Thread: Shooting a Bow with Glasses - HELP!!!

Shooting a Bow with Glasses - HELP!!!

Well....I have worn contacts for over 20 years and now all of sudden, they are causing me a ton of grief - corneal infiltrates. After months of trial and error with my eye doctors, we have determined that contacts are no longer an option for me. So, I have two options - glasses or LASIK. I can't afford LASIK so, that leaves me shooting with glasses.

I tried shooting with glasses last weekend...and well, the results - NOT SO GOOD!!! It was an extreme PIA...constantly having to push my glasses up to make sure I could see clearly through my peep.

I have to figure this out and in short order...I leave on September 8th for CO and my shooting needs to be A++ with glasses before the trip!!!!

SO...for those of you that shoot with glasses - any suggestions or help would be great!!! Do certain frames/lenses or combos work better than others? Anything....

Meeting with the eye doc on July 12th to set up a pair of frames and lenses for hunting/shooting only!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!

keep the lenses free of smudges, raindrops, sweat etc. While in stand I try to keep my nose grease free so that the glasses don't slide. Glasses suck when using a facemask. They will fog up. I have to keep mine under my nose.

No face mask for this guy....stricly paint!!!!

My biggest problem is seeing through my peep clearly....with glasses, at full draw 9 times out of 10 I see two pin housings through my peep. I think it is being caused by seeing a touch of the frame/edge of the lense as I am looking through the glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by STRAITBT View Post
    Well....I have worn contacts for over 20 years and now all of sudden, they are causing me a ton of grief - corneal infiltrates. After months of trial and error with my eye doctors, we have determined that contacts are no longer an option for me. So, I have two options - glasses or LASIK. I can't afford LASIK so, that leaves me shooting with glasses.

I tried shooting with glasses last weekend...and well, the results - NOT SO GOOD!!! It was an extreme PIA...constantly having to push my glasses up to make sure I could see clearly through my peep.

I have to figure this out and in short order...I leave on September 8th for CO and my shooting needs to be A++ with glasses before the trip!!!!

SO...for those of you that shoot with glasses - any suggestions or help would be great!!! Do certain frames/lenses or combos work better than others? Anything....

Meeting with the eye doc on July 12th to set up a pair of frames and lenses for hunting/shooting only!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!
    Piece of cake. Find a eye doctor that will relocate the optical center of your shooting eye lens and make sure the glasses give you full coverage. Once I did this shooting with glasses was cake and all my prior frustration was gone.

I used a company I found on here. They were cheap but not so fast. High Tech Archery Optics.
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Quote Originally Posted by STRAITBT View Post
    No face mask for this guy....stricly paint!!!!

My biggest problem is seeing through my peep clearly....with glasses, at full draw 9 times out of 10 I see two pin housings through my peep. I think it is being caused by seeing a touch of the frame/edge of the lense as I am looking through the glasses.
    Yep! That's exactly the problem having the optical center relocated and having a full coverage lens will fix. It drove me crazy!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)

I'm wearing contacts again, but I thought I would try shooting with glasses just in case something happened while hunting and I needed to do that. I can't come up with any type of stance, anchor, or otherwise where I can get my sight, peep, and glasses lens even remotely close to lining up. If I do all as normal, I am looking directly through the middle section between the lenses, which is about as effective as shooting without glasses at all. If I were to shoot with glasses, I'd need a one piece lens that goes across my entire face like my Killer Loop sunglasses.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by slim9300 View Post
    Piece of cake. Find a eye doctor that will relocate the optical center of your shooting eye lens and make sure the glasses give you full coverage. Once I did this shooting with glasses was cake and all my prior frustration was gone.

I used a company I found on here. They were cheap but not so fast. High Tech Archery Optics.

+1
    If you have progressive bifocals, You will find them extremely difficult to shoot with. I had Hi tech make me a set of reg bifocals with the optical center moved & they work great. One of those straps the fishing guys use will also help keep them in place.

Just another tip. The way you find the 'correct' optical center for your shooting eye is to act as you are holding your bow at full draw and have someone take a sharpie from straight in front of you and put a dot on your old lens right in the center of your pupil. This will normally be in the far left and maybe lower side of your right lens if you shoot with your right eye. Good luck!

check out these style of glasses
    http://www.knobloch-shootingglasses.com/allframes.html
    Almost an infinite amount of adjustment to the lenses. Not cheap but I got mine used from a gun/shooting website. Had a lens made by my optometrist. Work nicely, however I wish the nose piece was not so thick. I still see it in the very edge of the peep.

My frames get in the way too. Luckily, my vision isn't bad enough that I have to use glasses, so I just leave them at home when I hunt or shoot.
    Hoyt Ultra-Tec Shooter
    QDMA Member / Certified Master Tree Farmer
    Owner of Oakridge BBQ LLC- Maker of: ~ Venison, Game Bird & Chicken, and Competition BBQ Rubs ~
    Visit our AT Classifieds Ad for more info about Oakridge BBQ rubs!
    Special Thanks to Jesus Christ, my Lord, Savior & Hunting Buddy

Use a Big Peep. I like the G5 hunter the big one. Some how after 10 years of shooting with glasses on its like rutine that I push them up before each shot "on hot days". And forget about face mask.....your hunting so Paint your face!!! Its not a fashion show...I had to learn this too. And last Get you some of the sports straps it will really help.
    Fine Stickbow and Expensive Glass

it is very important to get a pair of glasses that have a very low nose bridge . I acually took my bow into the place where I bought my glassesd until I found what I was looking for. That was a few years ago now I have found that if you can turn your head like you were shooting, and see the end of your nose in your lense you are probably going to be ok.

glasses

How about prescription sport glasses like the basketball players wear?

How bout some Harry Carry specials?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been shooting bow with glasses (small frame/lenses) from day 1 & have never had any issues that some of you speak of & I also use a 3/16" peep sight, & face masks.
    I dont see multiple pins, dont have a problem of the glasses slipping, or getting in the way of the string.
    recently this subject was brought up while a buddy & me were shooting, he said he could never shoot with shades on cuz they always got in the way. he used a nose anchor point while I use the back corner of my bottom lip as an anchor point (besides the cheek bone for the hand for another anchor point).

thus the glasses never get in the way cuz the string is more so on the side of the face vs having your face tilted inwards to the string with a nose anchor point, & maybe at the same time keeping the glasses on my face cuz my head is always straight up/down vs being tilted some with the nose achor point

though I'll admit wearing glasses they do tend to fog up under certain conditions, but its one of those things you really need to start paying attention to what conditions make them fog up - IMO keep your body on the cool side (temp) & have a decent cloth that you can wipe them until the fogging has stopped.
    I've never tried those anti fogging stuff for glasses but do just fine w/o them, the time zone I have a problem is the walk in while you get a little warm but after a little bit sitting at the hunting spot the glasses are fine.
    once cooled down, if need be then I'll put the extra layers on...walk in light clothed!

I wear glasses and I also struggle with poor vision from time to time. One thing I have to do, and this might help you, is to keep your nose, cheek bones and brows as dry as humanly possible. I keep a lot of paper towels in my pack for this very purpose. Secondly, try and keep your glasses high on the bridge of your nose. During a typical hunt I probably push mine up 100 times. If I don't have them up, my eye will line up with the peep looking over the top inside edge of my glasses.
    And that is NO GOOD! I am very nearsighted without glasses, and would probably shoot my foot if I were to release an arrow without seeing through, rather than around my glasses.

Another thing I know I should probably do, and you may consider, is to get a larger lens for hunting.
    More lens area couldn't be a bad thing.
    Possibly something in yellow. Yeah....That's the ticket!
    A Child doesn't remember their best day of Television.. Take a Kid hunting.

make sure your glasses are pushed up tight to your face and you shouldnt have any issues
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Thanks fellas....any other advice is appreciated!!!!

my glasses have been a pain in my backside for years and as soon as they can get that lazer to fix my problems I will be all over it .

Although nothing was ever perfect when I wore glasses I used a Verifier peep and it made a world of difference in clearing up my pins. Sometimes it caused a small amount of fuzziness at the target but I went by the theory that the middle of a fuzzy target is still the middle.
    Destroyer 350, World's slowest Bowtech 82nd Airborne,(351 fps) 06 Tribute, Liberty VFT target, Independence, Miranda, McPherson, Browning, Xi, Bear, Ben Pearson (From hand made long bows to compounds, mostly on loan to the local museum)

I have to turn my glasses so my right lense in over the bridge of my nose. Otherwise, when I attempt to shoot I look through the bridge of my glasses & can't see a thing. I do shoot with both eyes open.
    FOR SALE!!
    G5 Quest QS33 Package $350 + 3% for Paypal FREE SHIPPING!!
    Racho Safari Cat Quiver MINI (NEW) $65 + 3% for Paypal FREE SHIPPING!!

I have been shooting with glasses for over 20 years now. As was already stated I don't touch the end of my nose with the string, the string goes along the side of my nose so that I can clearly see thru my peep. I also have bigger frames and a small nose bridge for my hunting glasses, I've also had some with no nose pieces just the frame. You may also need a verifier, I don't for hunting. I shoot with both eyes open and don't even notice the glasses anymore.

Or shoot without a peep, just use a kisser.

I am in the same boat... having a ton of trouble w/ my contacts this past year... pretty sure I will need to hunt w/ glasses now too.
    I am having no problems shooting with them on... Make sure you have them adjusted to fit right... i will go to my eye doctor's office before season to make sure that they are adjusted correctly.
    I will be using face paint for now I guess.
    Mathews Creed
    HHO Optimizer 5019
    Beman ICS Hunter 400
    NAP SpitFire Maxx
    Rip Cord Code Red

I had the problem where mine would need to be pushed tight to my face before the shot, so I built it into my routine when I draw back to push them tight at the bridge. Even when I shoot with contacts in I still do the same movement when they aren't on my face. My anchor and holdmust be different because I can still anchor on my nose and look close through close to the cent of the lense.

It is a pain wearing them on the cooler days because they tend to fog up a lot. Try putting some defogger on them to tame that a little. Hopefully moving the lense around will help, and just get out and keep trying.
    Posted via Mobile Device