Thread: Archery in the Schools Program / Mathews Inc.

Question Archery in the Schools Program / Mathews Inc.

I've had an invite to perform an archery demonstration in a local private school.

Heere's my perdicament......

Most of the schools around here won't let us come in due to liability scares. This school called begging me to come, and want their students to participate, but they don't have any equipment or funding for equipment.

Now I understand that just the opportunity to watch a real stud such as myself knock out 12 rings for a while is a treat in itself But the physical education teacher wants the students to be able to participate and actually experience shooting.

I heard a rumor that Mathews has a "loaner" program utilizing their Genesis line. I could get the funding from other sources to cover shipping and have a donor standing by that'll spring for targets.

Does anyone know if Mathews has a program in place for such a need???

Thanx in advance. We'd like to jump on this opportunity.

go to ...

www.nasparchery.com

Also, I know my local shop helps with the local boy scouts and other orginazations on the Genisis project.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Sage

I can see it now.

Hoyt pro calling and asking for Mathews. That should go over well.

No way DB.....

Gonna have thedarkarcher do it

Smart Guy

He has all the pull with Mathews being the top gun and all.

"Now I understand that just the opportunity to watch a real stud such as myself knock out 12 rings for a while is a treat in itself But the physical education teacher wants the students to be able to participate and actually experience shooting."

I had the same issue with scouts up here - they kept wanting me to come in shoot and then "talk" about archery, but without having the kids shoot I thought it had limited value. Eventually they took the hint and started going to the local indoor for "archery nights".

Personally if they are looking for bows, I think recurves are a better over all purchase for that situation over the long term..

-CG

HoytPro,

I've been teaching for about 5 years now and always like to introduce the topic of archery (any chance I get)....but others are correct in the assumption that students will take in SO MUCH MORE if they are allowed to "participate" in the activities you wish them to learn from/about. As a private school (i've worked in one) I know that it is sometimes difficult to come up with equipment and/or money to do "fun things" or "extracurricular" activities such as archery with the kids. Try checking out the local high schools and/or colleges because they are willing, many times, to help out other students. The simplest way to do this is to call the school....but 9 times out of 10 you get better results by showing up, speaking with the office personnel (principal, etc) and requesting a meeting with the athletic director. Just state the case, the equipment you need,e tc and you may be suprised. I know that they aren't nice and shiny new compounds, but think of how much fun the kids would have....shooting those bows and watching the skills that you have! Kids are great, they are our future and I commend you with greatness for attemting to take on a task! Kudos to you! If you were in the area I'd be glad to help you out with the communication via schools too!

But if you have a hookup with the Genesis bows.....that ain't too shabby neither!

hoyt pro .....you have a pm
    My sponsors: Mathews, Sure Loc, Nikon, Easton, Muzzy, Carter, Morrell, Trophy Taker, Dead in Stabalizers
    Shoot Straight and Have Fun Doing it

Hoyt,

Your requirements for equipment might not be as large as you think. I assume that going into a school setting, you'll likely be dealing with complete newbies to the sport..... or those with limited knowledge. In any event, you'll want to keep the number of individuals with bows in their hands, at any given time, down to a small number. Way easier to control, and keep safe.

I used to participate in a similar program to what you are thinking of doing. The difference being that the program was sponsored by a local pro-shop, and the schools sent the kids out to the range to play. We let the kids shoot in small groups.... everyone got a turn. A few times a year now, I help our club host a group of boyscouts and girl guides..... we do the same thing..... few bows, small groups.

If you could round up a half dozen red recurve bows, a couple dozen arrows, and a few targets you'd be fine. I'm willing to bet that if you approached a few of your local shops, or distributors, you'd find more than enough support for your efforts.

Keep it simple, no need to go hitech on them. Kids just love to fling arrows.

Dennis
    Last edited by Grey Eagle; October 14th, 2004 at 09:31 AM.

Yep,

I did the middle school thing again this week, Tuesday to be exact.

We did a field trip to the local scouting reservation and used their equipment, which consisted of the red fiberglass compounds and cedar arrows with fletchings. I had 6 kids on the line at a time with big bullesye targets at about 12 yards.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Thanx for the info guys.

Got the PM Connie. You're the man..... I mean woman

I've got some of my staff that's going to help on the line to keep it safe.

Slammin..... the public schools have shut us out...... Liability

Grey Eagle...... nothing too technical. Just gonna bring it and fling it.

The school won't let us talk about bowhunting

But as long as we get to let the kids shoot it'll be a good start.

Catholic School. Middle and High School students....... (easy now Billy Ray...... we got plenty of help already )

Archery in the school Program

I too have been trying to have the program introduced in NY State. The proper chain of command would be to contact Brendan Industries"Genisis" and ask for Kevin Stay, 608.269.0832 for the equipment reqirements, they will ask you to get in touch with Roy Grimes, he is the brainchild behind the program. Roy will need to meet with your state Consevation Dept of Wildlife commitee to have the program instated. Takes time but well worth the effort.