a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smackdown by trophy taker, pro/cons

smackdown by trophy taker, pro/cons

im thinking about trying the trophy taker smackdown FC rest. but i havent seen too many reviews. anyone have one and care to give its pros/cons? id like to know what anyone thinks before i drop $130 thanks

Well I taked about one tonight. A guy I know tried to set one up but had nothing but problems with it. According to him, he (like myself) would tie the cord on the string and not attach it to the limb. He couldnt get the cord tight enough and with just a little slack the rest plunger would come up a third of the way.

Theres one at the shop now and I think I might try to install it because I really like TT products and the containment.
    2009 Carbon Fiber Monster 6.7 64lbs 382gr arrow 308 fps

I don't own the smack down, but if it is anything like the other models, then it has to be topnotch. My shakey was extremely easy to set up, is very simple, very well built, no cheap plastic parts, couldn't imagine ever using anything but TT

I have one. Ok, setup is easy and i don't understand how anyone could have issues there. They are simply idiot proof, if I can set it up anyone can. It works just like a limb driver but off the bottom limb or the up cable like the mathews rest. It is rock solid and quiet.

Ok the issue. The top loading version is horrible. The sight gets in the way on some bows trying to drop the arrow into the top slot. I am calling tt today and see if they can send me a rubberized angle loading cage for mine. It that works then I would recommend it to anyone.
    Wabanaki Wilderness 207-853-0949

Authorized Retailer for BOWTECH, DARTON, DIAMOND, ELITE, MATHEWS, MISSION & PSE

Smackdown

Honestly it is very easy to install.

Mine cut the cord from some sharp edges in the attachement to the bottomlimb.

Called TT and they are solving that minor set back, Im just going to file around the edges on the limb attachement for the cord. Might even use steel cable to pull on mine.

Pronghorn still is my favorite TT rest in the fall away.

Spring Steel Launcher for tournament

One thing for sure there tough and simple and thats always a good thing.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Honestly it is very easy to install.

Mine cut the cord from some sharp edges in the attachement to the bottomlimb.

Called TT and they are solving that minor set back, Im just going to file around the edges on the limb attachement for the cord. Might even use steel cable to pull on mine.

Pronghorn still is my favorite TT rest in the fall away.

Spring Steel Launcher for tournament

One thing for sure there tough and simple and thats always a good thing.
    DB

Ya, I had that trouble with the cord as well, they are fixing that issue. I drilled mine larger and put heat shrink over my cord. It is doing fine now.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Kahkon View Post
    Ya, I had that trouble with the cord as well, they are fixing that issue. I drilled mine larger and put heat shrink over my cord. It is doing fine now.
    Im going to hunt with mine this year. Cord stuff is easy fix. Thats a good tip and never thought about heat shrink.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Well I installed one. So far so good. I really like it. I broke down and installed the string on the limbs and lock tighted both set screws so they woulnt back out. I really like it ALOT. Setup was a jiff and it shoots great!
    2009 Carbon Fiber Monster 6.7 64lbs 382gr arrow 308 fps

anyone else got one?

Just asking. Why not just tie to the limb and forget the limb attatchment?
    2010 GT500-Max-1 70/30

Love mine. I'm a big fan of limb driven rests, but don't like forks slamming my shelf like the LD does. The Smackdown alleviates that issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hunting Rig - Hoyt Carbon Element - QAD HDX - HHA DS-XL5519 - Carter Target 3 - Stokerized SS1 - Easton ACC - Slick Trick Magnums

Bowfishing Rig - PSE Tidal Wave - Muzzy XD Reel - TJE Shoot Thru Reel Saver - Whisker Biscuit Bow Fishing Rest - AMS Bowfishing Arrows & Points

I also had the cord issue. TT sent me 2 new cords and basically told me they would do what it takes to get it right. Well mine was as simple as not overtightening it. When the cord was just snugged down it a bit it held well and didn't damage the cord.

I must've gotten a dud then! I put about 300 shots through mine and all of a sudden the launcher arm just snapped in half!! I have no clue what happend!? TT is gonna send me a new one though. It was very easy to set up, just like the Limb Driver! I'm just a little leary of it now but I'll try it a little more before I give up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe Buck View Post
    I must've gotten a dud then! I put about 300 shots through mine and all of a sudden the launcher arm just snapped in half!! I have no clue what happend!? TT is gonna send me a new one though. It was very easy to set up, just like the Limb Driver! I'm just a little leary of it now but I'll try it a little more before I give up on it.
    The axle that was attached to my launcher was scored and they are sending me another one. It was explained to me that they probably had a bad batch of softer metal and the new stuff is fine. At least TT is making it good.

i am wanting one but want to find it used to cut down on the price... i like the idea of lifetime warranty!!!

i am wanting one but want to find it used to cut down on the price... i like the idea of lifetime warranty!!!

TT is always great no matter what. I just bought one today. Set it up and it's awesome.

2013 Mathews Creed, Easton Arrows,Safari Tuff Inc.,Zen Ray Optics
    NRA Life Member

Would you guys recommend the smackdown over the other models TT offers

My favorite is still the Original Arm TT. No clearance issues ever. I always had a little issue with the shakey and pronghorn with clearance but a lot of guys love them. I have no issues with the Smackdown so far at all. You just need to keep an eye on that cord where the screw tightens it down as it have a chance to fray but I hear they are fixing that. Other than that I still think is the best hands down for simplicity and just being bullet proof. Customer service is some of the best out there too.

Scott

NRA Life Member

Has anyone tried getting the rubber cord mount for the LimbDriver and using it with the Smackdown yet? I shoot a LimbDriver but insted of the button to connect the cord to the limb I use the little rubber, stick on piece that the cord runs through then you tie it around the limb...Works great for me.
    I always liked TT rests, the Smackdown looks like a winner.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

I would recommend the smack down over other tt models....

I have a Smackdown on my Hunting bow! No issues to report! I shoot alot of arrows and this rest is great!
    Mathews Bows-Spot-Hogg Sight-Doinker-Trophy Taker Arrowrests-Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release, Nikon Optics

Life's Tough; but it's tougher if you're stupid!--Sgt. John M. Stryker U.S.M.C.

i have shot both and i still think that the limb driver is still the better rest.
    1. it is more adjustable in a variety of ways. spring tension ect..
    2. the new launcher arm works better than the TT because it holds the arrow more securely at rest, or for stalking without the need for an arrow holder on the shelf. it is adjustable for different arrow sizes.
    3. quieter when set up correctly, does not contact the shelf at all or bounce back.
    4. no cord issues, no mechanical issues = more confidence and less hassle in the field
    5. camo versions match perfectly.

i am not brand specific and i think TT makes some really great stuff, but it is hard to reinvent the wheel in this case..... i have been to vapor trails company in minnesota, these are some really great guys who came up with a great and still superior product. simply awesome strings and rests.

the new launcher arm with containment fins makes it a perfect rest.

Are they accurate enough for advanced level 3d?

I would say absolutely.

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast