Thread: Bowtech Guardian. What spine and center shot?

Bowtech Guardian. What spine and center shot?

I've read that the Bowtech CP's like a weaker spined arrow. According to TAP, my CX Max Hunter 350's should be tunable. I've read on AT that my 350's are too stiff for my setup.

I can get a bullet hole, but that's with my QAD HD rest 10/16" from the riser (I'm getting no contact as verified by a foot powder test). That's too close for my comfort, and I've read that it should tune at 13/16" from the riser as long as the bow is in tune and you are shooting the correct spine for your setup.

DL is 27, DW is 70, raw shaft length is 26 1/2" w/a 100 gr. tip.

I'm thinking I need a 400 spine, but have been told that I very well might need a 500 due to how the CP's really favor a weak spined arrow.

Would appreciate input and advice.
    Hunting Rig - Hoyt Carbon Element - QAD HDX - HHA DS-XL5519 - Carter Target 3 - Stokerized SS1 - Easton ACC - Slick Trick Magnums

Bowfishing Rig - PSE Tidal Wave - Muzzy XD Reel - TJE Shoot Thru Reel Saver - Whisker Biscuit Bow Fishing Rest - AMS Bowfishing Arrows & Points

I am shooting 60lb at 27 inches, using axis 400 and have great results, and eye balled the center shot and get bullets holes,

Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    I am shooting 60lb at 27 inches, using axis 400 and have great results, and eye balled the center shot and get bullets holes,
    How far away from the inside of the riser is your center shot?
    Hunting Rig - Hoyt Carbon Element - QAD HDX - HHA DS-XL5519 - Carter Target 3 - Stokerized SS1 - Easton ACC - Slick Trick Magnums

Bowfishing Rig - PSE Tidal Wave - Muzzy XD Reel - TJE Shoot Thru Reel Saver - Whisker Biscuit Bow Fishing Rest - AMS Bowfishing Arrows & Points

Mine is 13/64 centershot and tunes fine with .340 spine but my arrows are 29". Shooting 62# at 30.5 draw. A .400 spine would work better for you I think.

Marc

Talking

I have the 70# guardian also and was having a great deal of trouble getting broadheads to shoot with fieldpoints past 30 yds. I was shooting 28" goldtip 5575 XT hunters, with 100 gr slicktrick broadheads. I finally went to proshop and started shooting different spined arrows through paper. Shot several different arrows and finally ended up with Easton StEpic with 2" blazers and 100 gr G5 strikers. Went out and immediately started shooting great groups out to 50yds with both field tips and broadheads. I even shot other types of 400's but my bow shot the StEpics the best. I went on a hog hunting trip two days later and scored my 1st hog with my bow. The Pro shop guy was very surprised that my setup liked that light spined arrow also. I am left handed and my bow is center shot at 13/16" . I also have the limbdriver fallaway and it is very well suited to my bow. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by harden13 View Post
    Mine is 13/64 centershot and tunes fine with .340 spine but my arrows are 29". Shooting 62# at 30.5 draw. A .400 spine would work better for you I think.

Marc
    Surely you mean 13/16"?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel View Post
    Surely you mean 13/16"?
    13/16" is right down the middle of the trough in the shelf and is where my Guardian like center shot set.

I have shot everything from 2712s to axis .500 and they all tune best here when spined right.

My favorites have been ACC .390 - 100 gr. nib 27 " from end to nock valley @ 28 1/2" DL (true measured) and 68 # DW.
    signed by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel View Post
    I've read that the Bowtech CP's like a weaker spined arrow. According to TAP, my CX Max Hunter 350's should be tunable. I've read on AT that my 350's are too stiff for my setup.

I can get a bullet hole, but that's with my QAD HD rest 10/16" from the riser (I'm getting no contact as verified by a foot powder test). That's too close for my comfort, and I've read that it should tune at 13/16" from the riser as long as the bow is in tune and you are shooting the correct spine for your setup.

DL is 27, DW is 70, raw shaft length is 26 1/2" w/a 100 gr. tip.

I'm thinking I need a 400 spine, but have been told that I very well might need a 500 due to how the CP's really favor a weak spined arrow.

Would appreciate input and advice.
    I think a .400 spine closer to 28" might work better for you or maybe a 25" .500 spine if you want to go lighter, for a 3D arrow.
    signed by me.

Oops!!!!! Yes I do!!!!

Marc

Any other Guardian owners out there?

I shoot my Guardian at a 27" draw also and shoot bullet holes with Beman ICS Hunters in .400 at 27 1/8" length. At #70 also. My center shot is right at 13/16 also.
    '08 Bowtech Guardian- QAD Pro HD-Spot Hogg Boss Hogg!-Northern Lites Stabilizers-
    '08 Martin Mystic Furious X-Spot Hogg Hogg Father TrueSpot Double Vision scope-Northern Lites Stabilizers-TT Spring Steel-Winners Choice Strings
    Vortex Binos....THANKS VORTEX!!!

340 spine

I am shooting 62 lbs., 28" draw, with a 29" 340 spine FMJ arrow with a 125 grain head. Superb accuracy. However, I can shoot 27 1/2" Gold Tip Pro Hunters 5575 (400) spine with equal accuracy. I prefer the 340 spine FMJ's. I like the weight. I've also shot 7595 (340) spine Gold Tips with excellent results as well. I prefer a slighty stiffer, heavier spined arrow.
    My center shot is 13/16".
    Elite GT500
    Bowtech 82nd Airborne
    Bowtech Guardian

I shoot a Guardian at 70lb. 26.5" draw with a 26.5" arrow. I shoot Beman TR MFX 400s. I dont papertune my bow, I only use it for hunting. I have no problems tuning broadheads or walkback tuning with the 400s. The other guys are right on the centershot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun83 View Post
    Actually its more like me asking you about the iphone and you responding "I own one... But not for making calls, I prefer morse code."

I just switched from beman ics hunter 340s to Easton FMJ 400s. I was shooting the the 340s really well but I wanted to see if the weaker spine would make a difference. I can say that the 400s shoot just as well if not better(hard to say until I get more shots with them).

I'm shooting 70lb @ 28"DL measured, with a 28" arrow and 100gr. tip. I'm getting perfect bullet holes and I'm also at 13/16.