Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will my TAURUS Judge kill a bear?

Will my TAURUS Judge kill a bear?

I bouth this revlver a few weeks ago and I enjoy it. It shoots 410(scatter, slug and buck shot) as well as 45 Long Colt

I was wondering how the gun would do if I needed to defend myself against a bear.

Which would be the most effective ammo for such a thing?

I did not even know what a 45 long colt was prior to the purchase. Is it the same size as a 45 auto? Is it bigger or smaller than a 44 Mag?

Thanx for the info, Im still relatively new to the pistol/handgun world.

It does relate to archery hunting, because it will likely be my sidearm during the fall archery season.
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

I have the same gun and it most definitely will kill a bear!!! Hornady makes their lever evolution ammo for the 45 colt and that is by far your best choice followed by .410 slugs. I carry mine for trout fishing first 2 shots are .410 9 shot for snakes followed by 3 .45 colt for bears!

I sometimes carry it during archery season with the same loading sequence, I figure the .410 outta be enough to get the bear, coyote, etc. attention and if not the 45 colt is only 3 trigger pulls away!!! However most of the time I carry my Kel Tec P3AT (.380) simply because it small and will make enough noise to scare off a bear, as thats likely all that will be neaded for a black bear!
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

I would love to have a judge at my side. Not sure if it would be enough for a Grizzly but
    will be nice for all the other not so friendlys in the hills.
    Operator of "The cutest little archery shop in Wyoming"

Who knew this is where we would be the first time somebody stretched a string on a stick.

good question

Good question, I though the same thing, I really like the newer public defender, but wondered if the frame can handle the stout 45 colt loads. Most factory loaded 45 colt loads are pretty weak as there are a few older guns around that couldn't handle the pressure. Some of the smaller companies can make some potent loads for the colt, but don't know if the judge frame especially the Public Defender could handle them. Properly loaded the old colt has almost the same power level as the .44 magnum. Of course for 2010 there is a new raging judge that can handle the 454, but I think that is on a diffrent, larger frame. Maybe someone on here knows the answer
    John's Custom Prostaff { no other string is even close }

Black bear no worries with the .45LC and good shot placement...... Grizzly/Brown I'd want something else.

You can never have to much gun

SW 500 for the win.
    I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in somebody else's blood, and i have no problem going out that way.

Man, that Judge is a neat gun, but I really wouldn't choose it for bear defense. There's certainly worse choices, but I can think of a lot better. Neither a .410 or a .45 Long Colt are ideal for that. A really stout .45 load would be decent.....but I'd still want bigger, myself.
    Texas heart shooter.

45 long colt can be loaded to similar specs of a 44 mag. Yes it will do just fine for a bear.
    "CRACKERIZED"
    CARTER'S ARCHERY
    (816) 232-2577
    www.cartersarchery.net

I've only had my judge for about 2-3 weeks. I love it. Its my regular carry now for bow season. I usually carry a Springfield Armory 45 acp 1911. I enjoy shooting the Federal 000 buckshot. The first two shots are 45 LC and the three last are 000 buckshot. Plus I carry a few more rounds in my pack.
    Love what you have; Be grateful for what you receive; Give what you can and always remember; what goes around, comes around... Live Well... Be Wise.
    Martin-Rytera, PSE, Browning, Samick Bows.

The Judge is gimmick and hype. The rifling makes a shot pattern like a doughnut with a hole in the center, I'm suprised nobody has pepperred their foot shooting at a close range snake. Also the long cylinder for 410 really hurts the 45LC round, long jump to get in the rifling. A 44 Mag with a few snakeshots followed by some heavy lead is a much more practical gun. JMHO take it for whay its worth.

peace.
    unloaded

Quote Originally Posted by unloaded View Post
    The Judge is gimmick and hype. The rifling makes a shot pattern like a doughnut with a hole in the center, I'm suprised nobody has pepperred their foot shooting at a close range snake. Also the long cylinder for 410 really hurts the 45LC round, long jump to get in the rifling. A 44 Mag with a few snakeshots followed by some heavy lead is a much more practical gun. JMHO take it for whay its worth.

peace.
    unloaded
    +1 the barrel is too short for any kind of accuracy past 15yards maybe less the 410 on a bear is only going to get you in trouble.Do yourself a favor if you see a bear pray it isn't hungry or get a better gun s&w 500-50desert eagle-Ruger Redhawk there are numerous choices and the judge isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PAkilla86 View Post
    I have the same gun and it most definitely will kill a bear!!! Hornady makes their lever evolution ammo for the 45 colt and that is by far your best choice followed by .410 slugs. I carry mine for trout fishing first 2 shots are .410 9 shot for snakes followed by 3 .45 colt for bears!

I sometimes carry it during archery season with the same loading sequence, I figure the .410 outta be enough to get the bear, coyote, etc. attention and if not the 45 colt is only 3 trigger pulls away!!! However most of the time I carry my Kel Tec P3AT (.380) simply because it small and will make enough noise to scare off a bear, as thats likely all that will be neaded for a black bear!
    Wow, all this time I've been going unarmed here in Pennsylvania (enjoying my outdoor pursuits) while unwittingly subjecting myself to bear and coyote attacks
    Just funnin' with ya
    I was just looking at the "Public defender", although it's hard for me to get past the name
    Phoenix.

Not hard to kill a bear, But if you want to do it in within 15 feet (Witch would be my goal)use the biggest gun you can carry. LOL

Sure a .45 LC can be loaded to .44 pressures.

Either round is not the first choice as a primary weapon for brown bear.

A good factory.45 LC round should have no problem with black bear.
    Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

re

Quote Originally Posted by twisted1600 View Post
    Sure a .45 LC can be loaded to .44 pressures.

Either round is not the first choice as a primary weapon for brown bear.

A good factory.45 LC round should have no problem with black bear.
    Thanx for the replies. Here in Pa, the largest toughest animal is black bear. I guess I will find a heavy 45 LC load and practice with it. Im not planning on buying anything bigger than the Judge at this time.

The land of fruits and nuts!

California has ruled that it is shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches so it is on the illegal list out here. This from a state whose total debt is about 500 billion dollars now.

re

Quote Originally Posted by ofashea View Post
    California has ruled that it is shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches so it is on the illegal list out here. This from a state whose total debt is about 500 billion dollars now.
    Wow, that is ridiculous. Sorry to hear that.

If that were true it would be a federal crime to own. California is ridiculous.
    sine labore nihil

For black bear, this is undoubtedly what I would carry, even over my reloads. These are some excellent rounds. This is my concealed carry round for my .45 auto, my wife's in 9mm, and I also use these bullets in my muzzleloader with absolutely devastating effects. These will expand to over an inch. Check em out. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo. They are expensive, but I believe my life is worth $50. These are 225 grains at 1200 fps which equals 720 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. That's alot for a 45 colt. There are some other rounds made by double tap which would put you equivelant or better than a 44 mag (1200 ft-lbs KE), but I don't know how well that gun would stand up to such heavy loads. Make a good ammo selection, and you will have more than enough power to DRT a black bear with one shot.
    SEABEES CAN DO!

Yea it is essentially a short shot gun. The way they get around it is calling it a .45. I think it is a neat gun. I kinda want to get one for my wife for personal protection.
    Kifaru International

My Dad would love to own one. But the thugs and pro Criminals elements down in Mex-ifornia made sure that law abiding citizens can't own certain firearms. Some of my family are still down there behind Enemy lines. California criminals and California politicians have one thing in common.......They love Unarmed citizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs4421 View Post
    Thanx for the replies. Here in Pa, the largest toughest animal is black bear. I guess I will find a heavy 45 LC load and practice with it. I'm not planning on buying anything bigger than the Judge at this time.
    I mainly bought the Judge for the two legged critters. not every person out hunting, Hiking, camping, etc. are good law abiding citizens. I have black bear and cougars and now we have Wolves in my area. I've encountered a cougar stalking me while i was shore fishing on lake Roosevelt. I had my 40 cal with at the time. I heard some rocks behind me move a tad bit and i just looked over my shoulder...here was a young cougar hunched down coming out of the high grass like he was ready to pounce on me. I had enough time just to pull my 40 out of my waistband. But the honking horn of the nearby ferry spooked him and he slowly stepped back into the brush. I kept my pistol pointed at the brush line as i grabbed my fishing pole and gear bag and followed the shoreline back to my vehicle. As a med. Ret. Correctional LEO, We carried sidearms off duty and practice with them a lot. I've pulled it twice on gang banger that recognized me off the clock. But i never had to fire a weapon it defense. I've been in many prison riots where mini 14 rounds have been fired and even 1 hit to the right of my leg about 6 inches away. I remember the dirt and grass hitting me from the impact. Sorry for going off topic. I even remember my Gunner apologizing like crazy for almost shooting me. But I never was scared when all that happened. training just kicked in. My cougar encounter happened about 4 years ago but i remember it like it just happened yesterday. I tell it at Hunters ed classes and to anybody that cares to listen. I was scared stiff. I trained and practiced for people but not for an actual Cougar 15-20 yards away. I always wondered....What if i didn't turn to look for the cause of that rock movement?....What if the Buzzer from the ferry didn't spook him off?. fight or flight?. Did i have enough time to draw my snubby and fire on that cat pouncing? or do i even have enough time to drop everything and start swimming?. I remember walking back to my vehicle with my knee's knocking. No man has ever done that to me. just being honest with my fellow hunters on AT. I love being able to shoot 45 LC or 410 shot shells. I actually like the 410 over the 45 LC. My first two rounds are 45 LC and the last three are federal 000 buck shot "disks" I think they call. A blast to shoot. We practice out to 25 yards with it. I do agree with others on here. It wouldn't be my first choice just for black bear, grizzly or some other larger predators. I would carry my Ruger 44 magnum. if you are looking for a dedicated big predator killer. take a look at that 454 cassull Taurus. I can't think of the name of it right now. Your main weapon is your brain. I sure as hell would be putting some rounds into his head and using the tree's to zig Zag my way and put some distance between us.

Or maybe I'll just crap my pants and wipe it all over myself...hopeing that he won't kill and eat me cuzz i stink too much!.
    Love what you have; Be grateful for what you receive; Give what you can and always remember; what goes around, comes around... Live Well... Be Wise.
    Martin-Rytera, PSE, Browning, Samick Bows.

A gimmick are you kidding me. I have one and love it. This is not a rifle, there aren't many pistols that shoot accuratly passed 15 yards that are catagorized as self defence any ways. If your allowed to carry in your state during archery season and your one of those scared of the dark this is the gun for you. But if your going to grizz country, i'd want at least a .44 mag or .454. the judge is not gona rule in your favor against that beast.

Corbon has a 300gr load at 1300fps witch is more than enuff.that what I shoot out of mine.
    ONE PIN IS ALL YOU NEED, IF you have warp speed. Founder of Team OVERKILL.Shooting super warp speed bows built by Breathn .............................. ....Heavy draw weight ,franken head shooting deer slayer........................ ...Moderation is for cowards ."............................ .....................Team 4. IN 4 THE WIN

I only carry a hot loaded .357 mag with me. Its way lighter in mass weight if your hiking around the mountains and if the heavy .357 don't take the bear down the bigger loads probably won't do ya any better. I also carry it with birdshot for snakes out in the prairies.
    Tech at Big Sky Archery, Factory staff for Black Gold Premium Bowsights, Ripcord Arrow Rests, and Tight Spot Quivers

Thanks to you for rekindling the idea, I stopped at my local gunshop today and they had the Public Defender.
    Now it's mine
    Looking forward to shooting it next week at my place upnorth.
    Looks like a pefect commuter/home protection weapon...
    Phoenix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast