Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best broadhead for hogs

Best broadhead for hogs

I am more than likely going on a boar hunt this may. It will be my first time hunting them. For those of you that have done it, I want your opinion on broadheads. I use Tekans but I don't really know about using a mechanical on boars. If you have tried it, give me your input. Just want some opinions on what I should use.

Thanks and God bless
    ISAIAH 26:8

2012 ELITE ANSWER

I have hunted hogs a couple times. I wouldnt use a mechanical either. I used a zwickey or magnus traditional type head. thunderhead or a muzzy would prolly be fine too
    High Country Conquest
    Toelke Lynx
    Toelke Chinook
    Black Bear Warfbow
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear www.dirtnapgear.com

slick trick all the way

I used a rocky mountain revolution on a 375 pound boar. It hammered him. They dont make them anymore.... redesigned to something "better" too bad.

muzzy!

I'd go for something pointy and razor sharp.

Grim Reapers all the way. Killed 75+ hogs with them. Shot placement is also key.

Nice screen name also!!
    Mathews Z7
    Hawglite Prostaff
    Lumenok Prostaff

The last few hogs Ive taken with a bow have been with mechanicals. Im getting the same results as with whitetail when I switched from fixed............shorter tracking jobs.
    Last hog (boar) that I shot this year was with a Tekan I. Everything you could ask for. Complete pass thru and mega blood trail and one less hog.

IMO, I wouldnt change from what you are currently using for big NA big game.

Shot several from 50#s therough nearly 300. All with 3 blade Rocky Mountain fixed blades. 16 total in last 5-6 years.
    Always Thankful

if the place your huntin has big boar(250+) i wouldnt use mechanicals.i've used the shuttle t's to take 5 hogs in the last 2 years all pass throughs.hogs vitals set farther forward than a whitetails and you really have to hug the front shoulder.buddy of mine shot a 250lb boar at 8 yds quartered away with a 70lb drenalin ld 400gr arrow and spitfire the arrow only penetrated 6in. i finished off the hog 3 hours and 1/2 mile later with a shuttle t.......by the way nice username!!!!!!
    Rookie DIY Elkin 2014!!!!

i shoot them about every weekend and i use rage 2 blades but huge holes in them and they dont go far

Quote Originally Posted by mofarmboy View Post
    if the place your huntin has big boar(250+) i wouldnt use mechanicals.i've used the shuttle t's to take 5 hogs in the last 2 years all pass throughs.hogs vitals set farther forward than a whitetails and you really have to hug the front shoulder.buddy of mine shot a 250lb boar at 8 yds quartered away with a 70lb drenalin ld 400gr arrow and spitfire the arrow only penetrated 6in. i finished off the hog 3 hours and 1/2 mile later with a shuttle t.......by the way nice username!!!!!!
    Agree 100%... vitals are further forward AND a bit lower than a whitetail. The heart sits right behind the brisket/sternum in a hog. In my experience, quartering away shnots are the best situation, or the foreleg has to be forward exposing the vitals. Learned this the hard way as a kid hog huntin' in Texas.

I'm going to be going next month and trying Shuttle T's and I have My MX4's as a backup
    Z7 and Martin recurve
    Proud to be on the Wounded Warrior hog hunt at Shiloh...I am blessed

tekans

My bro smoked one with a Tekan last week. It ran about ten yards...Job well done. I wouldnt hesitate to use them after watching his pig go down so fast.

Hawk

Magnus Stingers, or Silver Flames.

Slick Tricks or G5 Stykers...tougher than any hog...And as always good shot placement
    SWITCHBACK XT..GOLD TIP ARROWS..SLICKTRICK 125grn MAG ..COPPER JOHN SIGHTS..VAPOR TRAIL STRINGS

I have tried alot of heads. Slick Trick standards for me.

This may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcYKwejBlE

I won't say their the "best" because I haven't tried every head on hogs...but I can say I have killed a lot of hogs and the best head I have found for them is the Steelforce Phathead. That may change here in a few weeks when I try the new Phathead SOB on them...

We have killed about 25 or so hogs in the last 2 years with Phatheads and there is no doubt that penetration and blood trails with these heads are notably better than with any heads I used in the past. One or two hog kills don't mean much because hog size and shot placement plays such a big part in end result...but when you stack up a bunch of kills then you can start to get a good idea of how the head is performing.

We have several kills on video on our website in my sig line.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlhredfoxx View Post
    Agree 100%... vitals are further forward AND a bit lower than a whitetail. The heart sits right behind the brisket/sternum in a hog. In my experience, quartering away shnots are the best situation, or the foreleg has to be forward exposing the vitals. Learned this the hard way as a kid hog huntin' in Texas.
    I love Grim Reapers and use them for everything in Montana. I took them to Texas last winter and got into a 300 lb boar. At 16 yards my arrow only made about 16 inches of penetration. The same setup shot through a quartering away bull elk at 48 yards the previous fall. The shield on that hog was an inch thick!! It sounded like I shot into concrete. I think you would have no problem with the broadheads you are using on smaller pigs but if you get into a big one you better wait for the quartering away shot. Confidence is everything in bowhun ting so if you are confident with your setup then stick with it. When I went down this winter for hogs, I knew I would only be shooting 30 or less so I sighted in heavy arrows(430 gr) and shot shuttle T's just to be sure. They blew right through the pigs. Have fun and good luck!!
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
    Tight Point Shuttle T's 100 grain
    Grim Reaper 100 gr. Razortips-"Watch Em Drop"
    Easton Axis 340
    Black Gold Pure Gold sight, Ripcord Rest, Tight Spot Quiver and Carter releases.

When I went down to Texas last year, I used the 100 grain Wac'ems. Complete pass through with a Firecat set at 50#.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeS View Post
    When I went down to Texas last year, I used the 100 grain Wac'ems. Complete pass through with a Firecat set at 50#.

that's what i was using as well, switched over to the Strikers for some reason...but the Wac'ems did the job!

Phatheads very very durable and they fly like darts

Two, possibly three, blade fixed.
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II
    www.Starrflight.com FOB MOB

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Todd View Post
    Grim Reapers all the way. Killed 75+ hogs with them. Shot placement is also key.

Nice screen name also!!
    I've killed a ton of hogs with Grim Reapers as well. Nasty holes.

rage two blade worked good for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast