Thread: 8.0 gpi too much?

8.0 gpi too much?

I am shooting a PSE Chaos SI at 45# and 26" draw and am having problems getting good penetration into the target. I shoot the Victory Vforce HV V6's at 25.5 or 26" and they seem to be too light. If there is very much wind at all it seems to affect the arrow quite a bit. So i am a little worried about using them for deer season this year due to this fact. So i got looking around and came across the Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts in the 500 spine and they are 8.0 gpi. I thought well that would probably give me some good KE but didnt know for sure or not if it was too heavy. I want my arrows to be like a truck when it hits the deer but the problem with that is my low poundage and stuff. But is 8.0 gpi too much?

Elite GT500 Ninja 62#/28"dl
    Easton FMJs 400 /HHA Optimizer/ QAD HDX/ Proline Bow Strings
    Life is like an arrow-->You must know where to aim at-->How to use the bow-->Then draw it to your head and let it go-Henry Dyke

8.0 sounds good to me even in a 45# bow. but i wood make sure that they shoot good out of your bow
    2011 Bowtech Destroyer 340 60/70
    Spott-Hogg hoggit .10
    11.5" DOINKER FIELD STABILIZER
    Gold Tip veloicty 400
    G5 T3 100gr

I think 8 gpi is pretty common really. But I'm afraid at you draw weight and length not much out there is gonna "hit like a truck". And for that matter arrows are not bullets. Bullets are designed to hit like a truck. They mushroom when they hit causeing great shock to an animal. Arrows are desinged to slice and kill an animal through bleeding. So even if your setup produced 100 pounds of kenetic energy it still won't kill a deer any faster if your arrows hit the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by caribou77 View Post
    I think 8 gpi is pretty common really. But I'm afraid at you draw weight and length not much out there is gonna "hit like a truck". And for that matter arrows are not bullets. Bullets are designed to hit like a truck. They mushroom when they hit causeing great shock to an animal. Arrows are desinged to slice and kill an animal through bleeding. So even if your setup produced 100 pounds of kenetic energy it still won't kill a deer any faster if your arrows hit the same place.
    Yes i understand that. Thanks for the information. Any ideas on what the KE would be?
    Life is like an arrow-->You must know where to aim at-->How to use the bow-->Then draw it to your head and let it go-Henry Dyke

If you had your arrow speed we could easily figure that out but no I don't know right off hand. Sorry.

maxxis 31 Guest
    dont think i would go with 8.0 gpi. im shooting 70# at 29.5 inch draw with 340 spine 8.2 gpi flatlines. that is too heavy of an arrow for a 45# draw.

maxxis 31 Guest
    a good rule is you should have 5 grains per pound of DW. youre shooting 26 inch arrows at 8 gpi. thats 208 and give 10 or 15 grains for vanes and the nock and 100 for the tip. youre looking at 320 grains. a 45 pound draw should not have a 320 grain arrow. thats close to what i shoot at 70#

I just looked up the chaos's ibo speed. 290 at 50#/28 in. So with your arrow weight and draw lenght....i'm gonna guess your kinetic at around 40#? And yes you could easily go with a lighter arrow and not hurt a thing as maxxis 31 said.

I would go with flatline 500

+1 Flatline 500
    Hoyt Turbo Hawk
    Hoyt Maxxis 35

Quote Originally Posted by maxxis 31 View Post
    a good rule is you should have 5 grains per pound of DW. youre shooting 26 inch arrows at 8 gpi. thats 208 and give 10 or 15 grains for vanes and the nock and 100 for the tip. youre looking at 320 grains. a 45 pound draw should not have a 320 grain arrow. thats close to what i shoot at 70#
    5 grains per pound of DW is the minimum that will not void the warranty on most bows. Most people shoot much more than that.

To the OP heavier arrows will penetrate better than lighter arrows peroid. I think that the 500 spine ICS bowhunters would be a good choice in a hunting arrow for your setup. My wife shoots 500 spine ICS's out of her #40 bow with 24.5" draw and gets passthrus on deer with 100gr. 4 blade buzzcuts. Another thing that you can do to increase penetration is to shoot a 2-blade cut on contact broadhead like the magnus stinger/buzzcut, steel force, muzzy phantom, ect...

When I had my Mathews Ignition about a year or so ago, I had a 24" draw and was pulling 40# at one time and then got it up to 50# and I was shooting the Easton Axis 500's which are 9.1 gpi also, I got ver good penetration for that low of a poundage and I currently am using the Easton axis 400's with my setup, I am absolutely impressed with them and will not be switching to a different arrow any time soon. IMO the best hunting arrows on the market today.
    Elite Z28 Snow 65#: Easton Bowfire, Muzzy, Qad, Black Gold, X-factor
    Elite Energy 35:Elite Ultra rest, black gold, easton injexion, x-factor
    Elite Answer *ninja*: QAD, Black Gold, Injexion, Muzzy
    Elite Energy 32 80#

its not to heavy ,, my wife shoots axis 400 cut down with 22" draw and 40#, they weigh 9 gr, and penetrate like crazy.. you will be limited on range anyway so keep the weight up so it will carry through.. 1 other arrow you might want to look at is victory nanos,

Quote Originally Posted by 204guy View Post
    5 grains per pound of DW is the minimum that will not void the warranty on most bows. Most people shoot much more than that.

To the OP heavier arrows will penetrate better than lighter arrows peroid. I think that the 500 spine ICS bowhunters would be a good choice in a hunting arrow for your setup. My wife shoots 500 spine ICS's out of her #40 bow with 24.5" draw and gets passthrus on deer with 100gr. 4 blade buzzcuts. Another thing that you can do to increase penetration is to shoot a 2-blade cut on contact broadhead like the magnus stinger/buzzcut, steel force, muzzy phantom, ect...
    i am shooting the 2 blade Buzzcut in 100 grain.

With a lower lb. bow,forget about KE...doesn't mean squat. Go with the heavier arrow and start blowing thru deer. I shoot a 435-530gr arrows off 45-50lb recurves and ALWAYS get pass-thrus

Is there a Axis arrow and an Axis ST?

8.0 gpi too much

Well when my son first started out. He shot a 24.5 draw 38 pounds.I had him shooting the gold tip 35/55 with 100 grain mangus 2 blade four inch feathers 24 inch arrow.He shot a real big bodied buck right in the crease on right side out through center of left shoulder at 20 yards.The nock an feathers where still in deer.The deer was dead less than 70 yards.
    Nothing like splattered blood all over leaves

8.0 gpi too much

Have you considered the Velocity xt or pro's 400 arrows at 7.4 grs per inch.
    Nothing like splattered blood all over leaves

Where is the cheapest place to buy Easton Axis 500 spine arrows? Cheapest iv found is 99.99 for a dozen and that seems expensive. Also do i want 500 or 400 spine?

im close to your setup (55# 26 dl) with my Browning Rage,
    i would look closer to 6.0 to 7.0 gpi for your setup... i tried the ACC's at 8.5 gpi and i might as well have been throwing them by hand i think its a fine line between too light and to heavy,go too far either way and your KE suffers.... just my opinion of course
    closed open closed.... listen to the string music

Quote Originally Posted by MOhunter13 View Post
    Where is the cheapest place to buy Easton Axis 500 spine arrows? Cheapest iv found is 99.99 for a dozen and that seems expensive. Also do i want 500 or 400 spine?
    def the 500's... South Shore Archery supply is def the best! call him he will set you right up through On Target
    closed open closed.... listen to the string music

Quote Originally Posted by Justin82 View Post
    def the 500's... South Shore Archery supply is def the best! call him he will set you right up through On Target
    Thanks i will check them out.

Check out the Beman Team Realtree 500's. Very similar to the Axis yet less money. The slim diameter will help with penetration. You need to throw the KE out the window and look at momentum. The heavier arrow will help you with penetration. At that poundage your arrow will arc no matter what so learn your yardage or limit your shot distance and you will be fine with a good sharp cut on contact broadhead.

My girlfriend has a 26" DL and shoots the Beman's cut to 25.25". I've got an arseload of them and if you pay shipping I'll send you a couple to have as long as you can use them that short. She uses a dropaway rest so it's not a problem with her 26" DL. Let me know by PM if you want a couple.