Thread: center shot

center shot

I have a 2008 Hoyt Ultra-Elite with 3000 limbs. I am trying to set the center shot. I think I have it set but it looks like it is a little to the inside. It measures 11/16" from the inside of the riser to the center of the arrow. Does this sound about right?

I'm not sure what the exact measurement is, but I made a center-shot locator tool thingy like the one in this video at 4:10. I just cut and bent a metal coat hanger and put a mark where the string crossed the hanger. Might help you out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTd3jYEd_Q

How does it group at that setting and does the arrow flight look reasonable (have someone stand behind you and watch the arrow flight, can usually pick up if its doing any radical kicking left/right as it leaves the bow)?

I believe I've read Hoyt recommends 3/4" from the riser to the middle of the arrow as a starting point. Many I know, myself included, usually wind up just a little inside 3/4" when everything is done. 1/32" to 1/16" inside of 3/4" seems to be fairly common so it sounds like you're definitely in the ballpark. Now just need to get outside and do some longer range group tuning and fine tune if needed.

>>----->

I am inside of 3/4" also on my Ultra Elite with 3000 limbs, probably around 11/16. Thats what the bow wants so thats what it gets. Bow shoots pretty well through paper at this setting, and centershot is good out to 80 yrds

Quote Originally Posted by strait shooter View Post
    I have a 2008 Hoyt Ultra-Elite with 3000 limbs. I am trying to set the center shot. I think I have it set but it looks like it is a little to the inside. It measures 11/16" from the inside of the riser to the center of the arrow. Does this sound about right?
    center shot with a hoyt should start at 13/16 and fine tune from there! start out with a paper tune and then a walk back tune!
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 ,Hoyt vulcan, Hoyt ultra elite, Hoyt Katera XL, Hoyt Alphamax, Hoyt Turbo Hawk ,Truball axcel 3000, Extreme scope, DMI drop away, Trophy Taker spring steel 2, AEP Custom Stabilizers, specialty archery super peep, Carter release aids, Gold tip pro hunters, GT 22 ultra, CXL Target arrows Blazer vanes, Dura vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E-Rez View Post
    I'm not sure what the exact measurement is, but I made a center-shot locator tool thingy like the one in this video at 4:10. I just cut and bent a metal coat hanger and put a mark where the string crossed the hanger. Might help you out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTd3jYEd_Q
    Coat hanger with a small O ring works dandy, just like the video Big E-Rez posted
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

Be careful when using somebody elses measurement. The yoke setting on your bow will actually have an effect on center shot. The best way to set your rest is with one of the various tuning methods while doing your own shooting.
    Good luck
    Hoyt Vulcan
    Hoyt Vantage Elite+

Hoyt Centre Shot

All of Hoyts (according to Hoyt Techs) bows are designed to be set up at 3/4" centre shot, then minute adjustments are made to make a true centre either side of the 3/4" mark. But for the majority of shooters, 3/4" is pretty bang on.

I paper tuned and would always get a minute tear left, no matter what I would do, until I read this article and found out it is no big deal, groups and consistency is what matters. If you use a scope like I do, I found it helped using a pin sight for this test, as my form had the scope wander from the centre mark, versus the pin sight holding steady. Going back to my scope does not change the tune or accuracy, it just a pin centres easily on the masking tape centre.

John Dudley has a cure what ails your centreshot and accuracy with this link on French Tuning

I tried his method and it works awesome. Though depending on the poundage of the bow you are using and the weight of the arrows you use, my 3 yard sight mark, dropped low at 40 yards, versus his 50 yards. No big deal, I guess he forgot to mention that. It does work though.
    Hoyt ProElite 08-3000X,Hoyt ProElite 08- 2000X,1982 Martin Cougar Magnum,
    Bohning Archery-Bohning Staff Shooter,Bohning Pro Staff Field,T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter,Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Field Shooter,Don't Choke Archery Field Staffer.