Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Martin Jaguar Recurve Owners

Attn: Martin Jaguar Recurve Owners

I haven't been on here much, so maybe this has already been discussed.

Few of you have been fortunate to take delivery of a Martin Jaguar recurve with little to no incidence. I was not so fortunate.

I have a long list of issues with my Jaguar; however, my main concern is with the integrity of the limbs. I have heard, read, and witnessed close to a dozen limb failures; all of which have resulted with injuries. I'm sure there are many more occurrences that I am not aware of. Also, I am willing to accept limb failure to a certain degree, it comes with the territory; but, I am horrified with the thought of my wife or daughter possibly losing an eye as a result of limb failure from cheap, poor quality, sub-standard limbs. Now for the good news.

Pete Ward and several others have recently reviewed an intermediate/entry level recurve made by Samick called the Sage. I've had the opportunity to shoot this bow with impressive results and the Sage can be had for even less dollars than the Jaguar. Well, I'm not going to spend more money on another inexpensive recurve (guest bow); but I did come across a set of Sage limbs and I'm happy to report that they are a good fit on the Jaguar riser. My Jaguar, with Sage limbs, shoots fast and smooth. Now, with newly found assurance, I am enjoying the Jaguar and feel confident my family can too without concern.

Will you be at the Conejo shoot this weekend?

http://sites.google.com/site/socalar...onal-challange

I will be there. Spoke with Arvid from Black Swan; he said I should receive my new longbow in time for the shoot. If it doesn't arrive in time, I'll be shooting my Black Widow.

138 bucks for a Jaguar...I wouldn't have expected quality either.I had delaminations on my PSE impala limbs.That bow pretty much ended my dealing with cheap junk.
    '06 Mathews Ovation 67#/50#Bear Grizzly/54# Schafer Silvertip TD recurve/Looking for a BW PMAII 53-58#'s 60"

Awesome! I will be looking for someone with a Black Swan longbow. I always wonder how they shoot! Would be interested in seeing a Jaguar with Sage limbs too.
    I will be shooting an ACS longbow. Look for a short Asian guy with a hat

SoCalArcher, small world, I too am from SoCal. Orange Co. Thanks for the information on the Jag limbs. My son is shooting a 30# Jag and now I'm worried about the limbs. I'd like to get him a set of the same Sage limbs you have in 30#. Where can I get a set of Sage limbs like the ones you have?

Thank you.

Anybody that sells the Samick Sage can get you limbs. Our local archery shop here in Simi Valley sells the Sage, Don had a couple of spare sets of limbs - $75. A set of Jaguar limbs are going for $105.

Before I installed the Sage limbs, I used the butt end of the limb and traced out a section of self adhesive felt (sheets of self adhesive felt can be purchased from most fabric stores) and attached it to the belly side of the limb butt. Using a sharp pencil, I punched a hole for the limb bolt. This works as a gasket and insures a nice cushiony, silent fit. Also, I wrap teflon tape around the threads of the limb bolts.

Today I shot several dozen arrows using my Jaguar with Sage limbs. With these new limbs, this is not the same bow! If anyone has the opportunity to switch out the Jaguar limbs with Sage limbs - you will be amazed!

I applied a piece of self adhesive felt to the butt end of the limb to serve as a gasket/cushion. Sheets of self adhesive felt can be purchased from any fabric store. I used the butt end of the limb to trace it out, measures 1.5" X 3" and used a sharp pencil to punch out a hole for the limb bolt. Also, I wrapped teflon tape around the threads of the limb bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalArcher View Post
    Today I shot several dozen arrows using my Jaguar with Sage limbs. With these new limbs, this is not the same bow! If anyone has the opportunity to switch out the Jaguar limbs with Sage limbs - you will be amazed!

I applied a piece of self adhesive felt to the butt end of the limb to serve as a gasket/cushion. Sheets of self adhesive felt can be purchased from any fabric store. I used the butt end of the limb to trace it out, measures 1.5" X 3" and used a sharp pencil to punch out a hole for the limb bolt. Also, I wrapped teflon tape around the threads of the limb bolts.
    SoCal,Thanks for the information so far,I think quite a few people are going to be interested in this.
    Can you tell me another couple of things though,what's the length of the bow now,what brace hight have you worked out for it,and what poundage limbs did you buy to get the end draw wheight you have ?
    Thanks again,
    JNZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack NZ View Post
    SoCal,Thanks for the information so far,I think quite a few people are going to be interested in this.
    Can you tell me another couple of things though,what's the length of the bow now,what brace hight have you worked out for it,and what poundage limbs did you buy to get the end draw wheight you have ?
    Thanks again,
    JNZ.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31, 60X Strings, Epic N-Fused, Stingers, Snuffer SS, Slick Trick Mags, Wasp SST Boss

I just got my Jag today after a 3 month wait. I knew that they some problems before, but I'm hoping they got it straitened out. If I really enjoy trad shooting, ill certainly dump some money on a much nicer one.

I agree I hope they have solved them. I have one of the early ones and it's been shot 1000 of times by many people and it's still going.

I had one of the early ones too. Zero issues. I'm sure the new owner will have the same problem free usage that I did.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I've read on-line that the early ones were made directly by Martin, but that the recent ones have been made by a sub-contractor.

That seems to have resulted in the problems seen in the new ones.

Glad I went with the Hoyt !!!

- George

zero problems with mine so far as well, got it in early August from Sportsmans Guide- does that make it one of the early ones ?

That or they finally (hopefully) got the bugs out of the newest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by IAIS604 View Post
    That or they finally (hopefully) got the bugs out of the newest ones.
    Guess not... After waiting 3 months, I got mine just the other day and it already snapped.. lol!

Jaguar bows

I don`t understand why anyone would want to purchase one of these bows given their limb problems. I know money maybe an issue but there are a few good bows out there at a reasonable cost. Samick,Checkmate, Maddog to name a few.
    I certainly would not like to be shooting a bow wondering if or when its going to delaminate . Iv`e seen this happen to bows and believe me its dangerous.

?????

is this a Toyota / Martin thing , way to many malfunctions they should all be recalled .. and replaced with an updated set of limbs that have been tested.. or give the customer the option to get a full refund for sure.. cheaper than a law suit when some one gets hurt.. with this many failures and verified by this many posts on a public site.. boy they are missing the message here...

Ok so I have a Jaguar TD, I've had it for a few months with no issues so far. Is there anything to look for that might tell me I'm going to have a failure.....like cracks in the limbs etc? I like the bow and don't have money to get new limbs!

I been waiting for 6 weeks to get mine. The shop just called the other day and said it was in should I just send it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Va bowhunter View Post
    I been waiting for 6 weeks to get mine. The shop just called the other day and said it was in should I just send it back?
    Then why aren't you going down to pick it up?

No problems with mine so far and really don't care if I do because of the great service I've had from Martin in the past/

Much Aloha...

I too have had great service from Martin. I own many great Martin bows (100% Martin bows), but the Jaguar is not 100% Martin. Where I come from, we call that pilikia (trouble).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalArcher View Post
    I too have had great service from Martin. I own many great Martin bows (100% Martin bows), but the Jaguar is not 100% Martin. Where I come from, we call that pilikia (trouble).
    Then you must be a transplantated SoCalArcher then ...

Much Aloha...

I really wasn't interested in these bows but now I kinda want to find a used one and buy seperate limbs just for a pack bow sounds like it would make a sweet little set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast