Archery Talk Forum banner

The new Focus Grip by Mathews

33K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  3xshooter 
#1 ·
The new Focus Grip helps minimize hand torque in the event of poor hand placement by keeping pressure concentrated in the center of the grip, unlike typical flat top grips that move pressure to the outside edge which increases hand torque.

The diagram shows the result of improper hand placement and how it impacts bow torque. As you can clearly see, the Focus Grip with the patent pending "Focus Ridge" barely moves off of center!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
O.K. I'll be the first of the "haters." How can a company like Mathews, which has produced that same lame bulky grip for who knows how many years. brag about "new" grip technology? Weak, all the way around.

Maybe, the riser, cams, etc. are highly desirable, certainly sales stats back this up, but how dare you claim any "advance" in grip technology, when all manufacturers have gone way past anything you've put out?

Best of luck selling these grips,
Mike

Flame suit on! This post is meant to spur intellegent, fact-based discussion, so don't bring any weak fanboyism/opinion into this thread.

#6 ·
Maybe Mathews is actually concerned about their "consumers" which is why we've seen the addition of speed bows, smoother drawing hunting bows and fast/smooth hunting bows. Now we see them design grip again probably because the "consumers" have voiced their desires for a thinner grip (hence 2010 line has the thin grip and no focus grip). So thank you Mathews for listening to your "consumers", that being said I'm sure MGB's post will be going in the "hater" file and sent swiftly to the shreader. Happy shootin!

#3 ·
A grip with a NEW design or feature to help reduce torque is an advance in grip technology ratard. The focus grip just might set off a trend in new grip designs in the near future. How can an archer/sportsman bash his own sport and advancement without even trying it? Really, even if it's a tiny step foreward in accuracy then it benefits the entire archery community fanboy

#7 ·
actually for several years Mathews target bows have had a grip that is a part of the riser. The center ridge design simply moves the pivot to the centerline if the bow. Mathews has realised the importance of the bow centerline for many years, and their wooden grips have had a centerline stripe for several years. The centerline on the Mathews grip made it very easy to set bow centershot and was also an excellent reference for hand pressure point placement on the grip. Bowtech has a rounded grip that has been on their bows for several years which places the pivot point of the grip on the bow centerline. The fact that BT spent the machining time to center pivot all their bows grips was one of the many factors that I admire about the Bowtech line. The fact all their bows were done this way before some of the largets companies out there is.......

#10 ·
Everyday on Archerytalk I am shocked at the amount of effort people put forth to absolutely hate on Mathews. What's your freakin' point? They make some of the best bows in the world and are a first class company. The Focus grip is great, I recommend it to all Mathews bow owners.

#13 ·
IMHO...the Focus grip doesn't look like it matches the bow.

I'm sure it feels great, but why the complete lack of style for a bow that is made to look like a piece of furniture? For $60, I would expect something with just a tad of style to compliment it's usability.

It's like the Hybrid cars have been for years...if you want great MPG you have to drive an egg-mobile.:mad:

#15 ·
I recently put one of these on my Mathews, it is awesome! The price is a bit steep for a rubber grip, but is well worth it.:shade:
It should be an option on all new Mathews!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.