Thread: How to measure bow strings????

How to measure bow strings????

This may be a dumb question, but I am working on a couple of bow projects and it just occured to me how do you actually measure bow strings and cables?

Is the measurement from outside of loop to outside of loop, middle of loop to middle of loop, just end of string to end of string in front of the loop? I guess I've always taken it for granted and used the limb sticker measurements when ordering strings but never thought about where the actual measurement measure to! So how do you measure strings and cables?

THANKS,
    Clint
    Soggy Bottom Archery Outdoor Videos
    Buckeye Hollow Outdoors Video Staff

inside of loop to inside of loop, I use a piece of 2x10 with a nail in it I hook 1 loop over the nail and pull the string tight then measure from the nail to the inside of the loop on the far end, add or remove twists as needed then clip the 2 ends together until they go on the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by gitzitfish View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but I am working on a couple of bow projects and it just occured to me how do you actually measure bow strings and cables?

Is the measurement from outside of loop to outside of loop, middle of loop to middle of loop, just end of string to end of string in front of the loop? I guess I've always taken it for granted and used the limb sticker measurements when ordering strings but never thought about where the actual measurement measure to! So how do you measure strings and cables?

THANKS,
    Clint
    standard method is to place a 1/4 inch pin in a board, place loop over it stretch under 100 lbs tension, and measure inside to inside of loops

How about a vintage bow and it has no markings and it has no string, i just got told im being sent one and im trying to figure out what to do with it, isnt it 3 inches shorter than the bows length for the string?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_bear View Post
    How about a vintage bow and it has no markings and it has no string, i just got told im being sent one and im trying to figure out what to do with it, isnt it 3 inches shorter than the bows length for the string?
    For a recurve its 3 1/2 to 4" shorter than the bow.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

Quote Originally Posted by beaverman View Post
    inside of loop to inside of loop, I use a piece of 2x10 with a nail in it I hook 1 loop over the nail and pull the string tight then measure from the nail to the inside of the loop on the far end, add or remove twists as needed then clip the 2 ends together until they go on the bow.
    Good luck pulling 100 pounds that way. To get a accurate measurement you need 100 pounds of tension
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

AMO COMPOUND BOW STRING LENGTH STANDARD
    Compound bowstring length shall be designated by its stretched length as
    determined by placing the string loops over 1/4” diameter steel pins and stretching
    with 100 lbs. of tension. Measurement is taken from outside of pin to outside
    of pin. Tolerance is +- 1/4” after 20 seconds under tension lo

here you go
    PARK-N-SONS ARCHERY CUSTOM STRINGS AND TUNING LLC
    "ADVANCING ARCHERY ONE STRING AT A TIME"
    BCY-X/452X, Stormy Hardwoods, Spot-Hogg, Tight Spot, TRU Ball, Carter, Limb-driver Rests, Black Eagle Arrows, Doinker Stabs, Vortex Optics, Hamskea
    String and tuning inquiries please visit my web site parknsonsarchery dot com CONTACT US