a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 OR Browning X-Bolt

Ruger M77 OR Browning X-Bolt

Which one would you go with? I was just about sold on the Ruger M77 but got offered an X-Bolt for a pretty good price, so now i'm tossin it around again

Ruger, i think brownings are trash nowadays (i own several beligum made medallions, have also owned several newer a-bolts)
    '10 pse xforce axe 6, 28.5" spot hog hunter, qad drop away,octane quiver Maxima 250s 375gr TGB tail lights grim reapers @ 291fps.

ruger

I have 3 rugers I would go with ruger

I am gonna have to vote Ruger as well. I have an M77 MK2 in 243 win and I love it.

Both will be good accurate rifles. I just purchased a browning A-bolt. I liked the stout 3-lug action as well as the smoothness of the action.

You won't go wrong either way.
    Happy the man and happy he alone; he who can call today his own; he who secure within can say, "tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today."--John Dryden
    "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the reply's guys

Ruger fan here.

Ruger

i dont know dude, there both great rifles but im going to have to go with the browning just cause i have more A-bolts and X-bolts than i do M77. i vote Browning

Love my A-bolt's

Why not get both?

I have a Ruger M77 MKII All Weather and I just ordered a new X Bolt. If it is like the other X Bolts I have witnessed and shot, it will be more accurate than my Ruger is "out of the box".

So, pick which ever one feels the best to you and go for it.

Rifles

Have you looked at a Browning X Bolt & Ruger side by side to compare? I have a X bolt in 270,synth. stock and its an excellent shooter w/factory and handloads,very handy clip and great trigger. They are both good rifles and you won't go wrong w/either.One other thing about the Browning is the short bolt lift.

Quote Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
    Have you looked at a Browning X Bolt & Ruger side by side to compare? I have a X bolt in 270,synth. stock and its an excellent shooter w/factory and handloads,very handy clip and great trigger. They are both good rifles and you won't go wrong w/either.One other thing about the Browning is the short bolt lift.
    What loads have you found most accurate in your X-Bolt? I just picked up my X-Bolt Hunter in 270 Win.

X Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by VAhuntr View Post
    What loads have you found most accurate in your X-Bolt? I just picked up my X-Bolt Hunter in 270 Win.
    The only bullet I've reloaded so is the 140gr Nosler Accubond w/Reloader 22,Rem. cases and Fed. match 210 primers.I've shot the Rem. 140gr Corloc Ultra and the rem. 150 RN. All shoot into 1"(3 shots).The Nosler will do .70/.80 if I 'm on.My rifle seems to produce high velocity numbers for example 3077/80 fps w/60gr of Rel.22.I hunt w/59gr @3000 or a shade less.This is the first and only set of componants I've shot so far.This summer I may tinker abit more but I'm happy with it as its not my primary deer gun anyway.H4831,Reloader 19 are good powders for the 270 as well.

Ruger Model 77 MKII .270, My dad bought me my first deer rifle at 12 yrs old. It is a great rifle and has never failed on me. I would go with a ruger any day, PLUS it made in the great U.S.A other than the browing that is made in Japan.

the brownings are a damn nice gun, they shoot good and are typically a little light than the 77, that being said the m77 is a damn nice gun is well.
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff
    Elite Z28 30/60
    Chief Arrow Stick Out

Quote Originally Posted by fireman333 View Post
    Ruger Model 77 MKII .270, My dad bought me my first deer rifle at 12 yrs old. It is a great rifle and has never failed on me. I would go with a ruger any day, PLUS it made in the great U.S.A other than the browing that is made in Japan.
    USA gets my vote too! Go for the RUGER

I picked up my new X-Bolt this week, so I will share some quick initial comparisons.
    Now keep in mind my Ruger 77 is the older MKII and not the Hawkeye, so here goes.

The Browning's fit and finish is much better, is glass bedded, has a much better user adjustable trigger, barrel is free floated, bolt operation is slicker, shorter bolt throw, and has a better factory recoil pad.

The Ruger does have a little more weight, so IMO it feels a little more rugged, is control round feed and it comes with scope rings. My Ruger trigger was almost 9 lbs from the factory with a lot of creep. My smith was able to get the trigger to a crisp 3.25 lbs for $35 bucks.

I think you will be fine with either one so pick the one you like the best. I will report back in a couple weeks when I shoot the rifle.

Browning

I just picked up a 243 X-Bolt. I have the Browning A-Bolts and all shoot accurately. They are great looking and light. Tried a Ruger before in a 22 had trouble with it. Still have a Ruger pistol and we have a 17 Caliber rifle. So I do use used both but my preference is with Browning.
    Robert J. Martin

Congrats on the new rifle. Browning has pretty much always made quality firearms that look as good as they perform. Ruger makes some solid, rugged firearms as well. Either is a good choice but I'd have to go with the Browning as well overall.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

So what is the major dif between the A and X bolt action?

The clip in the A-Bolt is a metal design and the X-Bolt is plastic one piece.
    The forearm is different but very unique in the X-Bolt.
    There is a Button on the X-Bolt while the gun is on safety that you can take out the shell.
    It has four screws on top for the front and rear scope to mount too.
    Robert J. Martin

there is no difference in the bolt or lugs or degree of bolt handle rotation to cycle the action?

Except for the additional safety. But everything else is the same with the bolt and lugs. Its called Top-tang safety with Bolt Unlock Button.
    Robert J. Martin

The X-Bolt has Browning's new Feather Trigger that feels crisper, lighter, and is user adjustable.

I have never been a huge fan of the A-Bolt...even though I know they shoot well...they just never felt right to me. Something is a little different with the X-Bolt though.....the stock feels better to me....which is why I decided to try one.

The magazine is polymer but looks to be very sturdy and feeds smooth. Not sure why they went with the scope base mounting system they did. The call it "X-Lock". Each base has 4 screws in each corner for a total of 8 screws. Not sure why they did this though....looks to me like if they wanted extra strength they could have went with larger screws.

I mounted a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece base/ring combo on mine. Hopefully I will be installing a Zeiss Conquest this evening. I will try to post some pics later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast