Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Tail and Beard

Turkey Tail and Beard

Hello,
    Does anyone have plans to make a mounting board with size measurements for a turkey tail and beard? Lets see some of your work.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

Turkey tail and beard

Or does someone sell these mounting boards? I like oak.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

I'll try to get a picture at the house of some I have done. Mine allow you to display a turkey call on the mount as well... can't imagine that from a guy who makes custom turkey calls... : )

Mounting Plaque

Please help me out.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

You can get mounting kits from Cabela's as well

Raymond,

I just use 3/4" finish grade wood from the hardware store and beat them with a chain to make it look worn, and then stain them and sand the edges to give it a weathered look. Not sure of the exact measurements, but I leave room on the bottom to add a couple pictures from the hunt. I tack the tail fan (black u-nails and tacks) and then hang the beard centered below the fan and cover with black felt. Spurs I'll cut from leg, cure, and hang on a leather rope ran through the leg bone. I'm working on the bird I got this spring, but here is a jake I did last year (I didn't beat this board with a chain and no spurs on this one).

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

shoot often, hunt safe, have fun

Heres mine made out of scraps,clothes pins and Gorilla Glue. Not a big bird, but my first. Wish the wall was not so red.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HELI M 28.5/70
    309 GRAIN MAXIMA HUNTERS
    100 GRAIN GRIM REAPER WHITAIL SPECIALS
    APEX GEAR GAME CHANGER
    QAD HDX

Here is my version. The mount allows you to display a call (call that brought the bird in) as well as the beard (hanging from shell base that killed the bird... I know, I'm still working on my first archery turkey) and the spurs.

Don't let that middle one fool you... it ain't no jake! Check out the beard... 11 1/2"! This was a bird I took in MO 3 years ago. He needs a little grooming.

My problem is how are these mounting plaques made so that I can mount it. The size of the boards and stuff like that. For example, is there any grooves in the boards and such. If someone has a set that they could show me the front and back and a side view of the mounting boards before they are used, that would help me see how to make a set for myself. If that explains it for you, I hope that will clarify things up.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

Long Beard

How much did that bird weigh? That is a long beard.
    Raymond

Some have grooves. Some are just stepped out.

If you look close you will see the beard plaque is against the wall and the fan plaque is fixed to the top of the beard plaque. That gives you a hidden ridge ans set back to screw the tail to the back. The wall mounting hardware can be positioned at the top back of the beard plaque portion.

Now some use dowels some do not to add a cradle to the back to support fan and to help keep off the wall. But its really not needed.

Mounting Plaque

Thanks, for the explanation it makes alot of sense now. Now I understand how they are made.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

I will get pics up of mine. I made the wood holders myself, stained them and used a wood buring tool to put in different things like turkey foot, dates birds were killed. I love the one on here that is shaped like an arrow head great idea.
    Tag It, Bag It, Eat It that's what i say

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond 1 View Post
    How much did that bird weigh? That is a long beard.
    Raymond
    The one in the middle was just over 21 lbs. The beard was 11 1/2". I topped that one this year in KS. The bird had a double beard, one was a 12" paintbrush, the other an 8 1/2" wavy secondary beard. This bird weighed in at just over 23 1/2 lbs and was taken a month into the season.

Awesome, I presume that is a turkey call laying on the bird. I am new at this game, how does it work? I am going on my first turkey hunt next spring.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

Athens Archery

Quote Originally Posted by sjb3 View Post

That looks awesome. I'm guessing they removed all bones from the wing feathers and spaced and tacked them on the backside of the plaque...?

Great idea and mount. It looks like they sanded down the leg bone section attached to the spurs to give them a smooth look as well.

I like the arrow head plaque and wood burning tool imprint idea.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycallmaker View Post

Here is my version. The mount allows you to display a call (call that brought the bird in) as well as the beard (hanging from shell base that killed the bird... I know, I'm still working on my first archery turkey) and the spurs.

Don't let that middle one fool you... it ain't no jake! Check out the beard... 11 1/2"! This was a bird I took in MO 3 years ago. He needs a little grooming.
    That's crazy - tail feathers say jake, beard says mature bird...?

I like how you have the beard and spurs displayed on these plaques and I guess if you're a call maker you can readily retire a nice pot call after killing a turk with it. ha.

I think there were 8 feathers taller than the rest of the fan on that bird as opposed to the standard 4-6 on a jake. He had a line across his beard that was kind of a rust color... don't know if it was beard rot beginning or what.
    I do have the convenience of retiring a call after killing a bird with it. The one on the far right was my first bird, killed in OK. The call was the one I used on that hunt. The middle fan was from a MO bird. That call was used to bring in a bird in OK, but didn't make it to the MO hunt. The fan on the left (and in the closeup) was taken in OK. The call on that plaque was actually just one that was laying around the house, but wasn't involved in that hunt. I have 4 fans in the freezer from this year, 3 of those I caped out for full cape mounts. I'll try to get a picture of my daughter's caped mount from last year. It is awesome (in my opinion). The double bearded bird in the picture above is in Topeka, KS at the taxidermist. He is going to be mounted in a gobbling on the limb position that will hopefully show the 2 beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond 1 View Post
    Awesome, I presume that is a turkey call laying on the bird. I am new at this game, how does it work? I am going on my first turkey hunt next spring.
    Thanks,
    Raymond
    That is a turkey call. It is made of sassafras with a glass surface and soundboard. The call is held in your "off" hand (left hand for me since I am right handed). You use a striker (turned wooden peg) "run" across the surface to produce the sounds of a hen turkey to call the gobbler to you. The principle is similar to producing sound by scratching your fingers on a chalkboard, but the sound is MUCH different. This style of call (pot call) is my personal favorite to use, and to make.

Feel free to check out my site:
    http://www.lightsoutcalls.com

Hey turkeycallmaker,
    That should be an awesome turkey mount. I hope we get to see that bird mounted.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

Here is one of mine that i did.

IMG00066.jpg
    Tag It, Bag It, Eat It that's what i say

Mount

That is a nice mount also. Good job B. Hunt.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

Looks awesome. I like the wood and the stamp and how ya got it all configured.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Hunt View Post
    Here is one of mine that i did.

IMG00066.jpg

These aren't my pics, got them off an ebay guy selling these mounts. Thought some of you might like the idea.

peace.
    unloaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast