Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just how big do black bears get?????

just how big do black bears get?????

i saw some big bears in alaska & canada."big but" i saw a hoss this wk'end in renersville Oh ...in a cage they say it's 9yrs old & 900-1000 lbs..this is by far the biggest blackie i ever saw...(big as a damn horse) but a1000#?????

stephen J.Bear...

There was one on the mountain behind the house (Vermont) that was run up a tree and darted by fish and game and it went 500 even live. It's the largest black bear I've seen. I've seen many since that are about the same size out west. Ninehundred pounds!! Must waddle a bit when it walks eh?

the darn thing walks like a caterpillar.i've saw 500# ers & he is bigger....
    stephen J.Bear...

The ones kept in captivity will get much bigger because they don't have to hibernate (=so don't lose weight as much in the winter) and on top of that they get easy food from poeple throwing them stuff and from the place who keeps them. Its only reason they get much bigger. A nice black bear in Canada is 300 and over. A giant is 400 pounds and over and an absolute monster is 500 and over dressed weight.

I don't think a captive bear is representative of the size potential of a wild bear.

With that said, it is probably interesting to see just how big a black bear can get when it doesn't have to work for it's food, and the food is likely high quality, and plentiful.

We have them up to 800#'s live weight here in Pa.!
    Stage 1 Strings Hunting PS / Fury X Archery SS / Dead Center Archery PS / Slick Trick PS / Gold Tip AS / Carbomask PS / Trophy Blend Scents PS / Tenzing FS / Bohning SS / U-Slide PS / Spot Hogg PS / TightSpot Quiver PS / Mossy Oak PS / Swarovski Field Tech / Team QAD PS

Ive shot a 350lber with my bow and there have been SEVERAL over 600#'s taken there also!! This is in Forestville,Quebec Canada

The north east side of North Carolina grows some big ones. 5 or so years ago one was taken that weighed over 800#. They flat bedded it out....huge. They live in the Dismal Swamp and get fat in the farmer's fields. Canada andthe coastal areas really grow the skull size.
    Mainstreet 405/330
    Hawke XB30 Compact
    Matrix 380
    Hawke XB30 Pro

My next door neighbor is a big time bear hunter in Northeastern N.C., they kill at least 3 or 4 a yr that go between 600 and 750 lbs.
    I came into the world covered in my Mothers blood and I'll leave REDEEMED by the blood of Jesus. All to Him I owe
    ON TARGET FOR CHRIST, mathews c4 and mr8 , Chill X Swhacker 125's
    Sealed in the Beloved and still under construction.
    2012/13 champs "Flatliners"2013-14 champs Magnificent 7 Dream Team 17

I read somewhere that the record black bear was 880lbs.

Largest one I've seen alive was bayed up with hounds in Maine. We estimated him at 500-550.

Two largest I've seen dead were the Maine state record at 680 lbs and the PA record 10 years back that was 830 lbs. The PA record is now 864 lbs

Common size for a huge bear in Wisconsin is 400-600 lbs. Some have been killed in the state around 800lbs and over. Average bear in wisconsin killed by hunters is 150lbs.
    www.unitedbloodtrackers.org
    Boone (lab)& Crocket (Bavarian Mountain Hound)
    Boone & Crocket deer recovery Wisconsin (location Tigerton WI)
    Serving Shawano, Waupaca and surounding county's

In my opinion a lot of the weights you will hear when it comes to bears are exaggerated.

I live in western Washington and we had a 8ft 570lb big boy taken in 08 about 3 miles from my house.....
    They like the thick woods that we have plenty of that here!

Pa gets some 7-800 pounders every year

I believe the North Carolina record is somewhere around 800lbs.
    PASSTHRU ARCHERY - 828-273-2815
    Obsession /Athens / Xpedition Dealer
    Custom Bow Tuning
    Facebook.com/PassthruArcheryAshvl

I just saw my largest black bear ever last weekend hunting turkey with 12-Ringer in Potter Co. PA. It was alone (probably a boar) and looked to be around 400 lbs.
    After this sighting I got interested in the largest black bear on record and NC and PA are indeed on top for heaviest weight.
    2013 Pearson Stealth ll SD

pa bears

Quote Originally Posted by JD BC View Post
    In my opinion a lot of the weights you will hear when it comes to bears are exaggerated.
    all Pa. bears are checked in at weigh stations. so I know they are not exaggerated.
    2012 Vantage Elite Plus, 2010 Red fusion Hoyt Contender Elite, 09 Hoyt Alphamax 35, Mathews Conquest Apex, Twisted Tribe Bowstrings, Gold Tip Arrows, Bodoodle Rests, B Stinger Stabilizers, Courtney Archery Staff Shooter, Bohning Staff Shooter, Tru Ball Staff Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by PaP&Ybowhunter View Post
    all Pa. bears are checked in at weigh stations. so I know they are not exaggerated.
    I never said they are all exaggerated and I do know they can put on some major weight.

pa

I read an article about a PA. bear that was found poached the 1st week of may. It weighed 675lbs, officials figured it would weigh close to 900 lbs in the fall.
    2012 Vantage Elite Plus, 2010 Red fusion Hoyt Contender Elite, 09 Hoyt Alphamax 35, Mathews Conquest Apex, Twisted Tribe Bowstrings, Gold Tip Arrows, Bodoodle Rests, B Stinger Stabilizers, Courtney Archery Staff Shooter, Bohning Staff Shooter, Tru Ball Staff Shooter

They can get huge! I have heard of them pushing 900lbs, uncommon but doable

According to a site I just found, the W.R. is from N.C in 1998, a 10.75 year old at 880lbs. But that being said like the other guys noted I know the there are several every year here in PA that go well over the 800 lb mark. I don't hunt them but a couple years ago I found a nice crisp clear undeteriorated track in firm corn field mud that a 5 mile motorola radio fit inside, antena tip to the bottom of the radio laid right inside the front pad. I don't know how big that is but it seems pretty big, that's what 6.5 or 7 inches across
    "13" DARTON DS3800
    DEAD CENTER STABILIZERS
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS

Nc brute

that big one in Eastern NC went 880#. heard it was gorging itself on dead hogs that a farmer was burying

If I remeber right, here in lower Michigan a 500 lb was killed last year.

Crazy Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tSeeMe View Post
    that big one in Eastern NC went 880#. heard it was gorging itself on dead hogs that a farmer was burying
    You are absolutely correct on weight and diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast