Archery Talk Forum banner

Batteries for Trail Cameras

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  alpine5575 
#1 ·
I own a few trail cameras from Cuddeback and Moultie. Both use D size batteries. I have primarily used Duracells but I recently purchased two Cuddeback Capture IR's and they recommended Rayovac Alkaline. What name brand NON rechargable batteries have you all used and been the most pleased with as far as battery life?

#2 ·
I use the rayovac batteries in both my cuddiebacks and the moultrie cameras that I own just because that is what my local supply store sells I have used energizer and duracell in both and you won't know the difference I personally can't tell if one has better battery life than the other I wouldn't go out of my way to get a paticular battery I am thinking about getting them solar panels for my moultrie it seems like no matter what battery i use it eats them right up.

#3 ·
Rayavoc seem to last the longest in my Moultrie but once it gets cold outside none last very long. I to am looking at the solar side of it. But have read several bad reviews about them.

#8 ·
The issue with rechargeables is they usually only produce 1.2 volts whereas an alkaline starts out around 1.6 volts. If you using 4 or 6 then that's 4.8 or 7.2 volts versus 6.4 or 9.6. My Moultrie takes 6 D batteries and wouldn't work using just rechargeables. However, the Moultrie solar pack is designed to work with rechargeables so I don't know if it generates a bit more voltage or not?

When I had my Bushnell the sucked down 4 D batteries like a soda, I modified the hookup shown on chasinggame.com to use a 14amp 6 volt battery. I wound up getting two with a charger so I could just switch them out every couple of weeks during the winter - worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.