a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Bow Butts

Pacific Bow Butts

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with these things at all? Our club used them to build a 14 target field course last fall. (Wilmington, Ohio) We've only held a handful of orginized shoots and had a group of 3-6 of us shooting the course 1x a week so far this year and we are getting complete pass throughs on a couple of the targets and are sinking up to the fletch on several others.

We've tried moving the target faces around, but it doesnt really seem to matter where on the target butt you shoot, the arrows are burying themselves.

Any suggestions on how to make these last longer or a cheap alternative?

Wow thats not what I was hoping to hear at all, I almost dropped cash on enough to re-establish a field round on a course I'm trying to get cleaned up.

Do they need to be kept wet in order for them to swell up as some butts do?

I was just looking at these huge bag targets today at Sportsman's
    warehouse they were $60 each and appeared that they would make real good targets for a field round if you took care and built sheds for them etc

Our findings.

We ordered a complete course of PBB about four years ago ad they lasted us two seasons. We ordered another complete course last year and they lasted about 4 months with the same amount of use. Pass throughs in no time. I am not sure what the deal is, but they are not the same quality as the first batch. Keeping them wet does not appear to be a factor.

We have recently switched to making the "eternity targets" as described in the DIY section, and they are working great. In order to simplify the installation, we made them using 3/4" plywood for the sides and 2x4's on the top and bottom. We then wrapped them with trampoline fabric and they are working great.

Two years ago I would have recommended PBB, but not anymore. In addition to the quality, communication with PBB has been difficult at best and what I would consider non-responsive at the worst.

Martin Martin
    Flagstaff Archers - AZ

watching this one.
    "When I sent you out barefoot without purse or pack, were you ever short of anything? It is different now, whoever has a purse had better take it with him, and his pack too; and if he has no sword, let him sell his cloak to buy one."

Luke 22:35-37

Quote Originally Posted by Indianbullet View Post
    Do they need to be kept wet in order for them to swell up as some butts do?
    I guess the excelsior targets actually benefit from a little moisture because it causes the fibers to swell which makes the butts even tighter. These PBB's are made from compressed straw and moisture appears to have the opposite effect. Some of the arrows that are passing thru come out coated in a brown slime, as if the bales are rotting inside. We could take additional steps to help them stay dry, but keeping them totally out of the weather is a near impossible task for an outdoor target.

I'm not convinced that our issues are completely related to moisture though, because we still get pass thrus when the bales dry out and some of the arrows come out with dry straw pieces stuck to the shaft.

These targets stopped arrows and pulled like iron on day one last fall. Less than a year later they're more like shooting into a feather pillow.

My personal one lasted six years.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Mine had arrows buried to the nock in a few days, I got tired of refletching arrows.....
    Go Retro!

Sounding like more bad than good from these things.

That is all we have on our Range! Bid butts 30 yards and less, with Supper Butts 35 out to 80 yards. A few butts on the range are 5 years old most were replaced March 2009. Our range is in a county park and some get hammered hard. Yes, our target sheds are covered, and yes we do have to reband some ever year that get used more than others. Some shooters just stand in front of the 3 closest one to the parking lot and will not walk the range for heck...... I have 2 in my back yard from the first order uncovered still holding good in the sides and corners. The middle of one is getting some rot but 5 years, I Love them!!
    Arrow Slinging Fool
    N.F.A.A. and G.B.A.A. Member since 1981
    The Shark X IS BACK, and a Money Maker LF
    www.ogeecheebowmen.com

I wonder if you can tighten them up some how. Ratchet strap or banding strap.
    Little Jon's Strings
    DARTON ARCHERY

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtechie View Post
    I've read that some clubs do re-band them after a few years and are able to pick up another year or two of use out of them that way. I guess that's an option for us as well, but ours aren't even a year old yet.

Talking Yes Re-band!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtechie View Post
    Yes you can re-band, that is how we get the extra life out of ours. Our club has been around since 1959, we have banding equipment that we have gotten over the years. we use 1 1/4" steel band, we use to use one band in the middle(worked fine) but now we use 2 like PBB do. It gives 2 friction point to slow the arrow down instead of only 1 point of friction.
    Arrow Slinging Fool
    N.F.A.A. and G.B.A.A. Member since 1981
    The Shark X IS BACK, and a Money Maker LF
    www.ogeecheebowmen.com

Our club switched to the Block 4' X 4' foam range bales several years ago and I can't imagine going back to excelsior or Bow Butts, both of which froze up in the winter. The Blocks are NOT cheap.
    Soon to be moving to Florida ...
    NFAA, NAA, NADA, NASP
    Intermediate level coach
    Past President (phew!), Northwest Archers

Quote Originally Posted by red1691 View Post
    Yes you can re-band, that is how we get the extra life out of ours. Our club has been around since 1959, we have banding equipment that we have gotten over the years. we use 1 1/4" steel band, we use to use one band in the middle(worked fine) but now we use 2 like PBB do. It gives 2 friction point to slow the arrow down instead of only 1 point of friction.
    Great info. Thanks!
    Little Jon's Strings
    DARTON ARCHERY

Our course is currently the largest morrel bags, I would like to set it up to try some field archery shoots. We mostly run 3d shoots but would like to try some field archery shoots. Has anybody used the large morrels or where can you get the excelsior bales?

There is a place in northern Ohio that may not be that far away from you that sells excelsior bales. I may be in the target market real soon again myself, so I'm also looking for that number. If I find it, I'll pass it on.
    "When I sent you out barefoot without purse or pack, were you ever short of anything? It is different now, whoever has a purse had better take it with him, and his pack too; and if he has no sword, let him sell his cloak to buy one."

Luke 22:35-37

thanks I appreciate the thought

Quote Originally Posted by gryfox00 View Post
    Our course is currently the largest morrel bags, I would like to set it up to try some field archery shoots. We mostly run 3d shoots but would like to try some field archery shoots. Has anybody used the large morrels or where can you get the excelsior bales?
    You can definately get by just fine with the Morrell Outdoor Range bags.
    We've done it for a couple of years now.

However, there are a few targets where you'll want larger butts.
    60, 65, 80, and the Bird are where you really need the larger ones.
    We now have 4'x4' Big Green Monsters on these lanes.
    Next will be the 36 & 32 yard fans where double faces are nice to have.

We have used PBB and excelsior targets. The PBB we have under a roof held up well. We have a public range that gets heavy use. The ones exposed to the rain and sun rotted out and shot through in a few months. We originally went to banding to tighten up the targets but that was marginal. We since went to putting a wood frame around the target to hold in the sides and using all thread to pull a board down on the top. That seems to get them tight and you don't get the "rounding" of the butts like you do with the bands.

The excelsior bales we tried worked fine and a little moisture causes the fiber to swell and tighten up. They came with baling wire which was quickly broken when arrows hit them. We ended up putting banding on all the excelsior bales. Suggest if you go with excelsior you put bands on them new to save the extra work later.

Quality from butt to butt seems to be quite different. I shot a field tourn. on a full range of 42 targets, all new, and they didn't seem to hold well across the field. Most pull well, but arrows penetrate deeply and some were beginning to pass through also. I would consider other options if it were my decision.

I ran a triathalon this past wknd, 20 3d unknwn, a 300 15 target field archery, and 10 rounds of 3 spot indoors, everbody loved it. I ran the field archery on our outdoor range morrel bags. The biggest issue I found, was that I couldn't run double 50 cm faces. To run an official NFAA shoot I figure we will have to double up the bags for the 50 cm faces and for the short 20 cm face walk up. I'm thinking I could get away with it since I am doing the 65 yrd shot not the 80yrd .Thanks for the input.

My personal PBB targets are 3 years old and doing great. I have them under cover, shoot them hard ...... not even close to pass thru's. The ownwe told me, "they would be the last targets I bought". I don't believe that but if I had bad luck with mine ... I'd be calling him on it
    "07" Allegiance #62 APG Easton FMJ
    "08" Guardian-#61 APG CX 250
    "12" Destroyer 340-#63 AT Custom - Easton ACC
    "14" Experience- #62 Black OPs - Easton ACC
    And a few others Proud Southpaw

Our range has 66 of these bales. Like said before, quality varies from bale to bale. We have some that were purchased in 07, and still holding up good, and have some that were bought in 09, but not installed until this year and they are soft. Most of the bales we bought in 08 are still on the range, but many will need replaced next year.

Also, it depends on what arrow people are using. these bales do not do a good job of stopping small diameter heavy arrows like x 10's or navigators, but work well for larger diameter arrows. We back our bales up with 3/4" thick rubber belting, which helps us get more life out of the bales. once arrows start to penetrate into the rubber, we change them out. On average, I would say expect 2 year life, with heavy useage.

We are currently looking for some alternatives, but everything else out there is considerably more $$$.
    2011 Hoyt CRX 35....Field,3D
    2009 Hoyt Vantage Pro.....Indoor
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL......Hunting

Samick Phantom........Everything

Hey, just want everyone to know that we were able to get to the root of what was causing the problem with our targets.

Check out what we found and were able to do.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ific+bow+butts

jre4192

You should of mentioned that we the manufacture replaced them at our cost even though the club installed them incorrectly. And the fact the we was contacted on the 30th of June and the targets arrived in time to install for the Ohio Archers Association State Field Championship on July 17/18.

pacwest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast