Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do deer like potatoes?

do deer like potatoes?

I was just over at my mother-in-law's place and she had about 20 potatoes that were covered in spuds. She was going to throw them out but I told her I'd plant them down near one of my tree stands. They get to be pretty leafy plants and cover a good bit of ground don't they? I figure the deer would like the leaves and might even dig up the potatoes. But then again I'm thinking it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. What say you?

i raised a fawn that absolutely LOVED bannana peals, my vote's for the bannana tree
    09' Bowtech Admiral
    Vaportrail string
    Octane Bantam Weight Quiver
    QAD drop-away ultra rest HDX
    Easton Axis arrows

Hogs love them, but I doubt if deer would dig for them.
    Thoughts entering one's mind need not escape one's mouth!
    As I age my memory fades .... and that's a load off my mind!

We Live In The Land Of The Free, Only Because Of The Brave
    2010 Elite GT500: 50&60lb, HHA DS-5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, VForce HV 400
    Hakuna Matata to all!

I don't know, but I've had several people tell me that they LOVE sweet potatoes! Not sure if they are talking about the leaves or the actual sweet taters!
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by scrapejuice View Post
    I don't know, but I've had several people tell me that they LOVE sweet potatoes! Not sure if they are talking about the leaves or the actual sweet taters!
    I've heard the same thing. Sweet potatoes are supposed to be really good for deer as well but I don't know if that's the potato itself or the leaves.

No

We had some potatoe fields near my house in NC. The deer never touched them - even immediately after harvest when the potatoes that the picker missed were lying around.

the sweet taters. not the leaves the spud. grandpa tells me they have dug them before when he planted them around a buried hay bale. the soil was sandy so it wasn't too much effort for the deer.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Menken
    09 MARTIN WARTHOG 72# 31" wicked1strings

I grow tater they don't touch them but they're gnawing the heck outa my cukes
    maitland zuess 60# 2011
    destroyer 350 70# 2011
    hoyt powertec 90# 2006

ive never seen deer eat potatos, but i sure like to eat deer and potatos myself....
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

deer love them, farmers that grow them in the UP hate what deer do to their crops

Quote Originally Posted by bambieslayer View Post
    I grow tater they don't touch them but they're gnawing the heck outa my cukes
    what the heck is a "cuke"?
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

used to use them for bait 20+ years ago, they loved them

Quote Originally Posted by scrapejuice View Post
    what the heck is a "cuke"?
    Cucumber
    Hoyt Turbohawk @70lbs. Black Risor Camo limbs
    Axcel Armortech 7 pin .019
    QAD rest
    Easton Lightspeed 400s 370gr. 28in.
    315 fps.

We used to Bowhunt Potatoe fields in Northern Ws. near UP Mi. border. Those deer were always in those fields..
    Always Thankful

Man, some people say no way others say they do. I may have to just give it a try to find out by myself. If the deer don't eat it I will dig them up and eat them myself.

spuds

Grow them every year right next to my corn fields and food plots. Deer don't touch them. Lots of hoof tracks but they don't eat the plants or the potatoes.
    2008.5 Elite Z28 with Ripcord rest
    2008 Elite GTO with Rev cams and Ripcord rest
    2007 Diamond Black Ice

Quote Originally Posted by archeryridge View Post
    Man, some people say no way others say they do. I may have to just give it a try to find out by myself. If the deer don't eat it I will dig them up and eat them myself.
    thats the best idea...lots of here say advice, good luck!

'07 Allegiance - Bucknasty - WB - Spot-Hogg - B-Stinger - Trophy Ridge Crush - Flex Fletch Flash - G5 - Wasp - Scott

I think the deer around here mostly eat the leaves/stems but they seem to love them. Probably all depends on what other food sources are in the area.

Lots of potato fields around my area, I have never seen them in the fields eating the plant but when the farms dump the old/unuseable potatoes in the fields after the harvest the deer are there like crazy. We use to bait the deer with potatoes and they loved them, but I havent seen them eat the plant or bother digging them up.
    Renegade TX-5
    Trophy Ridge

spuds

I have some very unusual information on this. My brother in law was a game manager in north central WI. He followed up on a lot of different calls. In one portion of his area they would dig them up and eat them and south of that they never touched the potato fields. It must be learned behavior and once they find how to dig them and that they like them they ate them readily.
    Hoyt Ultratec/NAP 4000
    ASAT/ Slick Tricks
    Truball Short N Sweet
    Opti-Logic

seen them eat potatoes before

Thanks guys, sounds like I got a 50/50 shot. Them are pretty good odds.

Here in Southern Jersey they go nuts for sweet potatoes, they hunt over piles of them every year. In the summer they eat the plant part before they dig them up.

I have hunted in Maine over potatoe fields for bears, but the deer do not touch them there.

I found that if I just layed them out the deer didn't touch them then after a while I sprayed some attractant on them (cmere deer)....they learned they were good couldn't put them out fast enough ----didn't need the attractant ---
    Bowtech Carbon Overdrive
    Bowtech Tribute
    FMJ's,

They will eat the leaves when they get into full bloom and real bushy. We had a garden every summer while I was growing up and I would sit on the back pourch and shoot the deer in the booty with my pellet gun to keep them out of it.

If you have good soil around your hunting area, plant sweet potatos in those areas and they will love them. But its usually hard to find good soil in wooded areas due to the large amount of tree roots. I have plented them in the sides of fields near hunting grounds, also trimming your open property back and leaving a big hanging branch over the open area with the potatos planted under the tree will REALLY draw them to the area.
    08 PSE Dream Season, 31" 65#, Tru-glo Xtream 5 pin sight .019, QAD Pro HD rest, 550gr. Easton FMJ 300's, Rage 125gr. 2 blades, Posten Stabilized, Twisted Archer strings, 276fps
    www.pse-archery.com
    www.jimposten.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast