Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaluations of bows under $500

Evaluations of bows under $500

Hi, this thread is for bows 2 years old or less that can be bought for $500 or less. My interest is that I will have a little more than that amount to buy a new or used bow. I have a bum shoulder so a smooth draw is important, also I hunt and want a really quiet and forgiving bow. That said the areas I ask you to evaluate are:

Draw cycle
    Noise
    Weight
    Accuracy
    Forgiveness
    Speed
    Please list the make, model, year, and cam

You can use a 1-10 scale or just tell me your thoughts in those areas, please note if there is a particular feature you like on the bow your are evaluating.

Thanks!

Hey,not sure if this helps but here goes...
    I bought a used '09 Hoyt 737 last month for less than 500,alot less.Bow is very smooth to draw with the cam and a half plus.I thought my '09 Quest was smooth untill I drew this.Quiet as any other bow I've shot.Accuracy and forgiveness-plenty.This is like a target bow.Speed-surprisingly fast.Weight-it's got some heft to it,but that helps to hold steady. I wouldnt call it heavy,just not a flyweight.

BTW-there are alot of other important factors you should look for.Such as let-off,valley of let-off,solid back wall or soft back wall and more. Good Luck.

I bought a 08 Diamond Rock brand new and it's a great little. I've shot a lot of different bows, but this is a great huntin' bow for the price. Fit and finish are great. I love the solid back wall and the bow draws into a nice valley. It's a pretty smooth drawing bow, but it is a single cam so it should be smooth. Noise is no more than any other typical bow, but with a string stop and cat whiskers it's even more quiet. It's a real short bow which is great for blind or treestand hunting. It's fairly forgiving since it has a 7" brace height and so far I've robin hooded a couple of times, and I'm certainly no crack shot. Really for the money this bow is awesome. The Stud would be even better and I think it MSRP for 500 dollars.
    Hoyt Dorado
    Ancient Spirit Mountain Ash
    08 Diamond The Rock
    Easton FMJ 400
    All Kinds of Broadheads!

Well for a new bow under $500 i think if you look at the quality of build and what you get, the new G5 Quest series bows are hard to beat. The Smoke retails for $499 and is a solocam still moving a arrow at upto 324 fps and does it with a 7.25" BH. They even got a great bow called the Hammer for $399 that you can purchase as a package for $499 to get you hunting once you grab some arrows. G5 does the machining for the well known Elite brand famous for flawlessly machined risers, as is the Quest. Definately worth a look, pm me if you would like further info.
    TROPHY HUNTERS SUPPLY LLC
    Authorized Dealer of: Elite Archery.. PSE..ONEIDA EAGLE.. Xpedition..& OBSESSION Bows- Ten Point.. Scorpyd..& Barnett crossbows-AXT-Carbon Express-Rage-QAD-Tru Fire-Stokerized, KTech Stabilizers-HHA..CBE..& Trijicon Sights- we have many more products, please call! www.trophyhunterssupply.com text to 920-562-0099 sales@trophyhunterssupply.com CALL/TEXT OR EMAIL US FOR FAST REPLIES!! Store number 920-833-BOWS (2697)

I agree,if you want new then Quest is gonna be hard to beat in that price range.

Mathews Drenalin Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Palegabe View Post
    Hi, this thread is for bows 2 years old or less that can be bought for $500 or less. My interest is that I will have a little more than that amount to buy a new or used bow. I have a bum shoulder so a smooth draw is important, also I hunt and want a really quiet and forgiving bow. That said the areas I ask you to evaluate are:

Draw cycle
    Noise
    Weight
    Accuracy
    Forgiveness
    Speed

You can use a 1-10 scale or just tell me your thoughts in those areas, please note if there is a particular feature you like on the bow your are evaluating.

Thanks!
    After a long search and testing out 35 or more bows, I ended up with an 08 Mathews Drenalin. Here's how I rate it.

Draw cycle 9+, about as smooth as it gets
    Noise 9 - very quiet bow
    Weight 9 slim limb design makes it ery light
    Accuracy 9 33 inch ata, holds pretty steady, especially with a small stablizer
    Forgiveness 7" brace height helps with torquing issues
    Speed 8 IBO's at 320, see my signature for numbers
    Please list the make, model, year, and cam 2008 Mathews Drenalin, single cam, 29" draw length

I have an old shoulder injury too so my checklist is similar.
    If you can shoot a shorter ATA bow, try the Mathews DXT and the Diamond Black ice. The Martin Moab and Firecat TR1 also fit in this category.
    08 Mathews Drenalin, 60-70lb, 29" 422 gr 340 Easton Axis N-Fused, 2" Blazer vanes @ 67 lbs, 279 FPS, 73 lbs KE, 100 gr G5 Striker Broadheads, Trophy Taker FC Fall Away Rest, Black Gold Flashpoint Extreme 5 pin Sight

The 2010 Pearson Predator package. Very light mass weight and completely decked out for around 500 bucks. This is a short very light, very quiet awsome combo. My 12 year old sjot one the other day and he has been privy to some high end stuff and he fell in love with my demo and told me I couldn't get rid of it. Good luck as there is some great bows in that price range even new ones, Dan.
    Have bow will shoot

Mission Eliminator 2

Guys,

First of all I want to thank you for your replies. I have not shot a quest or a Diamond Rock. Bass Pro has the Rock but not the quest.

What do you guys think of the Mission Eliminator 2? I test shot one and liked it quite a bit. Bare Bow was $450.

Draw cycle was smooth I'd give it a 8.5.
    Noise was low 8.5.
    Weight was just under 4lbs 3.96lb
    Accuracy I couldn't tell no rest or sight.
    Forgiveness I couldn't tell but the brace height was 7.125 inches
    Speed I couldn't tell. The bow was set at 61lbs.
    Please list the make, model, year, and cam: Mission Eliminator 2, 2010, solo cam.

The reviews of this bow here on the forum have been very positive.

I also could pick up a damond black ice 2009 for under $500 on ebay. Thoughts between those bows listed and the eliminator 2 verses the black ice?

Draw cycle
    Noise
    Weight
    Accuracy
    Forgiveness
    Speed

Thanks!
    Ross Carnivore.
    You were able to get nib for 385.00 or so. Now selling as bowtech for around 600.00 I believe.
    Draw cycle 10
    noise 9.5
    weight 7 Most people would rate it as lower as its around 4.5 pounds
    but it balances so well and is so shock free I dont use a stab
    and ends up being lighter than a bow with on.
    Accracy and forgiveness I can comment on as Ive been working alot so am lucky to shoot once every 4-8 weeks,but has a 7 1/2" bh I believe
    speed 7 ibo of around 318. No speed deamon but fast enough

Year in and out, the Basspro Redhead Kronik is rated one of the best $ for $ bows in Peterson and Bowhunting as well as the archery evolution compound bow shoot-off. I think it is made by either Diamond or Bowtec. Anyways, I was thinking about one myself after shooting one. Currently on sale as a package for under $400.00 for the package below:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Engineered to be compact and lightweight with lots of advanced features for top performance at an affordable price. The 4" idler wheel and aggressive single cam produce top speeds while the moderate axle-to-axle length and brace height make it extremely forgiving. Adjusts from 25" to 30" in 1" increments with no bow press required. Polycarbonate 2-piece grip is specially engineered to reduce hand torque. Tough machined-aluminum riser, parallel limbs. Color: Mossy Oak® Obsession®.
    Package includes: TruGlo® 3-pin fiber-optic sight, Hostage® capture-style rest, and a 4-arrow, 1-piece quiver.

80% let-off (adjusts 65%)
    Brace Height: 7-1/8"
    Axle-to-axle: 30–5/8"
    IBO Speed: 304 fps
    Weight: 3.4 lbs.

my suggestions

1) 09 Elite z28--- Smoothest drawing bow on the planet earth and has all the bells and whistles you are looking for!

2)The G5 quest line is hard to beat for new pricing!

I'd seriously check into these 2 lines and I gurantee you will be impressed! and if you need help finding either bow to purchase ..holler I have a few connections

Just ordered a Martin Pantera. $499.99. Should be in by the end of the week. I'll let you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by olediehard View Post
    1) 09 Elite z28--- Smoothest drawing bow on the planet earth and has all the bells and whistles you are looking for!

I'd seriously check into these 2 lines and I gurantee you will be impressed! and if you need help finding either bow to purchase ..holler I have a few connections
    The Z28 was mentioned before as well. The problem with elite is I can't get my hands on one. I can't find a dealer that carries one. I know it is a great bow by reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by 1armarcher View Post
    Just ordered a Martin Pantera. $499.99. Should be in by the end of the week. I'll let you know.....
    I am looking forward to that.

$500 will buy a VERY nice bow from the Classifieds!! I would check into a used Z34 r2b2 or Maybe a Stealth solo from Select Archery for $399 ish!
    Alpine Fireball F1

under 499

check out the carbon tech bows the lighting has 1 of the best draw cycles on the planet ibo 315+

just bought a brand new 2010 Pantera for under $500 and couldnt be any happier with my decision...

2013-Pse''DNA'' Ripcord-"Code Red"MBG-Ascent "Ambush" TightSpot Quiver Easton "Injexion"CX-''Maxima-Red'' TrueFire''Hardcore-MAX'' Release" B-Stinger Pro Hunter Maxx''

Any year Martin Cheetah!! I have an 07 Cheetah and it's one of the smoothest bows I've ever shot (although I admit that's not too many lol). -Chris
    "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus"
    Target Rig: Diamond Liberty; BCY 452X; Sword Titan; Posten Stabilization; Victory X-Ringer HV 350; Victory X-Killers; Carter Ember 1; Carter Only
    Hunting: Bowtech Admiral FLX; TruGlo MicroSite; Scott Shark; Gold Tip Exp. Hunter 5575

Quote Originally Posted by realone7575 View Post
    just bought a brand new 2010 Pantera for under $500 and couldnt be any happier with my decision...
    Could you elaborate a little?

I just purchased a 09 Black Ice in the LH classifieds for $455 nib. The price just dropped to $415! These are lefties but perhaps some right handed models are for sale too? Smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot!
    2013 Pearson Stealth ll SD

Quote Originally Posted by DTales View Post
    I just purchased a 09 Black Ice in the LH classifieds for $455 nib. The price just dropped to $415! These are lefties but perhaps some right handed models are for sale too? Smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot!
    How does it compare to your Mathew's?

Diamond "THE ROCK"!!!!

I also have a bad shoulder (bursitis) and I am going to Africa in a month. I need a good backup bow!

I got an '09 Rock off EBAY new for under $200!!!!! (Retail is $400!!)

I tricked it out with some accessories sitting around, spent abotu $70 on new stuff (rest, limbsavers), and took it to the range.

259 FPS @ 28 in., 66#, Beman ICS (~400 gr.). Smooth as silk on the draw. Quite as church on the release.

Plan B: I was also impressed with the Martin Pantera (~$500 retail) . The $300 difference when I'm counting pennies to cover the trip "incidentals" (ground transport to JFK, etc.) made the decision for me.

Oh.....look at KTTAPE.COM, and visit your local Sports Authority or Dick's sporting goods. GOOD stuff for a bad shoulder!!!

Could you elaborate a little?
    well it draws real smooth and limbs are bottomed out has a great wall could hold it back there all day i guess a couple guys on here are gettin really good speeds out of theres and a plus in my book is its one sweet looking bow!!! all this for under $500.00 plus a custom made string from JRH60(Advantage Archery) trust me you cant go wrong...

2013-Pse''DNA'' Ripcord-"Code Red"MBG-Ascent "Ambush" TightSpot Quiver Easton "Injexion"CX-''Maxima-Red'' TrueFire''Hardcore-MAX'' Release" B-Stinger Pro Hunter Maxx''

2 cents

This is my first post. I just shot the Quest Hammer, Heat and Primal today, as well as the 2010 Elite Z28, thanks to a factory rep who dropped by the local shop. As mentioned, the Quest line is a great buy. The Heat, Primal and Z28 had rock solid walls, which I like. All 4 bows were quite smooth, quiet and had very little hand shock, almost like shooting a gun with a suppressor! The rep said the Primal and Z28 are mostly the same bow, apart from better limbs on the Z28.

I don't have tons of experience, but I've previously shot Bear, Browning, Reflex, and Hoyt. The Primal and Z28 were head and shoulders above them in draw, let-off, smoothness, wall, hand shock and sound. I think my pennies will be saved. For me, shooting the Z28 was like looking through a Swarovski spotting scope: don't do it unless you have the money, because discontent is inevitable afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by olediehard View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast