Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep Sight Question

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  dotman 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I dont know anyone who shoots the whisperlites, but the G5 are really light and always make a good product. I shoot one and like it, but it is a peep, not rocket science.

Also, string leeches, etc. don't rod of much of anything as far as speed goes so I'd keep it simple...

#13 ·
Dotman,

Just out of curiosity, what exactly about the peep makes it the best peep you've ever had? It obviously has differences compared to a more typical peep, and I'm curious from a functional aspect what it provides that other peeps don't, and makes it a better peep. Thanks!

#14 ·
well for the first and most important thing is that is doesnt move!!! this is due to the rubber that its made of. it doesnt need to be tied in, which by the way "tieing in" is the most ineffective way of secureing anything on your bow. come on now do u tie ur front sight on your bow. it lets in more light and silences your bow. oh did i mention that it doesnt move without serving? the peep sight is the rear sight!!! not something that could get ur arrow to go 1-3fps faster. who cares how much it weighs? if u miss because ur peep moved it doesnt matter how fast you arrows going. people kill deer all the time with recurves for gods sake at speed of 200fps and thats a fast one. i hope that i made my point.:wink:

#15 ·
Dotman,

So, in summary, the Whisper Lite peeps are "better" because 1) they don't move or have to be tied in, 2) they dampen the string, and 3) they let in more light. Since none of my peeps have ever moved since I learned how to tie them in properly many years ago, that removes #1 as an advantage (see photo of tied-in peep). I use string dampers in hunting bows, one at each end, located so as not to reduce arrow speed if possible, and would guess that they dampen string vibration/noise at least as well as the Whisper Lite peep, or any peep. As far as letting in more light, the Whisper Lite peeps have an oval-shaped opening, which at full draw approximates a round hole when looking through it. I wouldn't speculate myself as to whether the Whisper Lite "round" hole a shooter is looking through at full draw lets in more light than a more standard round peep of the same size, but would speculate the difference would be minimal, if any. At least that was my own conclusion after trying the Whisper Lite months ago.

#17 ·
peep serving

As afar as serving in a peep and having one move are 2 separate issues. there is only one proper way to serve in a peep which is to physically go around the peep and then "serve" (WHIPPING THE ENDS) with the very long tag ends above and below the peepsight all with the same piece of serving material, this will secure it into the string. if you did want to move it you need to cut the whole thing off and redo it. which is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A#$!! if you are doing it that way than great. most dont. they tie around it than tie below and above it with 3 different pieces which works but not as well as the first method mentioned. since the beginner or the average bowhunter doesnt know how to do either than the self locking one is the better option. And Believe me tying it in seems to be a complete waste of time when there is one on the market that does quite well without it.

as far as it moving? you say that you have never had one move? my answer is that you have never had one move "YET"

IM SURE THAT IF YOU POLL EVERYONE ON THIS WEBSITE IF THEIR PEEP EVER MOVED YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.