Thread: What is a large oak tree worth?

What is a large oak tree worth?

I am going to have a large oak tree removed from a house we are buying. The tree is close to three feet in diameter and fairly straight. My brother seems to think someone will pay me to take it. Any thoughts?

Talk to the people who you think will buy it first. I had a large Oak fall in a storm at the farm. When I went looking for people to sell it to, none were interested in it. I could not figgure out why. Talking to a forester I found out why. Oak wood changes color within 48 hours if it is not taken to the lumber mill and cut right away. If you cut the tree down and do not have it at a lumber yard within that time it is junk. Sell it and have them cut it down themselves. Now for value, $2000 minus the labor cutting and cutting into usable wood.
    Back to the car 1962 Pontiac Tempest, fun car.
    Target Hoyt Recurve
    Hunting Pearson Competiton Spoiler, old but does the job.
    Sanity is for Sissys

Brockwell, AR is home college in Fayetteville
    If you can't find a mill to take it you might try cabinet or custom furniture makers. They are alway looking for prime wood.

Hey neighbor, let me know and I'll come out there with my 029 Farm Boss and splitter. I can always use good firewood!
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Maxxis 35 / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD Ultra HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger Stabilizer / Carter RX1 / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

Don't forget stuff like burls or the stump as figured wood often has a higher value for cabinet making.
    I hold these to be the two greatest human values ever: Firstly, unconditional and universal love of all beings, and then, the sense of humour, with love giving meaning to our lives, and the sense of humour giving us solace from love. Doris Lussier
    "Humanity has evolved - as far as it has evolved," continued the old priest " with no thanks to its predecessors or itself. Evolution brings human beings. Human beings, through a long and painful process, bring humanity." Endymion

Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
    Talk to the people who you think will buy it first. I had a large Oak fall in a storm at the farm. When I went looking for people to sell it to, none were interested in it. I could not figgure out why. Talking to a forester I found out why. Oak wood changes color within 48 hours if it is not taken to the lumber mill and cut right away. If you cut the tree down and do not have it at a lumber yard within that time it is junk. Sell it and have them cut it down themselves. Now for value, $2000 minus the labor cutting and cutting into usable wood.
    Is it red oak, white oak?
    White oak goes for about $3 per board foot (over 18 inches on small end)
    Red oak goes for about $1-1.70 per board foot.
    How big is your tree?

Radman...I don't know who told you that, but he must have been into the sauce
    The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes....the average response time of a 357 Magnum is 1,400 feet per second.

Boars--->Longbeards--->Bears--->Boars--->Ram--->Antelope--->Whitetail--->Pheasant--->Boars--->Repeat

BROADHEAD TUNING<-----Click

About tree fiddy

This message brought to you by the letter 3

We are hopefully closing on the house within the next week or two. When I get some time I will take a closer look and update. Thanks for all the info so far guys!!

Exclamation In the yard

A lot of mills won't take trees that were / are in yards. Too big of a chance of nails and other items in them that could ruin their saw blades, and hurt someone.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongshot View Post
    I am going to have a large oak tree removed from a house we are buying. The tree is close to three feet in diameter and fairly straight. My brother seems to think someone will pay me to take it. Any thoughts?