Thread: GPS Arrows>>>-------->

Lightbulb GPS Arrows>>>-------->

Is there such a thing

as GPS loaded arrows,,and if not,,let's get on and put some seeds out to plant........

Hood

I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

Thats a heck of an idea. A honing device on an arrow. Who da' thunk it?

All the pass through enthusiasts would have no use for it but you'd get your arrow back.

OR maybe it could have a gps nock with small barbs in it designed to stay in or on the animal when the arrow passes through? *wheels are turnin*

Originally posted by johnhames
    All the pass through enthusiasts would have no use for it but you'd get your arrow back.
    first you have to make the shot, My friend that has lost more then I'm going to say thought this up tonight, you now he was wondering how he was going to afford gas and arrows too

He got a whole field full of arrow over the last three years, he just wants his arrows back

Hood
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

I sorry i have to laugh at this ! GpS in arrows .question i have to ask have you been loseing to many arrows while target shooting or in the field hunting . Rememeber iam haveing a good laugh at this post ,

Only reason is that the subject was brought up in one of my hunting partys after losing to many arrows .One in question in ankle of caribou , {not many people build thier own arrows ,most have to pay up the wazoo for good arrows } Maybe the need was for homeing device to help find arrows or injured animal .

I use Gps for many diffrent uses .marking fishing spots in ocean ,trying to find way in dark or very foggy days , Never been lost ,Maybe a little confused for a day or two .

Hey support your local shearch and rescue-----get lost or just lose your arrows and dont cry about it

Iam still laughing Here ,

I know the feeling. I have a field full myself. Wonder if it is possible to train a dog to sniff out carbon? Heh...maybe a trained pig...like the ones that sniff out truffles.

Teach your friend how to install florescent blue wraps and glue on white fletch. Then attach a camo fletching cover to his bow quiver. This might be a better solution.

I had considered this or at least a way to track it similiar to a radio collar animals wear. A couple problems though. First, it probably would probably add a fair amount of weight but I am not certian how much. Second, Cost. Over come those 2 obsticles and you will be a rich man indeed!

Lost arrows are fun to find . Local shoot here group went out with metal detectors . found many lost arrows. Charging 1.00$ per arrow to get it back . Money was used to replace foam targets . Everyone had fun laughing at each others loss .

One thing that is known around the world about archery. it is spelled like this--- ARCH----"FUN"--- ERY. includes all ages .

After each season of hunting at my cabin .I find everyones arrows . Shooting them into a tree in the front of cabin for all to see . Theres about 100 arrows there . Stuck in the tree .Makes people look harder for lost arrows . Or get laughed at {some are mine ----i lose a few also }Harold

I haven't put much thought into a GPS in an arrow basically because it's not cost effective I guess but I have thought about this.....coming up with a very small transmitter that could be released from the arrow after passing into an animal and stays attached to the animal for tracking purposes. It could be very small and light, could be attached to some sort of barb so it gets released from the arrow upon penetration of skin and stays with the animal. You could then tune into the frequency with some sort of homing device and aid in tracking the animal.

I know this device would bring up many arguments among hunters claiming that it would aid hunters who take poor shots and other issues that everyone loves to argue about.

What do you guys think?

Jon

a very small transmitter that could be released from the arrow after passing into an animal and stays attached to the animal for tracking purposes
    That very thing was on the market about 10 years ago or so. Apparently it wasn't too popular, as I don't think it's around anymore.

Pope and Young doesn't allow any electronics, so you wouldn't be able to enter it into the book I don't think...

I think it is are responsibily to use every means neccesary in finding and animal struck by an arrow. Becuase every un recovered animal just adds full to some farmers fires about not allowing archery hunters because they wound to many deer. If there was a device that helped me track that would be great. I like to consider myself good at tracking. I am patient and picky when following a blood trail. I know at least a handful of guys who are the same way. But on the flip side, some people can not tract. Plain and simple. They just dont have the eye site, or the patients that it takes to be good at it. A device that can be tracked via an electronic device would help alot. I dont see the harm in it.

But i could see a person using it in a bad way. I could see a guy shoot a big deer at a bad angle hopeing it would stay in the deer, then using the device to find him for a better shot! But that would be a rare case. I just want to make sure that deer are not running around with arrows in them, or being poorly tracked.

I know some peopel are going to say, "well they should nto be bowhunting if they can not track." But that is just not the case. My dad is one of the best hunters I know, but he does not see that well anymore! SHould i tell him no more hunting becuase you stand zero chance at finding a deer if he runs over 40 yards.

"Trail Hook"

I believe was the name of a product out about ten years ago that employed a barbed hook mounted behind the broadhead. This was to stay in the deer and you were supposed to be able to locate it wusing a hand held device with an antenna and some sort of material that matched the hook. Well turns out it was a fake product that retailed for around $300 and the company was forced to stop selling it after a lawsuit. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time and technology before we have a product that really works. Then we can deal with the ethical concerns it is bound to bring-up.

Sounds like a great idea and I could sure use it, but arrows are expensive enough already!

Well it sounds like a good idea, have had ideas about this before but never really thought to hard about it. Here in illinois the state would probly consider it a tracking devise and they are not legal for game hunting here( i think not sure). I herd they are thinking about the lighted knocks as tracking devises and are considering them to be outlawed,,,just what i have herd.

Hrm...I can see how something like that would be very beneficial...but it would probably turn alot of hunter to taking marginal shots because they know they can just keep tracking the same deer down until they get the kill shot in.

Unreal. Ive been thinking about a small transmitter with a barb that would remain with the animal for quite a while. I figure someone will cash in on it eventually, just not me. lol
    Crazy 8's