Archery Talk Forum banner

Looking for a new bow 4/26" DL, 400 grain Arrow and 300fps

4K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  Newhunter1 
#1 ·
Ok everyone...here's my situation.

I currently have a 2003 Bowtech Mightymite with a 26" draw 70lbs and shooting 238-240 fps with a 400 grain arrow. The arrow is the easton axis 400 with a 100 grain head.

I will be keeping this bow for this next up coming hunting season (2010-2011).

Here is what I am looking for:

I would like a bow that is either a 70 lb bow or even a 60lb bow. I would like to buy a bow that is shooting an arrow around 280-300+ fps range. What ever bow I get I do not mind keeping the GPI at 5 grains per pound of pull. My current arrow is about 5.7 grains per pound...anyway if I get a 60 lb bow I'd like the arrow in the 300 grain range and a 70 lb bow with an arrow in the 350 grain range.

Since its been 6 years since last looking at bows to buy I don't really know what bows are out there. Today I was looking at the PSE X-force bow with a 5 1/2" brace height...I mean WOW! That to me is just crazy...I don't know if I could actually shoot that bow accurately.

I am going to have to when I buy my new bow buy new arrows...especially if I drop my draw weight to 60lbs.

I'd like to hear from those who have a 26" DL and shoot an arrow in the 300-400 grain weight.

Thanks

NH1

See less See more
#2 ·
Darton makes two to your liking. The Pro 3800 and the Pro 3500SD (short draw) Both are rated at over 300fps.

#4 ·
Thanks...have you shot this bow and what speeds did you get.

The ratings of the bows really don't apply to people with the short DL's. I was thinking that since the IBO's are for 30" pulls and 70# and a 350 grain arrow. I think for every inch of pull lost that equals 12-15 fps lost.

I will check them out...and see if I can't find a shop that sells them so that I can shoot them.

#5 ·
Just checked out the darton and it's rated at 27" but the issue is I don't have a local shop that sells darton.

My shop sells, Matthews, hoyt, PSE, Mission
Other shops sells bowtech's, matthews, and other bows...Closest dealer is 3 hours away from me.

#7 ·
What's the weight of your arrow?

#12 ·
I know what you mean about the 5.5 inch brace height but for us short draw archers its very very do able since our powerstroke is less. Heck there is alot of guys with 28-30 inch draws shooting the omen and say its more acurate than the shooter ever will be so dont let it shy you away to much. I shoot a Reezen 6.5--26in draw--70lbs--290fps--and its either a 356 or 362 grain total arrow weight i cant remember which one. any bow with a 340+ IBO rating should get you 290+ fps or more with a finished arrow weight of 350 grains or less. So i say find some in that category and go shoot them and see which feels best.
Good luck with which ever one you pick.

#16 ·
I am going to second the SR-71 by Strother very smooth for a speed bow and I think IBO in the low 350's that will get you 300+...

#17 ·
I think an Alphaburner should put you in the low to mid 290's @ 70lb / 26" and 5gpp.

#18 ·
good luck

that is going to be a tall order to fill - even those who have chimed in aren't shooting a 400 grain arrow -

if it has to be 300fps (which I'm not sure why) - you may need to bump up to 75 or 80lbs. AND I'd look at an 2008.5 Elite GT500 - you'll get a lot of input from folks, but trust me it is a .5" short on draw length - which would allow you to get an extra .5" - every rig I have ever shot was 29.5" , (mathews, hoyt, Slowtec :)D), etc...) the 29.5" GT was just too short - the 30" was perfect - several others report the same/similar -

I'm getting 310fps on 363grain arrow at just 63lbs draw weight (but that's at 30" draw)- if I were to add an additional 37 grains to my arrow my speed would likely drop into the 240-250FPS range

like I said - good luck!

#20 ·
if it has to be 300fps (which I'm not sure why)
Does not have to be 300fps...that is a dream wish..anything above 280 fps would be great.

Thanks for the help...I'll start looking now for next year.

#19 ·
Roughly speaking, you need a bow with at least IBO 330 at 26" to get above 280 fps assuming you have around 15-20 gr. on the strings (Using a 350 gr. arrow/70# as your frame of reference) To get the top range you are looking for you will have to be at or above 345 IBO. PSE AXE 6, Dream Season, Omen, Mathews Monster, Strother sr71, Destroyer 340,350, Bear Attack, Elite Judge, etc. will put you above 285 fps. I'm sure there are many more, but just offhand these are the ones that come to mind.

#21 ·
I would think any bow with a IBO of 340 would get you there at 70# and a 350gr arrow...you should drop 35fps with your 26" draw weight from IBO speeds...you should be pretty close to the same speed with a 60# bow and a 300gr arrow...todays bows with a low brace height are very shootable..they arent the wrist slapers like bows in the past...you might put this in the general archery section also...JMO

#26 ·
Sig. The Destroyer 350s seem to be about a half an inch short, so you could probably get it set to 26.5 and be ok. Roughly 10fps per inch so you would be around 305 at 26.5". My string is loaded with a peep, loop and one of those little rubber bumpers all Bowtechs come with tied in for a kisser. Arrow is a Gold Tip @ 27.5" with 2.1" Fusions, 100gr points and a standard nock. Or you could get a Death grip and set it at 27" and be at 310. Shorter arrows = lighter as well. I think the rough numbers are 1fps per 5gr.

I changed my arrows a bit and went with Tune A Nocks and 4" wraps. I think the loss/gains will even it out though and I will still be at 310.

I also noticed my timing marks are not quite even after shooting it a bit and I might gain a little once I get it tuned again....

#27 ·
for all the criteria you have listed in the title 26", 70lb, 400gr arrow = 300 fps
with a loaded string I believe there are only two bows out there that will meet that criteria....... Monster XLR8 and PSE Omen...... you will need a bow with a 360 IBO rating to fit your needs.

Although there are a lot of popular speed bows (D350, Alphaburner, Monster, SR71, and DS UF) that have a little more brace height and a 350 IBO rating that will still give you speeds in the 290-295 range with the 26", 70lb, 400gr arrow = 300 fps criteria you want.

I'm a 27" draw myself AND a former owner of a Mighty Mite (8.5") so I can say with confidence your criteria IS POSSIBLE and don't settle for anything less than what you want in performance...... Don't be afraid of this generations speed bows.

#28 ·
Thank you...I was looking at the brace height of the PSE with a 5 1/2" height. Since I've been shooting the MM now for 8 years I've become used to this...so I am looking at the PSE and will look at the low BH bows (5-6 1/2") I will shoot those bows you mentioned and see where I get.

Paul

#35 ·
You can get in the high 280'sfps to low 290s.With a Elite GT500 with the optional cuda cams an a 350grain arrow.These bows are killer if you ask me..And if you pick up a used on its still has a full warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.