a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does your nose have to touch the string

does your nose have to touch the string

when i shoot my bow im comfortable shoot with my chin touching the fletching and the corner of my mouth touching the end of the center serving . and my nose is about about an inch away from the string. and im comfortable but what i want to know is should i have my nose touching the string and whats the best way to do so; move my head closer or increase my draw length

Quote Originally Posted by cheifredman View Post
    when i shoot my bow im comfortable shoot with my chin touching the fletching and the corner of my mouth touching the end of the center serving . and my nose is about about an inch away from the string. and im comfortable but what i want to know is should i have my nose touching the string and whats the best way to do so; move my head closer or increase my draw length
    I am sure there will be plenty of people here disagree with me, but as long as you can get the same anchor point every time, it doesnt matter if your nose is touching the string. Your main focus should be what works best for you. Do whatever it is you need to to be able to execute each shot perfectly. If you can anchor in the same place every time, and shoot well the way you are, dont change.
    Just my .02

not necessary.

A good coach once told me the key to any shooting is doing the exact same thing every time. Some things help with that, but if you are consistant every shot then its good. With today's shorter bows nose contact can cause other issues anyways.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGEL View Post
    I am sure there will be plenty of people here disagree with me, but as long as you can get the same ancor point every time, it doesnt matter if your nose is touching the string. Your main focus should be what works best for you. Do whatever it is you need to to be able to execute each shot perfectly. If you can ancor in the same place every time, and shoot well the way you are, dont change.
    Just my .02
    i wont disagree,, as long as its the same and your ok with your accuracy no reason to change

i would say u dont "have" to do anything , as long as ur comfortable and consistant thats all that matters

my accuracy could be better 2" at 20yds probably 5" at 40yds but im ok with it, but if my nose touching would help with my alignment thus accuracy then im all for change.

If you can get the string to your nose with correct draw length and form, go for it!

Helpful? Yes. Necessary? No.

You need as many anchor points as possible. But if it has been working for you with the anchors points you have, don't change it. Not everyone will have the same anchor points as everyone else. Some have 3 anchors and some only have 2. The more anchors you have, the better.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

I myself go out of my way to touch my nose to the string. With my maxxis 31 it has a very dramatic angle which makes it tough for me to touch my nose.

I feel that i have a floating anchor if I don't touch my nose, even with my anchor being fixed right at the edge of my mandibular arch. By touching my nose i am very confident that i am not looking around my sight either.

I think if you want to tighten your goups give it a few days of trying to touch your nose, and just see if it helps. Can't hurt right!
    There are very few problems that can't be solved with High Explosives.

I do. It helps me be more consistent.

Mine dosen't and I shoot just fine ..
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

The string touching the nose is an easy anchor point- I was always taught that you should have at least 3. The pin/peep, your hand touching your face, and the string touching your nose are the typical ones. Only 2 points will leave room for error, but 3 will keep you in line. If the string doesn't reach your nose then you could have it touch some other part of your face. Otherwise you will need to find a third point to keep your form consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by cheifredman View Post
    No you dont need it to touch but assuming your dl is correct and assuming your not leaning your head back, you dont change proper form (assuming thats what you have) or right dl(assuming its right). Play with peep height and sight height. If that doesnt work Id leave it. Hard to say with out pics.

Today's shorter bows require archers to have longer noses to make this work. I know a good plastic surgeon . . . . .

I'd say go with what makes you comfortable. My shooting is 3 point, kisser in corner of mouth, nose on string, and thumb from release hand on my ear.
    "when going dutch on a date, remember you get what you pay for" / "stay thirsty my friends"
    harrosturkeycalls.com

Look through any magazine (Like Tournament Archer) or Bow Company catalogs that feature photos of their top pros. In every single photo you will see two things.

1. The bowstring at full draw crosses the corner of the mouth.

2. The bow string touches the tip of the nose.

Also...#3 the arrow nock is usualy just under the archers eye.

Draw your own conclusions....

I touch my nose to my string, because that is what I am comfortable with. However, you don't have to, if you can be consistent without it. If you can do it the same way every time, then go for it.

Here is a video of a Russian woman who shoots without her nose on the string (she is wearing read). This video is of her winning the gold medal for the 2009 Outdoor World Championships. If she can win that without touching the nose to the string, you don't have to either- as long as you are consistent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTLRWibu1M

Here is another of her, but she is shooting in the team rounds, also winning gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4e4FW8x3MM

As stated it may not have to touch but for me when I played with my draw length enough to where it felt the best my nose was touching the string, which I never worried about before, and my shooting improved considerably.

does your nose have to touch the string

Hoyt has a one armed staff shooter. Chew strap used to shoot. Impossible for him to touch his nose to the string, but he shoots awfully good.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

A lot of people that get there string to touch there nose are shooting a way to long draw but with right form touching your noise with your string but also to your corner of your mouth

When I first started shooting a bow I noticed the string would touch my nose. I never even knew at the time it was supposed to. I remember thinking that it helped me line everything up and it just sort of fell in place there anyway. Now I know it is supposed to. It would seem to touch or almost touch if you were holding it correctly but like mentioned earlier if you shoot good I would not go out of my way to make it happen. Let someone in the know look at your form and see if everything looks right. Maybe you're trying to look more with your left eye and it is pulling your head towards the right? Are you left eye dominant perhaps? Just a thought?
    Mathews DXT;

Elite Z28

My nose can't touch my string. 30" DL and short ATA bow. I'd have to contort in some way to get it to happen.

If you want to shoot a bow with optimum accuracy and arent afraid to go over 35" ata to accomplish proper form, then yeah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast