Fletching Glue Comparison

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Fletching Glue Comparison

I don't about the rest of you but I want perfection when I fletch my Arrows. I like many others use wraps on my arrows and got tired of the vanes ripping off at various times. Everybody seems to love "Loctite" the super glue control gel with the blue top. The vanes that I am using are the quickspin hunters. NAP's own website infers that they are difficult to fletch and that you should take fine sandpaper to the base. I found that out later after I had several failed attempts with the first three below. later I started sanding and I even went a step further and lightly sanded the wrap surface to help better the bonding area.

Glues used:
    Loctite super glue control gel
    Locitite Stik'n Seal Ultra (universal Adhesive)
    Fletch-tite Platinum
    Goat tuff Premium
    Gorilla Glue Super glue Impact tough

Simply I fletched several arrows with quick spins following instructions, and for some waiting well past the recommended setup time. After they had their full time to adhere according to directions (Fletch tite 24hrs before shooting) I would attempt to rip the vane off of the wrapped arrow. After all the different glue attempts there are winners, losers and some that should never have competed....

Will start from the bootom and move up.

Last Place
    5. Fletch-Tite was a joke. It took a long time to bond and that bond was week. even after 36hrs drying time I could rip it off easily.

4. Goat Tuff Premium was not much better but a faster drying time, still came off too easy.

Tie for second place

2.5 Loctite super glue control gel (Blue cap) relatively good adhesion, but a pain to squeeze out of the bottle. I had a fast set up time, fast adhesion. Problem was that it was somewhat brittle. Not always, but if the gel was not perfectly covering the base the vane would rip off. I could rip this one off as well but it took a lot more effort than those that came before.

2.5 Loctite Stik'n Seal Ultra Universal adhesive Slightly edges out the control gel for strength and adhesion, but loses out on the set up time 30 minutes + per vane (too long). As for adhesion I really couldn't rip this off. A good glue, just takes to much time to fletch a dozen arrows.

1. The winner... Gorilla Super Glue Impact Tough. I tried this out of frustration, saw it at home depot and said what the he... Why does this one win: Set up time is seconds, adhesion is incomparable (I'll explain). I stated earlier how I would lightly sand the vanes and wraps to attain better adhesion. I was frustrated when I got to the gorilla glue and just put a layer on the vane and attached waited 10 minutes and tried to rip it off. Ten minutes and these vanes that had been so stubborn to attach the recommended glues, would not even budge! I would need to rip the wrap off to remove. Which if you are having to replace vanes on a wrap you need to re-wrap because of an remaining adhesives left behind that would interfere with the bonding of the new vane. Another great point is that this glue is cheaper than all the others, you get more glue than in the loctite gel for a little less.

Gluing some of the other vanes may not be as hard as the quickspins have been but any future fletching that I do will be with the gorilla glue.

I hope this helps a few of you out there that were or are getting frustrated with soemthing that should be relatively easy. Good luck and enjoy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review. I was going to try the Gorilla Glue from Home Depot, but it looked like it was rather thin and runny compared to the super glue control gel (which is what I'm currently using). I turned the bottle upside down in the store and it looked like it would be hard for me to use, so I didn't buy it.

Was it like a gel or was it thin and runny? I fletch 4" feathers so I like the thicker gel types because the bases of feathers seem more finicky.
    Last edited by Les K; May 2nd, 2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: More info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Buy it!!!! It is more fluid than the gel. The plus is that you are not having to squeeze those loctite bottles. It flows relatively easily, but it stay on the vane. Simply I take the top of vane in jig and tilt the bottle until it starts moving down the tube, easy to see and slowly draw it down the vane to be fletched. You will be surprised. It is less messy and easier to control than many others. It is not as fine of a hole as the control gel, but it comes out much easier than the control gel. You really don't need a lot of effort with this glue. Hands down, I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they buy and use this. For the money as well, great deal. Try it you will like it!

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Plus one on the Gorilla Glue!

I just fletched up my FMJs with 3 inch Fusion Vanes and I used the Gorilla Super Glue from Home Depot. It's very easy to get too much glue on the vanes however as it is runny and the tip of the bottle isn't as small as I'd like it. But just dab it lightly on the vane and then use the tip to spread it around so you have a thin base of glue on the vane. Works great!

This last Friday I was at a new archery shop that had recently opened up and they had new Spider Web targets for their practice range. Well they worked great for a while but I must have been hitting the same spot with my arrow enough to really weaken it cause my arrow ended up going all the way through up to the nock. What stopped the arrow was the tin wall behing the targets and my arrow had penetrated the wall by at least 8 inches. Well they had to take the target off the stand to get the arrow out of the wall. Then they pursued to try and pull the arrow out through the back of the target instead of pushing it back out the front, couldn't get to the arrow from the front because the targets have like a screen material then a few inches of deadspace before the suffing. It took 2 guys to pull the arrow out the back, because of the material used on the target, and in doing so it stripped the vanes and the wrap off the arrow. Now thats some tough glue! The best I've used yet. I will not be using any other glue for fletching my arrows.

Here is a pic of the arrow after the fact.

I'll try it!

By the way, you can disassemble those loc tite squeeze containers and you can remove the little tube that's inside. You will find it easy to use then and you'll also find that a LOT is wasted.

I had a real problem trying to squeeze the sides of those stupid bottles. Try searching loc tite and the directions for doing this should come up. I'll try it as soon as I'm done writing this and let you know. The original poster had pictures and everything.

Ok, I found it but all of the pictures were deleted. If you search loctite, the second page in will be a thread by D-Train on Feb 2 2010, titled "used loctite look what I found."

Don't get me wrong the loctite is good but I can rip the vane off with some effort. The gorilla glue you will rip the wrap off. As for applying the gorilla, lightly tilt the container as, yes it has a larger opening. I have not tilted upside down, just above 90 and it starts to come out, a little patience and you are good. It also does not take much to be efffective unlike the loctite that you really had to make sure that you got complete coverage and slightly thick to make sure that you really had the coverage. What I like about the gorilla, you don't have to be perfect, it spreads easily more so than loctite. Best advise: Slowly tilt, it will come out easy and spreads nicely. Then it will not move EVER!~

Loctite ultra-gel impact formula

try the loctite ultra gel impact formula glue for the best of both worlds--excellent
    bond and excellent control of flow.

Michael Stogre
    P.S. I purchased it at a Walmart store in Sudbury Ontario for 6.95 + tax

I fletch 1000s of arrows a year and have tested a lot of different glues. Here are that I use in my shop and have great success with.

For Vanes

A.A.E. Fast Set Gel
    B.S.I. (Bob Smith Industries) Gel
    Vibra-Tite Gel
    Loctite Ultra Gel
    Loctite (with the brush)

Bohning Platnium (the leading edge of the vane only)

For Feathers

Bohning Platnium

For Inserts

B.S.I. Toughened Black Rubberized (Hands down the best insert glue on the market)

Easton Quick H.I.T. For H.I.T. inserts
    Easton Hot Melt for Easton ACCs
    Easton Epoxy for H.I.T. inserts

The key to successful glue usage is arrow and vane prep.. When you are putting vanes on wraps your glue is only as good as the glue on the wraps. So extra care should be taken to make sure shafts are really clean before you install the wraps.

The best thing I have found in my entire career is a primer I use on vanes..

The most difficult vane on the market is Flex Fletch. In the past it has taken way too much time to scrub the foot with acetone prior to installing them on arrows. Even after taking care to prep these you still have some that would come loose.

A few weeks ago I found a product that has taken fletching to the next level.. I am convinced that 99.99% of adhesion issues can be resolved using this product.

It is a super glue Primer made by Vibra-Tite. With Flex Fletch all you have to do is take a Q-Tip and wipe the foot once! let it dry 30 seconds and add glue.. The next day you cant pull the vane off with pliers.

One thing about messy glue.. Super glue gel is a unique product.. when thin it grabs instantly but when it is a glob it can actually be wiped off a arrow shaft.

This is my main reason in using Gels, I put too much on vanes on purpose, so I can wipe the squeeze out off for a more finished look.. I use Q Tips for this, it makes the vanes look like they were installed with a fletching machine.

This doesnt work with custom wraps. You only have two choices, use the Loctite with a brush and be very careful or use a very thin clear wrap over the custom wrap.

Onestringer makes a thin wrap called a Double Dogg that works really well for this.
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Authorized Scorpyd, Tenpoint, Wicked Ridge, Horton, Excalibur, Ravin and Stryker Dealer
    No Nonsense Straight Forward Pricing Guaranteed!
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShoreRat View Post
    I fletch 1000s of arrows a year and have tested a lot of different glues. Here are that I use in my shop and have great success with.

For Vanes

A.A.E. Fast Set Gel
    B.S.I. (Bob Smith Industries) Gel
    Vibra-Tite Gel
    Loctite Ultra Gel
    Loctite (with the brush)

Bohning Platnium (the leading edge of the vane only)

For Feathers

Bohning Platnium

For Inserts

B.S.I. Toughened Black Rubberized (Hands down the best insert glue on the market)

Easton Quick H.I.T. For H.I.T. inserts
    Easton Hot Melt for Easton ACCs
    Easton Epoxy for H.I.T. inserts

The key to successful glue usage is arrow and vane prep.. When you are putting vanes on wraps your glue is only as good as the glue on the wraps. So extra care should be taken to make sure shafts are really clean before you install the wraps.

The best thing I have found in my entire career is a primer I use on vanes..

The most difficult vane on the market is Flex Fletch. In the past it has taken way too much time to scrub the foot with acetone prior to installing them on arrows. Even after taking care to prep these you still have some that would come loose.

A few weeks ago I found a product that has taken fletching to the next level.. I am convinced that 99.99% of adhesion issues can be resolved using this product.

It is a super glue Primer made by Vibra-Tite. With Flex Fletch all you have to do is take a Q-Tip and wipe the foot once! let it dry 30 seconds and add glue.. The next day you cant pull the vane off with pliers.

One thing about messy glue.. Super glue gel is a unique product.. when thin it grabs instantly but when it is a glob it can actually be wiped off a arrow shaft.

This is my main reason in using Gels, I put too much on vanes on purpose, so I can wipe the squeeze out off for a more finished look.. I use Q Tips for this, it makes the vanes look like they were installed with a fletching machine.

This doesnt work with custom wraps. You only have two choices, use the Loctite with a brush and be very careful or use a very thin clear wrap over the custom wrap.

Onestringer makes a thin wrap called a Double Dogg that works really well for this.
    Thanks for such detailed information! I currently use arrows with custom cresting (not wraps) and feathers and when I use the Fletch Tite Platinum, it has a sort of chemical reaction with the clear coat that I use that I don't like. It's not a cheap clear coat either, it's House of Kolor catalyzed Urethane that's more expensive than my arrow shafts! Automotive quality, and very hard. The Loctite gel glues don't seem to do this and hold well enough.

It sounds like the Gorilla Glue might stick better than loctite according to some here, but I don't think I need to have my feathers stick to my cresting THAT well. I have had an arrow go completely through a target and the feathers were still completely bonded. I like the control of the gel when it goes on, and it sounds like Loctite gel will flow better for me. It sounds like the Gorilla Glue is definitely thinner and will be harder for me to work with. I do like the rubberized impact formula.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Les K View Post
    Thanks for such detailed information! I currently use arrows with custom cresting (not wraps) and feathers and when I use the Fletch Tite Platinum, it has a sort of chemical reaction with the clear coat that I use that I don't like. It's not a cheap clear coat either, it's House of Kolor catalyzed Urethane that's more expensive than my arrow shafts! Automotive quality, and very hard. The Loctite gel glues don't seem to do this and hold well enough.

It sounds like the Gorilla Glue might stick better than loctite according to some here, but I don't think I need to have my feathers stick to my cresting THAT well. I have had an arrow go completely through a target and the feathers were still completely bonded. I like the control of the gel when it goes on, and it sounds like Loctite gel will flow better for me. It sounds like the Gorilla Glue is definitely thinner and will be harder for me to work with. I do like the rubberized impact formula.

Thanks all.
    I havent dealt much with cresting but I can see how that may be an issue.
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Authorized Scorpyd, Tenpoint, Wicked Ridge, Horton, Excalibur, Ravin and Stryker Dealer
    No Nonsense Straight Forward Pricing Guaranteed!
    Hidden Content

I've been using the Loctite brush on for a few years. The brush puts on a nice thin, neat layer. I've not lost a vane including Flex Fletch in this time. Loctite Gel is a pain for me. Recently used B.S.I. glue and it seems to be doing great. I made sure to cut the tip so there is a VERY small opening.

There is no way I'll ever spend the bucks for "fletching" specific glue again, especially Platinum!

After shooting arrows thousands of times indoors I have confidence a glue will hold. The Loctite brush on works and I'm certain that the B.S.I glue will also. I think any of the impact or flexible super glues will work. The Gorilla Glue is readily available so that's what I intend to purchase in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PSE Decree, Xpression 3D
    Stan ShootOff and Sable releases

Another big plus for the gorilla glue for me is that I get 2-3 times the amount of glue for a dollar more than the loctites. I haven't seen the brush applicator, or any of the loctites with a brush, but that may be where I am shopping. The one bottle of gorilla will be lasting a long time. I had a hard time knowing if I was out of the gel with loctite and it was to much of a pain to squeeze the stupid blue bottle. I would probably be the one in trying to open that bottle to get to the tube who ended up either gluing himself either to the arrow, or worse the table. Can't you just here that 911 call...

I used Fletch Tite for years on Cedar shafts with feather fletching and never had a problem. Don't know if you got a bad batch or what.

First I would like to point something out, for Quickspin vanes you have to use a cyanoacrylate glue, which Fletch Tite Platinum is not, this is why it won't work out all with those vanes.

My favorite glue for all purposes is the AAE Fastset glue. This stuff will make anything stick to anything, and it bonds in literally seconds. If you use it on inserts, you better be quick and not mess up, you don't get much time. It also beads out very well from its container which is nice.

I've tried Fletch Tite Platinum, Goat Tuff Premium, Quantum XT, and AAE Fastset.

Talking fletching glues...

i found you need to match the glue with the vanes for the best hold..
    like using aae fast set gel and aae vanes..
    and using loctite super glue for inserts.
    seems to be the best of both worlds.
    that my .02.....

The Gorilla Glue sounds great. Is it difficult to remove from the arrow when refletching?

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Ronnie View Post
    The Gorilla Glue sounds great. Is it difficult to remove from the arrow when refletching?
    Really its true that Gorilla Glue is great! But i don't think so that its difficult to remove it from the arrow when refletching..

If you use a wrap removal is easy. Sounds like you would not want to use it on a bare carbon shaft. Not bashing just looking to see if it can easily be removed to re-fletch.
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Twisted "X" strings / Fury
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 309 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Gorilla glue and fletchtite platinum are the only glues I have used for vanes. The platinum sucked and the gorilla worked great.platinum took for ever to dry and came off fairly easily. it was even worse when I tried to used it for inserts...maybe that isn't the way it was supposed to be used but it wasn't dry after 3 days.The Gorilla worked pretty well. It is runny and has a larger hole on the applicator than the platinum. its easy to put on way too much glue but like people said with the glues before...I just wiped it off with a qtip and it was fine. This was on a wrap also. less messy way is to put 3-4 dots of glue on the vane and then spread with the tip. leaves very little or none to wipe off. I have been gluing in insert with it too and haven't had one pull out.
    2011Hoyt CRX 70#/29" Limbdriven, G5 XR2
    2010 Hoyt Aphaburner Blackout Limbdriven, 70#/28.5"

cant anyone tell me what the set up time is on Gorilla glue before you can remove the clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by fire stomper View Post
    cant anyone tell me what the set up time is on Gorilla glue before you can remove the clamp.
    Only about a min or so on any super glue unless your using too much. I usually leave mine in longer then that. But I'm not in a rush when fletching.

Even using a glue like Flex Bond you can take the clamp off pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorilla glue is all I use now. I have tried about every glue for fletching and the Gorilla glue wins. It is a pain to remove when refletching but I refletch less often now.
    Squawsach

The biggest problem for me has been getting glue out of a bottle and applying it. Gorilla glue is one of the easiest. I found another one - "The Original Super Glue" in a bottle called "accutool". I think it is as strong as gorilla glue and easier to apply. I am not sure where I bought it but I believe it was Home Depot or Menards. The recommended clamp time for gluing is 15 seconds. Comes in a 5 gram bottle just like gorilla glue for the same price.

So now I have two types
    Gorilla glue and the original super glue

Quote Originally Posted by Les K View Post

Thanks all.
    Try lacquer based products. something about the chemicals in the glue breaking down anything but lacquers.
    Mathews MR7
    Mathews Triumph
    Mathews Helim
    Dead Center Archery Products,Whalens Release Aids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast