Thread: Batteries for Trail Cameras

Batteries for Trail Cameras

I own a few trail cameras from Cuddeback and Moultie. Both use D size batteries. I have primarily used Duracells but I recently purchased two Cuddeback Capture IR's and they recommended Rayovac Alkaline. What name brand NON rechargable batteries have you all used and been the most pleased with as far as battery life?

'07 LH Mathew's Switchback XT, WB rest, HHA OL-5519 sight
    '10 LH Mathew's Z7, WB rest, Spott Hogg Hogg-It Hunter sight
    Rage Broadheads
    Tru-Fire Releases
    Swarovski SLC 8x42HD Field Glasses

I use the rayovac batteries in both my cuddiebacks and the moultrie cameras that I own just because that is what my local supply store sells I have used energizer and duracell in both and you won't know the difference I personally can't tell if one has better battery life than the other I wouldn't go out of my way to get a paticular battery I am thinking about getting them solar panels for my moultrie it seems like no matter what battery i use it eats them right up.

Rayavoc seem to last the longest in my Moultrie but once it gets cold outside none last very long. I to am looking at the solar side of it. But have read several bad reviews about them.
    Hoyt Turbohawk @70lbs. Black Risor Camo limbs
    Axcel Armortech 7 pin .019
    QAD rest
    Easton Lightspeed 400s 370gr. 28in.
    315 fps.

Look at Walgreen alkaline batteries....Consumer reports shows that they performed very well overall and had a much better price point. They will do buy one get one free deals on batteries every now and then.

Energizer

I've had good luck with Energizers in my Cuddeback.

rechargeables are cheap on ebay. i just bought 10 d's shipped to the house for $30. the charger awhile ago i think cost $20. they more than pay for themselves in one season.
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

Not sure if your camera's have an external battery connection (I know some don't), but if it does, get an external sealed battery and hook it up. You'll thank me later.
    Mathews DXT
    28"-70lb
    100gr Muzzy 4 blade

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    rechargeables are cheap on ebay. i just bought 10 d's shipped to the house for $30. the charger awhile ago i think cost $20. they more than pay for themselves in one season.
    The issue with rechargeables is they usually only produce 1.2 volts whereas an alkaline starts out around 1.6 volts. If you using 4 or 6 then that's 4.8 or 7.2 volts versus 6.4 or 9.6. My Moultrie takes 6 D batteries and wouldn't work using just rechargeables. However, the Moultrie solar pack is designed to work with rechargeables so I don't know if it generates a bit more voltage or not?

When I had my Bushnell the sucked down 4 D batteries like a soda, I modified the hookup shown on chasinggame.com to use a 14amp 6 volt battery. I wound up getting two with a charger so I could just switch them out every couple of weeks during the winter - worked great.
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

I have good luck with the cheap Fuji batteries. They seem to last just as long as the Duracells, but are cheaper.