie's Knuckle Under Release; Stan SX2

Thaks everyone for the replies. I went off here last night with no replies at all, and was expecting not to see any today. It will more than likely come down to looking at them sise by side. Micro-adjustability is nice (have it on my Armortech), but I' using the bow for hunting only, so it will almost be a "set it and forget it" thing. It's rare that I change the poundage or arrow specs. to where I need to make a change in the sight. Maybe twice a year?
    The brightness of the pins is what concerns me about the Sword. I can see from the wrap on the Hogg that it will be bright, but I will be interested to see them side by side to judge the brightness. I have yet to look at the warranties either, so if both have the same warranty and the Hogg is far brighter then I will more than likely go with Hogg (hunter hogg-it).

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post
    Ditto....
    Indestructable, lifetime warranty, Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Rwainwright View Post
    Indestructable, lifetime warranty, Ditto!

This is another consideration for me. I can't seem to find anything on Swords website about their warranty? Anyone? Maybe I'll email them to see, but if it's a lifetime warranty I'm surprised they don't advertise that on their site?

O.k., my choice is starting to get a little easier. I've got an email in to Sword on their warranty, but If I had to guess I would say it's more than likely not lifetime because they don't even mention a warranty on their website (or I just didn't see it). So the advantages that a Spot Hogg has over the Sword are : (1) Lifetime warranty, (2) brighter pins because of the wrap, (3), micro-adjustability. As of now I think it's (Hogg) worth the extra coin.

Quote Originally Posted by va limbhanger View Post
    O.k., my choice is starting to get a little easier. I've got an email in to Sword on their warranty, but If I had to guess I would say it's more than likely not lifetime because they don't even mention a warranty on their website (or I just didn't see it). So the advantages that a Spot Hogg has over the Sword are : (1) Lifetime warranty, (2) brighter pins because of the wrap, (3), micro-adjustability. As of now I think it's (Hogg) worth the extra coin.
    Under Sword's old ownership they had great customer service...no questions asked. I've heard mixed reviews under the new ownership. Every time I've called Spot Hogg someone answers the phone and I get immediate help. The only SH warranty issue I had was the clear plastic piece around the hogg wrap breaking. New one in the mail same day. I've called to order new pins and fibers and get them quickly. Heck, you can even send in your sight and they will change out pin size and colors for you for I think just the price of shipping.

I just wish they made a true slider sight for hunting like HHA and Sword do. I don't like the bulk of the Tommy Hogg but my buddy has one and it's rock solid.

Fibers are better and pins much easier to adjust on the Hogg........well worth it.

I shot Spothoggs from the start. Love the sights.
    Bought a sword third plane and found the fibers easier to see.
    I use to break fibers on the S-hogg-it and seemed like they go dull after time.
    Quality is in the hogg sights. the fibers is my biggest complaint. red sucks.
    Sword I use now and have had it for about 3 years. its still bright. So much better I could use a 0.10 pin and see as well as the hogg-it with 0.19.
    If Spothogg changed fiber optics in there sight since then I may switch back because I really like the micro adjust and the pin adjustments. Not to mention the windage wire down the middle of the pins.
    and yes I used one with the wrap as soon as it come out.
    Be safe, Follow regulations and practice hunter safety.

Ive used my Hoggit for a couple of years and it is a well built and bright sight with the wrap. I just recently went with a Sword Twilight Hunter for my hunting bow and I love it. I don't need or want all the micro this and micro that for a hunting bow. I just wanted a sight that I could use for hunting that was strong and bright. The pins can be removed easily and fiber changes are not real difficult. The hogg is a lot more money as well. I will still use my Hoggit but only on my 3D bow...

Quote Originally Posted by Viper69 View Post
    Ive used my Hoggit for a couple of years and it is a well built and bright sight with the wrap. I just recently went with a Sword Twilight Hunter for my hunting bow and I love it. I don't need or want all the micro this and micro that for a hunting bow. I just wanted a sight that I could use for hunting that was strong and bright. The pins can be removed easily and fiber changes are not real difficult. The hogg is a lot more money as well. I will still use my Hoggit but only on my 3D bow...
    I sent an email to Sword about their warranty, and more than likely won't hear back from them untill next week at the earliest. Do you know what Sword's warranty is? It's not a deal breaker either way, but it's a factor.

If you are just looking for a hunting sight another one to look at is montana black gold very bright and a lifetime warranty on everything even the fiber optics, which is better than the hoggs warranty they dont cover the pins and they are cheaper.

I don't know how long the warrenty lasts, but their warrenty is as good as any. A bit hard to reach in getting an answer from them, but I believe the warrenty under new ownership is the same as the old. A customer of mine had his LED lights die and sword is in the process of getting him a new one. I have used both spot hogg and sword sights myself.

Spot hogg sights: bright pins, very solid, durable, great quality, great CS, and great warrenty

Only thing when I used them was that it was a tad bit hard to adjust the pins for me since you have to use the allen wrench to move left or right to lower or raise, then use a seperate hole to tighten it, etc. At least, it was with the last one I used.

Sword: bright pins, very solid, durable, great quality, good CS, and good warrenty as well

In my opinion, their pins are brighter. Because of how busy the new owners are, it usually takes a bit longer to get the sight out than the old owners. Reaching them by email is the best way to go for anything since they usually go to shows, etc. Basically, a tad bit harder to reach them in terms of communication with their busy schedules and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast