Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Loop knot

D Loop knot

I have read posts of D loops slipping and one had done this to me also. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the constrictor hitch for tying a D loop. It would seem like a natural knot for a D loop. For anyone that doesn't know, it's almost impossible to untie one after it's tight and the harder you pull on it, the tighter it gets, thus the name constrictor. Here is a picture of one. The one on the left is a regular constrictor and the one on the right is a double constrictor. As you can see you can still fluff the end and burn it just like a normal D Loop.

Anyone ever try this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would think it would work.....try it out and let all of AT now.
    EVO / Vendetta XL

PSE / Xtreme Stabilization / Hawke Optics / Extreme Bow Strings / Truball / Bohning Archery / JBI - U-Slide Bow Holder

knot

i just put a loop on my bow today if i knew how to tie that i would try it although i have never had a loop come loose looks like it would take a little more loop material but if it is better it would be worth it
    2013 bowtech experience
    2014 prime impact

It is very easy to tie too. When mine starts looking weak, I'm going to try it. If you look at it the picture, imagine the ball trying to slip through it, not going to happen!

I really do not see how a loop could slip up or down the string unless it was never tightened down. Even then it should only turn and not slip. Most of the time when one moves it is because the serving moves under the loop.
    PASSTHRU ARCHERY - 828-273-2815
    Obsession /Athens / Xpedition Dealer
    Custom Bow Tuning
    Facebook.com/PassthruArcheryAshvl

Completepassthru, maybe I didn't word it right, I don't mean turning on the string, I mean the melted ball end slipping through. Just read all the posts on how to tie a indestructable D loop. Someone must be having problems. The only reason I posted this was because no matter if someone loves the regular D loop knot, or not(sorry for that), the constrictor is a superior knot.

Just info

Thanks for the info, its a great knot

On the lighter side, I would have really loved to have had video footage of my son last week. He decided the his GI Joe needed my serving thread to go "mountain climbing" in the man cave. Him and GI Joe invented some new knots that i'm pretty sure noone has ever tried before.

Absolutly Priceless!

Personally, I'm completely ******ed when it comes to tying anything besides a square knot. Every time- EVERY TIME- I tie a d-loop, I have to stare at an illustration of how to do it. I just cannot seem to visualize how that damn thing should be tied! Anyone else out there so "knot-challenged"? I guess that part of my brain didn't develop as I grew up.
    Hoyt Vectrix

I'm going to give that knot a try....

that constrictor knot lookd pretty cool...never had a problem with the normal way...but always want to try something different....I'm going to put new strings on a Constitution this weekend sometime.. I will try it out and post up how it goes....
    BOWHUNTIN' RULEZ'

08 Bowtech Constitution
    "Frankenbow" Darton Cyclone with Elite K8 cams
    '11 Strother Inspire

Could you post pics on how to tie it? That would be great. Thanks.
    NBA Eclipse 70# @ 33.5"/Black Eagle Rampages w FF Vanes/Exodus/Black Gold Ascent/Axion Pulse
    PSE Freak 64# @ 33.5"/Black Eagle Carnivores/Grave Digger/BG Ascent/Axion Pulse
    Thunderhorn Longbow 64# @ 32"/ Arrow Dynamic Trad Arrows
    John's Custom Strings

Cool knot. Haven't seen it before. I may try it. But I don't know why I should, other than curiosity's sake, since I've never had a single loop failure anyway. When they do it's because of installer error or burrs on a release (with the archer not checking/replacing it when needed). Considering that, I'd say ANY D-loop will still fail under those circumstances, regardless of the knots used. If they aren't installed properly then they fail, right?
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Try this site for any knot you want to try.
    www.Animatedknots.com

knot

there are a few videos on youytube that shows you how to tie a constrictor knot i played around last night with an old string and some loop material and i think it will work i did not burn the ends and once i tightened it down it would not come loose i beleive i may try it next time i need a new loop
    2013 bowtech experience
    2014 prime impact

Looks like a great knot - worth looking into further.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/constrictor/index.php
    Thanks for posting.
    Thoughts entering one's mind need not escape one's mouth!
    As I age my memory fades .... and that's a load off my mind!

We Live In The Land Of The Free, Only Because Of The Brave
    2010 Elite GT500: 50&60lb, HHA DS-5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, VForce HV 400
    Hakuna Matata to all!

Wikipedia has a good illustration of how to tie the knot: Constrictor Knot

I guess I should have posted the instructions on how to tie it, but there are a lot of sites on line that show you. I worked as a boat mechanic for many years and being around boats you learn to tie knots!

After reading the indestructable d loop threads, I remembered this knot and thought it would be perfect for a d loop.

Joe

Stay Thirsty my friend

I think I will give it a go next d loop I need done.
    NBA 09' Genetix Black NBA '12 Eclipse Black riser Optifade Forest limbs NBA '13 Genetix Black
    newbreedarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCON3 View Post
    Try this site for any knot you want to try.
    www.Animatedknots.com
    Good site. What's the traditional d-loop knot called?
    Hoyt Vectrix

That is a great knot. Once that is cinched down and the end burned, it won't ever move.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

I'm a tinkermaniac

But, as I age (and I've done a LOT of that) I keep re-learning that things are the way they are for a reason. Usually, that reason only becomes clear to me after I have re-invented the wheel.

Looks like a good knot. Let us know.

Best of luck to you.

I just tried it and it works great. It's much easier to get your knots tight and the loop the right length. My loop material always seemed to slip before tightening when tying loops the old way, which made it hard to get the correct length. I did tie the constrictor knot on opposite sides of the string as per the old way. Took all of 2 min., I'm sold!!
    2009 Hoyt AM 32 Black Out - SOLD
    60lb APA King Cobra lefty

Glad to hear it worked out.

Joe

Stay Thirsty My Friend

How abou some pic's?.................
    Alpine Tetone Lite #62/ 28 DL / GoldTip / ACAD Stabs
    K.I.S.S Keep it Simple Stupid

Might have to try it, thank for the info, and yes I have had a D loop slip and it just about knock me out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast