Thread: Brushing in the ground blind

Brushing in the ground blind

What are some clever ways to "tie" brush, limbs, etc. onto groundblinds? It's obvious how to cut limbs and put them on the ground around the bottom of the blind, but to really camouflage them, I believe you need brush over the top of the shooting windows and on top, but how do you guys tie 'em on?

BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience
    QAD HDX rests
    Spot Hogg Hunter & Tommy Hogg Sights
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

zip ties.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

On my old blind,I just laid limbs over the top of it.My new one has loops sewn around it.This is the one with out the loops.

I have the same problem. This year I am going to try some bungee cords across the top and then some zip ties with that if needed.
    2012 Strother Wrath
    Scott Wildcat Release
    Gold Tip XT Hunters 28.5 in. w/Blazer Vanes and Wraps

Cedars

I try hard to find a bunch of cedars about the same height as my blind. I cut down the middle ones and put the blind in the middle - use the cut ones to finish the job. I cut some of the smaller branches and leave short 3 inch stubs near the cut ends. They fit nicely in the brush loops and will "catch" and not slip out. Other branches can then be woven in with the larger ones holding on to the brush loops, keeping it all together.

Overhanging evergreen branches from larger trees are also dandy places to put a blind. It's dark and shady there already, and the blind disappears easily under the hanging branches. I concentrate more on a few key shooting lanes and try not to worry about 180 degrees of shooting. That way I can cover up the odd window and use it only for looking, not shooting.

I've made my ground blind invisible enough that stray dogs have walked right past it with me in it and never known I'm there. Cedar leaves a nice cover scent as well...

However you do it, its probably most important to hide the roof outline and the right angles.

I agree cutting a cedar or pine works very well.

The D/B T2 and similar blinds hide easier since they have no right angles.

marty
    Duck or Bleed.

Wow. Are you guys in some high pressure areas? I just set mine up against a tree. The only problem I've had is with pronghorn on the watering hole. They don't like new crap!

Most ground blinds have loops sewn around the base and top of the ground blind so you can put limbs around it I didn't even realize one of mine had them until I actually looked closer. You can often build a base with limbs around the blind and add to that and it works pretty good, but can be time consuming if you plan on moving it often. I usually just lay limbs on top of the blind and if you cross them they will stay unless it's really windy or a heavy storm comes through the area. The best way I have seen from members on here is to find a spot that is already brushed in really good. Rather than try to brush the blind in, clear a spot until you can fit the blind in.

well i stand cedar trees on sides of windows and zip tie them. . good cover that last all season
    Elite Energy 32-280 fps
    Carbon express mayhem hunter-463 gr
    10 in bee stinger prohunter maxx
    grim reapers and DRT Dirt nap

well i have also just tied it out in the middle of a crp field. . .looked like a sore thumb however put it up two weeks prior to season and let it be for three weeks had doe within feet of the blind
    Elite Energy 32-280 fps
    Carbon express mayhem hunter-463 gr
    10 in bee stinger prohunter maxx
    grim reapers and DRT Dirt nap

great tips on brushing in the blind, but can they be left in place for 6 week or so ? what brand of blind are most of you using ? I plan on setting it up about 3 days prior to the opening of archery season in mid Oct and would like to leave in place thru the last week of Nov...I plan on using stakes, and since I hunt daily would also brush off snow daily so it is not pushed down...
    SOB (Sweet Old Bill) Bill Olmesdahl
    Sand Dune archery club MB SC,
    Gibertville rod and Gun NY,
    Seniors archery 3D/ hunt Oneonta NY

Quote Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
    great tips on brushing in the blind, but can they be left in place for 6 week or so ? what brand of blind are most of you using ? I plan on setting it up about 3 days prior to the opening of archery season in mid Oct and would like to leave in place thru the last week of Nov...I plan on using stakes, and since I hunt daily would also brush off snow daily so it is not pushed down...
    Find a stick or adjustable pole of some kind and put it in the middle of your blind when not hunting.That will keep the snow from caving it in.I learned that trick the hard way.

Some great ideas here guys, thanks....

I'm using Double Bull Darkhorse blinds. I don't think they have any build in loops. If they do, they're dang sure inconspicuous!

I'm thinking about buying some 1" wide velcro and sewing "loops" about 2/3 up the blind. That way I can attach pretty big limbs to the blind and have them hold.
    BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience
    QAD HDX rests
    Spot Hogg Hunter & Tommy Hogg Sights
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

thanks for the tips and keep them coming...being a older fart ( 68 ) that has bad legs has now taken it toll on hunting so I will have to find how to use a ground blind. I hunt both bow and gun

I sure like the way you have brush in some of the blinds and also the tip on having a center post that you setup to keep the snow from pushing in your blind..
    SOB (Sweet Old Bill) Bill Olmesdahl
    Sand Dune archery club MB SC,
    Gibertville rod and Gun NY,
    Seniors archery 3D/ hunt Oneonta NY