Thread: Black Lightning Owners - Info Request

Black Lightning Owners - Info Request

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Black Lightning compound bow that I believe was made by Jennings? It is set at 65# draw weight, the draw length is 30" and it is in pretty good shape.

Does anyone have any more information on this bow? I would like to know who made it and when. What type of stabilizer fits the bow. What is a good site to use. Anything would be useful.

This is my first compound bow and this is my first post. I tried the "Search" feature but there was little info. on this bow.

Bump

Anybody?

Answer My Own Question

Well, I have gathered that Jennings was purchased by Fred Bear in 1982. The bow that i have was made in 1990 by Bear Archery. Jennings and Bear are not part of a larger group of companies and marketed more as a brand.

Jennings black lightning

my buddy owned one, and you are correct, made in the early 90's, maybe late 80's. Jennings was part of Bear archery and sold at pro shops (at least at ours) that sold bear. I remember it was a nice bow, and pretty popular in our area. It'll take any sight you want to put on it, so no worries there, it's all standard inserts. good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop74 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Black Lightning compound bow that I believe was made by Jennings? It is set at 65# draw weight, the draw length is 30" and it is in pretty good shape.

Does anyone have any more information on this bow? I would like to know who made it and when. What type of stabilizer fits the bow. What is a good site to use. Anything would be useful.

This is my first compound bow and this is my first post. I tried the "Search" feature but there was little info. on this bow.
    Still have mine! I don't recall any particular information, except it was branded Jennings. That was my first bow that I have used for the last ~15 years until I upgrade last year. Unfortunately I don’t have any of the documents that came with it as all that has disappeared over the years between graduating high school, getting married, moving a couple of times and having kids.
    I believe almost any sight will fit it. I have a spring rest on it and shot it fingers only; never had a stabilizer on it though.

Jennings Black Lightning

I owned one in 1988 that I purchased new from a Bear Pro shop. It did have standard fittings for stabilizer, sights etc... The riser was made of cast magnesium, so I wouldn't overdo it taking the sights and/or stabilizer on and off a whole lot. If you have the "older" model of Black Lightning (green and black camo w/ straight edges on the limbs), the limbs are made of epoxy and have short life spans. The later models (usually a grey and black camo and a few rare early "film dipped" "Realtree" camo models w/ curved edges on the limbs) had compression molded glass limbs and were much more durable. Both models had the molded plastic wide wheels that did not require a cable guard. The fitting for a cable guard was present however. The riser had the old style "shallow" cut out that would make it very difficult to have enough clearance for modern "shoot through" or "drop-away" arrow rest. The riser was made to shoot perfectly with stick-on type rests such as NAP's Flipper 2 or Bear's Weatherest. You could probably make an NAP Centerest work also. An interesting side note is that I also had a #60 Howatt Hunter recurve at the time which shot 15 fps faster through the chronograph than the Black Lighning set at #65 w/ the same arrows.

Cool My husband has a bow like you described....

Quote Originally Posted by CERT 33 View Post
    I owned one in 1988 that I purchased new from a Bear Pro shop. It did have standard fittings for stabilizer, sights etc... The riser was made of cast magnesium, so I wouldn't overdo it taking the sights and/or stabilizer on and off a whole lot. If you have the "older" model of Black Lightning (green and black camo w/ straight edges on the limbs), the limbs are made of epoxy and have short life spans. The later models (usually a grey and black camo and a few rare early "film dipped" "Realtree" camo models w/ curved edges on the limbs) had compression molded glass limbs and were much more durable. Both models had the molded plastic wide wheels that did not require a cable guard. The fitting for a cable guard was present however. The riser had the old style "shallow" cut out that would make it very difficult to have enough clearance for modern "shoot through" or "drop-away" arrow rest. The riser was made to shoot perfectly with stick-on type rests such as NAP's Flipper 2 or Bear's Weatherest. You could probably make an NAP Centerest work also. An interesting side note is that I also had a #60 Howatt Hunter recurve at the time which shot 15 fps faster through the chronograph than the Black Lighning set at #65 w/ the same arrows.
    This part described it well...."The later models (usually a grey and black camo and a few rare early "film dipped" "Realtree" camo models w/ curved edges on the limbs) had compression molded glass limbs and were much more durable.". It is a Bear Archery 1990 Black lightning compound bow which he got from his brother who bought it at a yard sale for cheap. It's in very good condition. He wanted to know what it's worth and more information about it if anyone has it. It has stablizer bars and bolted on six arrow quiver. It has a 60# pull, draw length is 28", amo compound string length 36", it has 3 sight fittings also mounted in front of the bow quiver, it has two balancing bars (?) mounted on the bow frame that you screw in. The stablizer bar is approximately 1/2" wide and about 1' long. It is missing the front stabilizer bar he believes.
    Even if you can direct me somewhere on the web for more information, that would be great. He's not internet sauve yet so I am posting for him. He's never had a compound bow before and he's starting from scratch and trying to learn everything about it.
    Thanks in advance for anyone and everyone's help.