a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: how long should i cut my arrows

how long should i cut my arrows

i for some reason after i bought my beaman 340 ics hunter's left them at their full length. which is 32 inches i believe. if i want to cut them down for a 28.5 inch draw length how long should i cut them. i really think their affecting my arrow flight cause i can see my arrow wobbling during flight.

To detrmine the proper cut-off length, I would want to know your bow type and spec.'s, weight you are pulling, draw length etc. so the spine can optimized. I'd also want to know minimum length to clear your rest.

The proper spine changes dramatically with shaft length which is probably why they are not flying well at 32".

i shoot an alien x at 70# and 28"dl but i might bump it up to 28.5"

The arrow should be atleast 350 grains. With these arrrows it should not be a problem. I would cut them about 1/2" - 1" from your rest.

Like what has been already said, spine is of major concern. I cut all my arrows not to my liking but to my set up's liking.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

i have a whisker bisquit and i dont really have the means to measure how much i should cut off. so what im asking is with a whisker biscuit on an alien x with a 28.5 dl whats a safe guess on how long i should cut my arrows.

i have an Alien also with a biscuit..my biscuit is up close to my riser, within a 1/4 in.
    I have a 30 in. draw, and can safely shoot a 28.5 in. arrow with an inch hanging past.
    With that being said, i shoot a 29 in. arrow for spine purposes.
    So i guess the answer is 1 and 1/2 in. under your draw length.

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    i have an Alien also with a biscuit..my biscuit is up close to my riser, within a 1/4 in.
    I have a 30 in. draw, and can safely shoot a 28.5 in. arrow with an inch hanging past.
    With that being said, i shoot a 29 in. arrow for spine purposes.
    So i guess the answer is 1 and 1/2 in. under your draw length.
    thanks i probably shouldve put all my bow specs in my first post and this wouldve been easier.

Putting your setup on Archers Advantage I show you should have a cut-off of 26.5 inches (defined as from raw end of graphite shaft to cut-off of graphite shaft) assuming you are shooting a 28.5" drawlength and 100 grain points with an insert and 2" Blazers. Yes all of this makes a difference. I think 26.5" should give you adequate clearance as long as you don't point your fingers in front of your risers like I have seen some do.

I show a finished arrow wgt. of 416 grains, speed of 301 fps, and foc of 9.6%.

At 32" I show you would have been way past a weak spine which explains your arrow flight. Let me know if you have additional questions. This same shaft is even closer to optimum spine at 28" draw length.