Thread: Which is more difficult to hunt? Turkey or Deer?

Hybrid View

Which is more difficult to hunt? Turkey or Deer?

I'm sure this has been discussed at one point or another, but I'm curious what you guys think. My buddy and I recently debated which is more difficult to hunt, turkeys or deer. My vote was for deer, for a variety of reasons, but # 1 is because the scent component can stop things before they even begin.

What do you guys think? Turkey or Whitetail?
    Mark K
    Wired To Hunt
    The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
    www. WiredToHunt .com

Deer. They are smarter. And their brains are much bigger.

Mature deer are harder for me than turkeys. I wanna say the turkeys in the east are a little more wary than ones I've seen in the midwest.
    New Archery Nation Field Staff

Personally turkeys are harder for me, but it a really close race. It might also be that I have poor luck with turkeys because I almost always seem to get caught.
    Shop shooter for Advancement Archery in Mineral Point, WI

Target Bow= 2011 Hoyt Alpha Elite 56#, Ax 4500 w/CR scope 5 power, Shrewd Stabilizers, TT spring steel

id say turkeys, if were talking no blind like i usually hunt em. can be hard.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

I would have to say Turkeys cause i have never killed one. Been hunting them for 5 years and have never even got close to them. I think I just suck at calling LOL

Mature animals are a different story but I do believe the "average" deer is a lot easier to kill than the "average" turkey. Turkeys seem to be cronic paranoids in my area and don't have the curiousity that average deer do.
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

I have more problem with deer. They seem to use some form of wizardry..

Depends on a lot of factors. Bowhunting turkeys in a blind is relatively easy, not so much without one. Deer aren't easy to hunt in most any case so I guess by and large, I'd go with deer as the more difficult animal to hunt.

I am going to say probably turkeys more than deer. I feel that I can pattern deer alot easier than I can turkeys. Also if turkeys had any sense of smell we would never kill those dang birds.
    MC-130J Crew Chief

Bowtech Destroyer 350LE

its hard to compare them unless you look at it like this. lets say a 4 year old tom vs a 4 year old buck. which is harder? my vote goes to the deer for a few reasons. turkey you can get away at times with noise and a little slop and still get him. with deer you have the wind factor and any out of the ordinary noise and he is gone. on top of that deer move all night long so you dont know where he is in the morning unlike turkeys which you can roost and be right under them come daylight the next morning. now lets talk a jake turkey and a spike deer. still the same thing but most spikes wont run at the first hint of a human. jake turkeys will come into just about any calling and are not very wary at all. i still say its harder to kill a spike but not much harder. on top of that you can listen for the birds to gobble and give away their location....deer dont make a peep. turkey hunting to me is more exciting due to the calling factor but if you ask would i rather shoot a 10 inch beard or a 150 class blacktail and i'd prob say the 150 blacktail everytime

Turkeys on average are harder.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

i seem to have a aharder time with Turkeys than deer..granted most deer i have shot have been does but i cant seem to do much with the Turkeys....still love chasin them anyways which is the most fun part
    Hoyt Carbon spyder turbo
    Trophy taker Smackdown pro
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
    B-stinger stabs

This depends on WHERE you are hunting! Some places are flooded with Turkey and getting one in isn't very hard at all. Same with deer. Other places are exactly the opposite for either creature.

I'm in my 4th year of Turkey hunting and I still have not got one, so for me Turkey hunting is much harder than deer.
    Barnett quad 400, NAP Spitfire MAXX 125 gr.
    06 Reflex Highlander,Trophy Ridge FlatLiner, Wolfden Strings, Gold Tip XT, New Archery Products QuikTune 360 CaptureRest

question was harder to hunt not kill,mature buck without ?
    you and him one on one with no scents or attractents
    no food plots or bait,lets see how well you do

i vote deer because they have great noses. they also don't vocalize like turkeys do giving away their location. turkeys might just seem harder because its such a short season compared to deer.
    Prime Centroid 62lbs
    GT Velocities 300's Rage 125 Extremes
    Owner of: Foerster's Meat and Mounts
    Ask about our euro mounts

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfoerster View Post
    i vote deer because they have great noses. they also don't vocalize like turkeys do giving away their location. turkeys might just seem harder because its such a short season compared to deer.
    bet the reason alot of guys dont get them is because there over calling them to.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

Too many different elements and variants involved for it to be a simple answer between the two.

Out here on the West Coast, we can't hunt deer like they do back East.

A mature whitetail is hands down harder to bowhunt in MOST cases. However, take a blind out of the equation for bowhunting turkeys and you have one of the toughest quarry to arrow with a bow.

How about when its just you with your bow, at ground level, using no decoy, blind, treestand etc? Turkeys hands down then.

Otherwise, it really depends how you go about it.

deer for me.

turkeys in my area are really really dumb. and theres lots of them.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff