Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mathews Reezen tuning problems?

Red face Mathews Reezen tuning problems?

I am a newbie here but wanted to ask-- anyone have any issues with tuning a Reezen? I am buying one and my local shop has indicated that they have had problems with this bow. Just looking for opinions and thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Yes they do tune way inside. If the shooter has an inside grip it will be almost impossible to tune. This has become an issue with almost all mathews since the switchback and every year they seem to tune farther and farther inside. Great bows as far as build quality goes and they have the advertising down, but as far as being the best bows built i don't think they are even close. Some of the best quality in the industry but i get a headache everytime a customer brings in a mathews from down the road because they can see their arrows kicking and then we have to try to get their grip good so the bows will tune close to centershot. leaning the idler can only do so much.
    Tech at Big Sky Archery, Factory staff for Black Gold Premium Bowsights, Ripcord Arrow Rests, and Tight Spot Quivers

Alot of Mathews seem to be really picky about spine. Too stiff or weak and forget it. If you have your idler set right and correct spine they should all tune pretty close to 13/16" though. Get rid of that chunk of wood they have for a grip though and get something much slimmer and you'll have alot easier time tuning. I can't remember what grip the Reezen has but the Z7 finally has a pretty decent grip. Most older models have awful grips that take perfect form to avoid torquing.
    Speed is fine. Accuracy is final.

I was using blazers and had to have my cock feather out the side to avoid cable contact. After I found the problem my friend who shoot dxt's noticed theywere getting a little bit of cable contact as well. Switchback is a much nicer design. IMO.

Thanks for the information thus far. Things to keep in mind as we put this together and try to make it happen. Anything else will be appreciated.

Travis

You might notice a bit of a creak at 3/4 draw. As far as a solution for that, I can't help. I tried greasing everything I could but I couldn't figure what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 173BC View Post
    You might notice a bit of a creak at 3/4 draw. As far as a solution for that, I can't help. I tried greasing everything I could but I couldn't figure what it was.
    It is in the posts where the end of the Y yoke hooks onto the limb. You need to press the bow, pull the Y yoke off, and greese underneath the little pegs on the axle. The noise will dissappear.
    Tech at Big Sky Archery, Factory staff for Black Gold Premium Bowsights, Ripcord Arrow Rests, and Tight Spot Quivers

Quote Originally Posted by sneak1413 View Post
    It is in the posts where the end of the Y yoke hooks onto the limb. You need to press the bow, pull the Y yoke off, and greese underneath the little pegs on the axle. The noise will dissappear.
    Sneak, you da man. Honestly I want to put my name on the list for when you put your line of bows into production. I'll trade you a guided hunt for whitetail, moose or a mule if you want.

Sneak, you da man. Honestly I want to put my name on the list for when you put your line of bows into production. I'll trade you a guided hunt for whitetail, moose or a mule if you want.

That may be a long time yet. But I have certain criteria if i build/design a bow. It will tune down centershot, the bow will do what i say it will do, the draw length will be realy amo draw, and i will stand behind what i make to the best of my ability. Sorry these are just a few things i hate about some companies and are little pet peeves of mine.

That may be a long time yet. But I have certain criteria if i build/design a bow. It will tune down centershot, the bow will do what i say it will do, the draw length will be realy amo draw, and i will stand behind what i make to the best of my ability. Sorry these are just a few things i hate about some companies and are little pet peeves of mine.
    I picked that up from you. That's why I want to put my name up near the top of the list. I'm still pullin 70# right now but I have both my rotater cuffs torn so I'm thinking in another 10 years or so a fast smooth 60# will be nice. I'll still be able to find the deer then too so we can work out a deal.

Ive only been happy with my Reezen i shoot perfect bullet holes and its really accurate on long distances

Quote Originally Posted by 300wby View Post
    I am a newbie here but wanted to ask-- anyone have any issues with tuning a Reezen? I am buying one and my local shop has indicated that they have had problems with this bow. Just looking for opinions and thoughts. Thanks for your help.
    Then I would find a shop that knows what they are doing. Never had a problem in all of them we have sold and set up(that's in the hundreds). They set up very easy and hold their tune. As far as someone saying that they have to shoot cock vane out using blazer vanes to miss the cables-------your center shot is off period, Never found one yet you couldn't shoot cock vane up. In fact we have been selling Mathews bows almost from day one-----if we run into a problem it is usually something wrong with the bow from the git go that needs to be addressed at the factory. But come to think of it in all those years I probably could could those problems on one hand.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

I've had my 6.5 for over a year now and it's one of the easiest to tune. For starters it's a single cam. It has a yoke system, a timing (rather large) hole on the cam to keep cam DFC at it's best. If your centershot isn't very close to what's recomended (11/16 drop away, 13/16 shoot through's) then just as Dale B1 said. There could be a manufacturer problem with the bow ( unlikely) or the shooter (most likely) is the reason. To say that they have had problems tuning the bow is simply rediculous to me! It sounds more like the shop is the one that is in question, not the Reezen. JMO

Mine center shot is straight down the middle, and shoots better than anyone I know. I wish the ATA was a little longer, but it is growing on me. If you have good/decent form you will have no problems, just don't peek or it will tell on you.

I cannot believe someone would design their own line of bows if they cannot understand how to tune a Mathews? Everyone that leaves my shop tunes........PERIOD!

As far as the creak at 3/4 draw (actually a "Tink" sound), remove the QCC's (Quick Cable Connector), sand off the inside until flat and smooth. Use dry graphite on the limb, and the inside of the QCC. Using grease will only attract dirt.

Not trying to rip on anyone...just telling it like it is.

I will tell you this, My first reezen had a big tuning problem. My riser was not right and no matter what arrow we used, no matter which way we moved the rest or how far, the bow wouldn't tune. I kept saying the bow was twisted and people were just saying I was to picky. I took it to lancaster and showed them, needless to say they sent it back because they agreed with me. Mathews replaced the bow and said their was something wrong with the riser and limbs. Now it shoots like a dream. Just be weary about the Reezen, Make sure when looking at it from behind that the string doesn't look like its too close to the cable guard. You can also chech this by screwing a long stabilizer on it and looking from the top of the bow, check to see if the limbs are pointed the same way as the stabilizer.

I have seen a few reezens like this so watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I will tell you this, My first reezen had a big tuning problem. My riser was not right and no matter what arrow we used, no matter which way we moved the rest or how far, the bow wouldn't tune. I kept saying the bow was twisted and people were just saying I was to picky. I took it to lancaster and showed them, needless to say they sent it back because they agreed with me. Mathews replaced the bow and said their was something wrong with the riser and limbs. Now it shoots like a dream. Just be weary about the Reezen, Make sure when looking at it from behind that the string doesn't look like its too close to the cable guard. You can also chech this by screwing a long stabilizer on it and looking from the top of the bow, check to see if the limbs are pointed the same way as the stabilizer.

I have seen a few reezens like this so watch out.
    This would be a very, very far and few situation. To single out one bow that this can happen to is a disservice to the company-----Name one company that hasn't had this problem at one time or another???? Every single company out there will have a few bows get out that are not correct and if anyone tells you any different they are lieing. I've seen it all from all companies---these types of problems are so few in the industry as a whole you would have a better chance getting hit on your porch by a car LOL.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Just got up and really appreciate the info so far. What about torque? I was told the bow needs to have some bottom weight in it, is this accurate. I plan on putting on a QAD rest. Will this work with the speed of this bow. It will be a 29/70lb bow. Thanks again for your help and time with this.

Travis

Yes they do tune way inside. If the shooter has an inside grip it will be almost impossible to tune. This has become an issue with almost all mathews since the switchback and every year they seem to tune farther and farther inside. Great bows as far as build quality goes and they have the advertising down, but as far as being the best bows built i don't think they are even close. Some of the best quality in the industry but i get a headache everytime a customer brings in a mathews from down the road because they can see their arrows kicking and then we have to try to get their grip good so the bows will tune close to centershot. leaning the idler can only do so much.
    This is what i have found out too.

They tune just fine cock vane will have to be at about 1:00 depending on the vanes your using. The Reezen is a good shooter that doesnt get enough credit. I always grouped very well with the one I had.

Do I need to get the focus grip?

Thanks

Travis

For those posts that say it's the archer not the bow, don't believe them. It is the bow. Any bow you have to take apart from factory to sand thing s down, or alter in any way at all has a problem in the design. Just like was stated above, I could look at my bow and see the center shot was off. I couldnt get rid of the left kick while trying to paper tune, then noticed the marks on the right side vane of all my arrows that started to appear. I thought it was all reezens but it looks like I could be wrong. I know it happened with two other dxt's as well, not as bad of fletch contact but after I pointed it out to my friends, they both noticed the dark marks on thier right vane. Don't want to start a fight just stating FACTS.

It goes to show you that everything has its issues. I have changed due to a PSE X force that will not tune. Spent tons of coin on rest, broadhead etc. So am trying something new and now I find out that the Reezen has had some tuning issue so we will deal with that. Continued thoughts would be appreciated.

Travis

For those posts that say it's the archer not the bow, don't believe them. It is the bow. Any bow you have to take apart from factory to sand thing s down, or alter in any way at all has a problem in the design. Just like was stated above, I could look at my bow and see the center shot was off. I couldnt get rid of the left kick while trying to paper tune, then noticed the marks on the right side vane of all my arrows that started to appear. I thought it was all reezens but it looks like I could be wrong. I know it happened with two other dxt's as well, not as bad of fletch contact but after I pointed it out to my friends, they both noticed the dark marks on thier right vane. Don't want to start a fight just stating FACTS.
    The issues with the QCC's has been happening a few years before the Reezen's inception. There's a Thread in Mathews Tech faq. section about dealing with possible clicking noises from the QCC's at the split yoke/limb area (2007). It's not that it's a design flaw in the manufacturing proccess, it's more like the issue doesn't show up untill the bow has been shot and broken in. It sounds like the QCC's sometimes don't wear in perfectly, so they just need a little attention.
    As far as saying there is a problem with a bow because when you look down the string/arrow/sight pins and it doesn't line up should know that just about any bow that has a "Machined Aluminum Riser" has what is known as "Riser Flex" and moves to some degree when at full draw compared to at rest. The bows that have the Magnesium Risers had virtually no flex so you could use a centershot tool or look at everything from behind and it would line up.
    I'm certainly not saying that the Reezen is the best bow ever created, but it's a great hunting bow in my book!

Sorry to argue with you bud. But if those bows leave the right set of hands...I can guarantee a different result. Not to sound arrogant...but this is the truth.

Out of all brands of bows I tune...Mathews is the easiest to tune...by far.

Note* The new Bowtech Destroyer is, IMO, thee single most tunable bow I have ever had in my shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast