Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Arrows? Are they worth it?

Expensive Arrows? Are they worth it?

I need some new arrows and have never spent more than about 75 dollars on a dozen. If I get say a 120 dollar dozen that is straighter is it going to make me a better shot? I don't think it will but thought you guys/gals might know something I don't. I cant find any objective test that would prove it one way or the other.

IMHO I would say for some casual 3-d shooting and hunting. 80 bucks is more than enough to get a quality arrow that shoots just fine. the epics from your signature are great arrows. I shoot flatlines just for the extra speed. If I didn't I would have the epics or the axis.
    Mathews Reezen 7, Easton flatline 340s, ripcord, Black gold flashpoint.
    Elite Gt500, Gold tip Xt 75/95, limbdriver, Armor Tech HD.

Elite Z28, Gold Tip 75/95s, limbdriver, Black Gold Ascent 3pin.
    Bear Kodiak Mag, 48# just learning
    :
    Beyond Addiction Adventures Pro-Staff. Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings staff shooter.

O yeah they are u pay for what you git you don't what wal mart arrows do you

Stop doing this ------> +

and posting stuff like this

Quote Originally Posted by mathews86 View Post
    O yeah they are u pay for what you git you don't what wal mart arrows do you

LOL

XX78 Super Slam Digital Shafts ~$80/doz., best tolerances you can get, better than high end A/C, carbon or aramid shafts. Maybe, the A/C or full composite arrows are more durable????

Quote Originally Posted by Joe'Bronco View Post
    Stop doing this ------> +

and posting stuff like this

LOL
    haha thats what i was thinking

I shoot carbon storms and they are on the cheap side and I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    XX78 Super Slam Digital Shafts ~$80/doz., best tolerances you can get, better than high end A/C, carbon or aramid shafts. Maybe, the A/C or full composite arrows are more durable????
    I have some of the XX78's and they are tough arrows. I have shot carbon and alloy/carbon and I think I am going to shoot the aluminums for hunting as they seem the most accurate for me. I shot XX75's when I was younger and they also worked well for me but I find the XX78's to be more durable.
    I am not sure spending a lot of money on arrows is necessary. Does the average person notice a difference between a .001, .002, or .003 straightness arrow or a +/- 1 or +/- .75 weight tolerance arrow? I don't think so.
    Hoyt Vantage Elite
    Mathews Hyperlite

IMO,better arrows are worth more than better bows nowadays.Most bows,even inexpensive ones get the job done but cheap arrows usually don't,especially when you attach a fixed blade broadhead on the end.

What makes expensive arrows better is spine consistancy.Arrow straightness is over rated,yet it is usually a byproduct of spine consistancy.

I will add though,the Easton Epics are some fine shafts at a very affordable price.
    AT motto,if you can't dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Cheap arrows are wht they are= cheap arrows, but there is such thing as good cheap arrows. I purchased most of my arrows from big box stores and it seemed like i would crack an arrow or bust out a wall almost eveytime i shot. then i bought the cheap Gold Tip arrows, this is where the differences in cheap come into play. the cheap gold tips are awesome. very durable, they fly great and are some really good arrows and you can get a dozen cut and fleched with inserts and nocks for $75. Cant beat that.

the average shooter it makes no difference in my opinion.my .006 hit just the same as my.0025 give me a break 120 for arrows,never again

Will the average archer be able to tell the difference between an $80 and a $120 dozen of arrows - I highly doubt it!

Are $80 a dozen arrows CHEAP - No

Gold Tip XT Hnters should fit the bill nicely and give you everything you need! Would opting for the GT Pro Hunters make you a better archer - Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by heilman181 View Post
    Will the average archer be able to tell the difference between an $80 and a $120 dozen of arrows - I highly doubt it!

Are $80 a dozen arrows CHEAP - No

Gold Tip XT Hnters should fit the bill nicely and give you everything you need! Would opting for the GT Pro Hunters make you a better archer - Nope!
    Just got the GT XT hunters today, I was shooting the Full metal Jackets. Can't tell a lick of difference. I can get twice the amount of arrows for the same price. IMO it's more beneficial to my accuracy to shoot twice as much then to shoot better arrows. In the time in would take me to walk over and get six arrows during a hour practice I could be shooting six more cheaper arrows, muscle memory for my shooting muscle not muscle memory for my legs walking over there, get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfox1 View Post
    IMO,better arrows are worth more than better bows nowadays.Most bows,even inexpensive ones get the job done but cheap arrows usually don't,especially when you attach a fixed blade broadhead on the end.

What makes expensive arrows better is spine consistancy.Arrow straightness is over rated,yet it is usually a byproduct of spine consistancy.

I will add though,the Easton Epics are some fine shafts at a very affordable price.
    Bingo! spine consistency is the most important part of arrow selection. That's why I shoot ACC's. Probably more than you want to spend...Epics are good arrows. Good luck!

TEXAS

As most have said already probably not much noticed difference unless your an award winning target shooter.

Myself, I shoot the cheap arrows to practice with, but I have a set of FMJ's that I hunt with. I simply feel they offer more penetration than the bigger diameter carbons.

I have three to one the number of carbons to FMJ's, and it don't hurt my feeling near as bad to ruin one of them as it does the higher priced ones.

I just ordered two dozen Epic's just for practice and possibly 3D if I can find the time and a place close by.

If your are a world class tournament archer, certainly worth the price difference. If you are like most of us pretty good weekend archers that simply dream about being world class, then not worth the extra money. In other words, don't pay for more quality than you can put to a realistic advantage.

+1 on epics

First lets make it clear, I am not a good shot. I have been shooting Gold tip Hunter and C2 Carbon Epics since I got back into archery in 2002. The highest score I have ever shot on a 14 Field, 14 Hunter round is 486. This year I bought a dozen ACC's. I shot my first 20 on the 30 yd target with them. This weekend I shot a 476 with my sight marks not being exactly right from 40 to 80 yds, having to figure it out as I went along. And not practicing the week before the tournament. They are definitely worth it to me.

Robert
    May all of your arrows find the BULL'S EYE--MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member / TSRA Life Member / NFAA Member
    Scepter IV Elite w/Fury Cams 65% / 26" AMO Draw
    Golden Key Superstar Rest / Doinker Fatty 33"
    Toxonics 3515 Sight / CR Apex Scope 6X Specialty Lens

hello

If an indian can hit the target with a stick arrow from a tree on horseback, then why do we get so concerned about .006 or .001. Give me a break.

X-Weave STL Hunters great arrows that dont cost a alot, I never spend big money on arrows,Fatboys i always buy used
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.

I have gt pro's a buddy hunter xt's I often wonder why I spent the extra $$.

If money was on the line where 1/2inch at 40yards meant the difference between payday or not I would spend the $$... just for peace of mind. that being said I shoot 3d and hunt I don’t make money doing it. Usually people who spend big bucks on arrows have way bigger problems than the differences arrows can make

Its kind of like a average Joe shooting a GAP, surgeon, etc rifle. They will never outshoot that rifle. They would have been better off saving the money and getting a remy 700 that will still outshoot them. The weak link in shooting is the shooter not the gun or arrow in this case.
    07 guardian GT pro7595 100gr muzzys=I'm looking for a new freezer

Quote Originally Posted by SET THE HOOK View Post
    X-Weave STL Hunters great arrows that dont cost a alot...
    That's all I shoot and I love them. They are fast, strong and can group more accurately at long range than I have the ability to shoot. I could spend lots more for better arrows, but my scores wouldn't go up to compare with the increased cost of premium arrows.

Automan
    He trains my hands for battle so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. Ps. 18:34 (NASB)

Strong is better than cheap. Think what could happen if a cheap arrow breaks on release.

cheap arrows

When new, XX-75 Platinums are as good as most archers shoot(bare shafts about 50 bucks). Small irregularities begin forming and they eventually go downhill. The X-7's still are an industry standard. With that said, I now and have since the were introduced shoot carbon for all outdoor use. The main reasons are they hold straitness specs almost forever and are good untill broken. For indoor targets I have always shot X-7's for their multi shot durability. The main reasons for better arrows are higher scores and or more X's. Not a big number but when you are just a couple of points or X's from perfect it will help.

Items that will affect accuracy more would be proper form and well fitted equiptment, bow tuning, properly setup equiptment(sorry but wisker biscuts and dropaways allthough good for hunting are not the best for target bows), and PRACTICE.You will get more from practicing with average arrows than occaionally shooting with easton or carbon express 150 dallar arrows.

I buy the .006 shafts and cut three inches from one end and two inches from the other of a 32" shaft. Maybe they will come out as a .003

Waddyathink??
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast