a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treestand vs Property Line...Is This Too Close?

Treestand vs Property Line...Is This Too Close?

The guys next to us have 60 acres of timber to hunt, yet they decided to put this stand up 15 yards from the property line facing the fence. There is no trail between their stand and the fence because there's a steep, thick ravine just to the right of that stand that nothing bigger than a rabbit would want to cross. As far as I can tell, with the stand facing the way it is they can only shoot something on my side of the fence or very, very close to the property line that's either coming or going from my side.

These guys are normally pretty decent to hunt around, we all stay on our own side of the fence and they have always been friendly when we run into them on the road and stop and talk. They have a really good property, I can't figure out why they'd even put a stand 15 yards away from the fence like this. What do you guys think?

I would put some "No Trespassing" signs on the fenceline just so he knows you are aware of this blind.

Have the same issue where I hunt, private land and the neighbors hunt on the fencelines. Legally they are on their land, but you wonder though, if a nice buck presents a shot from their stand onto your land, will they take it?
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps

I hunt within a few feet of the line where I do most of my hunting....it's all field edges though. Saw more deer within 10 yds on the neighbors property last year than I did on the property I was hunting but I was NOT ever even tempted to shoot over the line. I see nothing wrong there!
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

We have the exact same problem on our own property! The folks that hunt across the fence lease a few hundred acres around us but insist on putting up stands just yards away from our fenceline and most of them are actually facing us. The only thing we can legally do is to catch them in the act of shooting across our fence and/or trespassing! It's frustrating for sure!
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

I have a similar situation, but it is me who hunts a fence line that is the dividing line. I only hunt this spot during archery, but there is awesome deer movement through there. As long as they are respectful of you, I would let it be. However, if they are disrespectful, than do all you can to make that spot less than desirable.

It is on his side of the property line, then he is legal. I have stands where the tree is touching the fence. I shoot what is on my property. I did not put the stands anywhere close to the neighbors fenceline stands.
    solohunter

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    I hunt within a few feet of the line where I do most of my hunting....it's all field edges though. Saw more deer within 10 yds on the neighbors property last year than I did on the property I was hunting but I was NOT ever even tempted to shoot over the line. I see nothing wrong there!
    But what happens when you shoot an animal so close to that property line? I believe most folks, especially bowhunters realize that their animals are going to run a little ways after impact. I believe hunting so close to a neighbors property that you KNOW there's a good chance you're animal will make it onto that property is irresponsible! You should NEVER assume that the neighbor should or would give you permission to track a wounded animal through his property.... especially is he's out there trying to hunt as well.
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    But what happens when you shoot an animal so close to that property line? I believe most folks, especially bowhunters realize that their animals are going to run a little ways after impact. I believe hunting so close to a neighbors property that you KNOW there's a good chance you're animal will make it onto that property is irresponsible! You should NEVER assume that the neighbor should or would give you permission to track a wounded animal through his property.... especially is he's out there trying to hunt as well.
    I've got that handled BEFORE I hunt.....why would someone wait til after they shoot a deer to get permission to track on a neighbor? I shoot only on my side of the fence....IF it crosses after the shot then I have permission to track ONLY on the other side.

Going by your statement it would be IRRESPONSIBLE for any bowhunting to hunt within 100 yds of a property line because there is a chance of that deer running across the property line.

I have permission to track deer on the neighboring properties. It is all about showing respect to the neighboring property owners. I only own 10 acres, but it is all wooded around me and there are 2 other property owners that I got to know and have permission to track onto their properties.

I've got that handled BEFORE I hunt.....why would someone wait til after they shoot a deer to get permission to track on a neighbor? I shoot only on my side of the fence....IF it crosses after the shot then I have permission to track ONLY on the other side.

Going by your statement it would be IRRESPONSIBLE for any bowhunting to hunt within 100 yds of a property line because there is a chance of that deer running across the property line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry24 View Post
    I have permission to track deer on the neighboring properties. It is all about showing respect to the neighboring property owners. I only own 10 acres, but it is all wooded around me and there are 2 other property owners that I got to know and have permission to track onto their properties.

These guys have never asked permission to retrieve game. They would get it if they asked, but they've never asked.

15 yards from the property line isn't the biggest problem, it's the fact that it's facing the fence. That pretty much assures than any shot they take is going to be awfully close to or across the property line. Why not put it on the other side of the tree facing their property?

I'm thinking I'll probably put a large treetop there and plant some saplings to take away any temptation they might have to shoot across the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry24 View Post
    That is exactly correct.Two places I hunt in VA have stands real close the property line and depending on which piece of property I am on dictated whet shots I take. One piece of property is next to a landfill and they are real nice to the hunt club. We have permission to track deer that run onto their property as long as our gun stays on our property so I can put shots behind the shoulder and not mess up a lot of meat.

The other piece of property borders a real ***hole. He will not let anybody on his property but his club members have no problem coming on our property to get deer without our permission (the law fixed that problem 2 years ago). He has been known to turn a couple dogs loose at 4:15 on days when he is not hunting but we are so all the deer stay off the fields or are running across them and not giving us a shot. O that property I take high shoulder shots to snap the spine or if the deer is close enough I will take a head shot so I don't have to worry about the deer going far.

The property by the land fill is a great place to hunt b/c other clubs runs dogs around it and they can't hunt on the landfill so the deer funnel right to me and if I make a shot and the deer runs off their is a mutual respect between the landfill and the club so there is never a problem. But at the other club, the guy has no respect for us so he get none in return.
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

Quote Originally Posted by JC-XT View Post
    These guys have never asked permission to retrieve game. They would get it if they asked, but they've never asked.

15 yards from the property line isn't the biggest problem, it's the fact that it's facing the fence. That pretty much assures than any shot they take is going to be awfully close to or across the property line. Why not put it on the other side of the tree facing their property?

I'm thinking I'll probably put a large treetop there and plant some saplings to take away any temptation they might have to shoot across the fence.
    Jack, it might sound strange but I usually set my stands up so that I shoot behind my and to my left. That allows me the least amount of movement in the stand and even allows me to occasionally shoot from a seated position. I don't think I've ever shot directly in front of me at a deer with the bow.

I always thought you owned all the land you buy hunt it where you want. If the dude next door gets PO'd screw him..grow up and hunt

Maybe they are waiting for a reaction from you, to see what kind of neighbor they have! Yeah; not the best way to be a neighbor
    Go over and talk to them. Maybe its not even their stand, or someone doesnt know where the property line is located a fence may not mean anything.

" Hey whats the deal with the stand 15 yards and facing my place?"
    Their responce; then start judging them

First of all if you think there needs to be a trail there to be make for good hunting your wrong...trails dont mean a lot when the rut is on...it sounds to me like he has found a couple natural barriers ( fence and ditch) that will funnel deer past his stand...2 of my stands are with in 15 yards of the line fence because i know when the bucks start chaseing does they will be running along the fence when they come out of the field...i will say its a lot better to work with each other than be mad and both of you loose if your deer goes over the fence...JMO

I hunt a spot where a stand is located right in the fence line. There is a corridor the fence line and the corn field create and the only place to capitalize is a stand in the fence line. There is no shot to the other side of the fence as it is too thick. I hunt this stand with the wind blowing into the neighbor’s property. I use this stand once in awhile and have only taken one good buck out of it, and it died on my side of the fence. Would you have a beef with this setup? This is a trail camera picture of the corridor, which I mowed to help it along
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

I have was in the same thing last year. New Owners that border our property came to cut down an old homemade treestand that is on our property. I was in my stand not 50 yards away. Ruined my hunt but scared the crap out of them when I started talking to them and they didnt know where I was at. Anyway I met them and we talked for a bit and I have to permission to track game on them as long as I call them.

is there a trail running from your property to his say 20 yards either way of his stand?
    Personally, i never place my stands facing my intended target, i prefer them to be at least 90 degrees out, sometimes i use the tree as cover to hide behind. There has to be some trail or feature, a pinch or funnel, etc...as to why he has a stand there in the first place, once you know that reason, it will be easy to determine why the stand is place as it is.

Like i said, if the stand was on the other side of the tree would you be ok with it?
    >>>>>-------Team 25------------->......BLOODTRAIL BROTHERHOOD......
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.

Tell that to the guy that owns a 1 acre woodlot. is he only to hunt it from the center?

>>>>>-------Team 25------------->......BLOODTRAIL BROTHERHOOD......
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.

I don't see a problem with it as long as they don't shoot anything on your side of the fence. I have set up plenty of times on fence lines but I did have the stand facing the property I was hunting.

Time to put up a HIGH fence

If the stand is facing your property, odds are that they are not planning to shoot straight ahead of them. If they are right handed, it is probably set up so that they can shoot off to their left. That's how I set all my stands up, as i'm sure most others do also. Plus, he has done nothing illegal, and he's hunting on his property, he has the rights all the way up to the fence. if he does something in the future that you can prove he was shooting on your side, well that's a different story.

its on his side so its legal, but i would have to put a stand 15 yards from the same line facing his direction. it would be a worthless first morning but i think he would get the point when your only sitting 30 yards apart facing each other.
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

Jack, it might sound strange but I usually set my stands up so that I shoot behind my and to my left. That allows me the least amount of movement in the stand and even allows me to occasionally shoot from a seated position. I don't think I've ever shot directly in front of me at a deer with the bow.
    Same here, I hang ALL my stands "backwards" I guess, but that's just the way I do it and have done it for the last twenty years. Only remember shooting three deer that were facing the stand.
    '07 Bowtech Commander 75lbs, Octane, QAD-HD, Apex Atomic
    '12 Elite Pure 65lbs, SS1, QAD-HDX, CBE Tek-Hybrid

That concept is good for where you are but not for here. It's hard enough to get on a good deer. If you limited yourself to not hunting close to a property line you might end up with a small square in the middle to hunt if you have any at all. And good luck knocking on all the doors of the houses around you before you hunt. That will surely ruin any chance you had of shooting a deer. Worse case senario you will have to call a game warden to help recover it.
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast