Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HomeMade Archery Target

I made mine out of 2x10. It is 48"x48". I used an old blue tarp and stuffed it with old clothes and it works great. I will try to post pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WCork View Post
    Completed my lifetime target and thought Id share it with you. Absolutely love it; however I am getting some pretty deep penetration on some of my shots as you can see in the pictures. Ive got it packed pretty tight with carpet padding but it looks like im gonna need to pack it tighter. If anyones got any ideas let me know. Thanks, hope you like it. I probably spent about $40.00 in supplies and it took me about 6 hours or so, but I am far from a handy man.
    It looks like you just have it stuffed in there. You need to be able to compress the filler and you will get much better arrow stopping power. Look at the design the OP used which allows you to use a ratchet strap on each side to compress the filling.
    Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.

Here's a pic of mine to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about:

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by rivershark View Post
    ok, the problem i have with these is the wire. thats got to cause some type of damage on aluminum arrows
    Ok, in the other DIY Lifetime archery target like the one the OP built. That was the number one issue there. And everyone who has built one of these will tell you that the chicken wire will not damage your arrows. That was debated on that thread for a while and everyone who has built one will tell you that chicken wire will not harm or effect your arrows.

You can also get shrink wrap at any stores. All the pallets that they unwrap from their pallets that come off the truck is shrink wrap. The shrink wrap helps prevent the pallets from coming apart or tipping over.

I however dislike using shrink wrap due to the fact that shooting arrows into a target generated a lot of heat which can melt the shrink wrap and stick to your arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by rivershark View Post
    ok, the problem i have with these is the wire. thats got to cause some type of damage on aluminum arrows

If you don't mind having a target that isn't a perfect square just skip the wire all together. I just stuffed a feed sack full of old clothes and tied the top off with some twine, it works like a charm. Took me about 10 minutes to make and it stops my arrows dead. It doesn't look pretty but quite frankly I don't care as it's just an arrow stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by IA Monsterbuck View Post
    It looks like you just have it stuffed in there. You need to be able to compress the filler and you will get much better arrow stopping power. Look at the design the OP used which allows you to use a ratchet strap on each side to compress the filling.
    Thanks. I've got some ratchet straps but could you explain how you used them on your target. I think your right, if I just had something compressing my filling it wouldn't have any problems stopping the arrows. If you could give me more info on how to go about doing that i would appreciate it. I wasn't sure what you meant by the OP.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31 w/RKT's *APG*
    '13 Obsession Knightmare

Completed my lifetime target and thought Id share it with you. Absolutely love it; however I am getting some pretty deep penetration on some of my shots as you can see in the pictures. Ive got it packed pretty tight with carpet padding but it looks like im gonna need to pack it tighter. If anyones got any ideas let me know. Thanks, hope you like it. I probably spent about $40.00 in supplies and it took me about 6 hours or so, but I am far from a handy man.
    I would reccomend getting a few pieces of carpet the size of the face of your target and putting them inside the target directly perpendicular to the arrows. In other words make a face about 4 or 5 pieces of carpet thick. Then pack in behind it.
    2009 Bowtech Sniper

Living the Dream!

I have a bunch of softball field backstop/soccer goal netting-type stuff that would be ideal as a substitute for the chicken wire. I use it for camo netting and stick various branches and weedy stalks in it. When my layered carpet target wears out, I'll try this type.

at our club we use a nylon type mesh instead of chickenwire and we found a place in grand junction co. that makes sleeping bags,we use thier scrapes to fill the targets with then use a heavy duty black shrink wrap to wrap it all together inside the 2x4 frame about 18'' deep and never a pass through

Chicken wire not a problem with any of my Arrow

Chicken wire is OK!!!!!!!...I keep hearing this come-up and it is simply not a problem. The chicken wire is very soft and will not and has not damaged my big 27 LineJammers or the much smaller diameter X10s or nano xr's that I have shot into my targets. Everyone whom has tried these has found that this is the case...no arrow damage. You will probably have more issues with some of the plastic not holding up well than with the chicken wire.

Nice work.

I built one similar. I used 6mil plastic sheeting, but it doesn't stop the arrows good enough. Thankfully I have carpet on the back of mine so when it goes threw the plastic the carpet grabs the arrow before it goes all the way threw. Though not ideal.

I don't know why mine doesn't work so well... Hopefully your shrink wrap will work better for you..

-Masta
    2009 Martin Bone Hunter (Cheetah) - DW: 60lbs / DL: 28"
    - Cloaked STS & CCS Package
    - Doinker CS5 4.75” Chubby Hunter Stabilizer (6.3oz)
    - RipCord Code Red Arrow Rest
    - Apex Gear Atomic 3-Pin (.029) Sight

Thanks. I've got some ratchet straps but could you explain how you used them on your target. I think your right, if I just had something compressing my filling it wouldn't have any problems stopping the arrows. If you could give me more info on how to go about doing that i would appreciate it. I wasn't sure what you meant by the OP.
    OP = Original Poster

Cut a slot in your sides and run a bord through it. Attach the board to the top of a piece of plywood close to the depth of your target. Look at the pic I posted, it's pretty self explanatory.

Another look:

PM me if you still don't understand.

PM = Private Message

Quote Originally Posted by MastaMarksman View Post
    Nice work.

I built one similar. I used 6mil plastic sheeting, but it doesn't stop the arrows good enough. Thankfully I have carpet on the back of mine so when it goes threw the plastic the carpet grabs the arrow before it goes all the way threw. Though not ideal.

I don't know why mine doesn't work so well... Hopefully your shrink wrap will work better for you..

-Masta
    The shrink wrap works flawless. my arrows only go in a few inches. For those of you who want an idea of where to go for the shrink wrap try harbor freight or pet smart. They throw it out and are happy to give it away as long as you tell them you are using it for a home project.

$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by archeryguru View Post
    roughly $150 ish. I am getting the wrap for free. Would be cheaper if I didnt have to use treated lumber but this is going to be outside all the time.
    where are you buying your lumber at??
    X RING 1

Anyone here who heats with a pellet stove??? If so, don't throw away those heavy plastic bags that your pellets come in. I saved mine all winter, and they work great for stopping arrows!!
    Mathews Standard
    Mathews Conquest
    Mathews Q2XL

what size of mesh are you using? 1" or 2"?
    I was thinking about stainless steel chicken wires but they only have 1" mesh available, which looks too dense IMO.

Does galvenized ones stand well against rust?

Quote Originally Posted by archeryguru View Post
    The shrink wrap works flawless. my arrows only go in a few inches. For those of you who want an idea of where to go for the shrink wrap try harbor freight or pet smart. They throw it out and are happy to give it away as long as you tell them you are using it for a home project.

How tight did you stuff the strech wrap? I assume you just balled up the strech wrap in tons of tight balls?

I just found a place I can buy 18"x1500' rolls of strech wrap for $17.50.

I figure 2 1500' rolls should be able to fill a 5'x5'x12" box.

Thanks,

-Masta
    2009 Martin Bone Hunter (Cheetah) - DW: 60lbs / DL: 28"
    - Cloaked STS & CCS Package
    - Doinker CS5 4.75” Chubby Hunter Stabilizer (6.3oz)
    - RipCord Code Red Arrow Rest
    - Apex Gear Atomic 3-Pin (.029) Sight

been pounding the target day after day. I did hit a soft spot and it went in a little deep. I think its because I pounded the area again and again at a close distance and ended up pushing some of the shrink wrap back. I turn the target around and shot the same spot on the other side and arrow only went in a few inches. This one is gonna last a lifetime. You can shoot all over it then stuff it with more wrap and compress. I may consider taking the wrap out and restuff it.

I want to thank everyone for the information on this and related threads. I'm a soldier stationed overseas (been lurking for a LONG time). I just built a lifetime target for myself and others over here to use. It turned out very good, thanks again for the inspiration.

my target

here is mine. been shooting for about 2 months with no arrow damage. its 2''x12''x48''. i stuffed it with about 200 lbs of old clothes. i had it packed where my arrows only went in about 2'' but my daughters arrows would bounce off. so i repacked it and now my arrows go in about 4'' and she can shoot it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice, great size also. I also like MW avatar.
    "AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL" http://midwestwhitetail.com/ "The Semi-live Hunting Show"

sweet

I built a similar target with regular, cheap galvanized chicken wire and it works well. From what I observed from some other threads is the folks that have the problems with chicken wire are some of the same ones that also said they stretched the wire very tight. I think you need to keep the chicken wire somewhat loose so that it's forgiving. Also the stainless steel wire is probably too rigid and unforgiving.

The thing that did cause me problems was shrink wrap. My target is stuffed with mostly clothes but it has a vein of shrink wrap. It stops the arrows fine but removal is tough. Once it pulled the insert right out of the arrow tip.

Quote Originally Posted by kickercoach1285 View Post
    very nice, great size also. I also like MW avatar.
    Thanks...Midwest Whitetail is the best hunting show by far! As for the target I put in a layer of carpet on each side of the face of the target to help decrease penetration and its working perfectly!
    Hoyt Maxxis 31 w/RKT's *APG*
    '13 Obsession Knightmare

Material?

What are the target-sides of the box made of?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast