Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Foundation Fall Mix

I actually only had 4 pounds of turnips it turns out.

And the peas came in a 40 # bag yes.

I planted it all today already so I guess I just have to pray for rain and hope it comes up.

I was home last weekend and snapped a few pics.

This plot was "new" ground last year and had been a weed field for decades. Sumac had grown up 10-15 feet and it was pretty nasty. We plowed, disked, planted buckwheat, disked, let the BW grow again, disked again, let it grow again, then planted the foundation plot. This year the clover kept up with the weed pressure until July and August. A month of temps topping 95 every day with very little rain weakened the clover and the weeds in the seed bank took over.

This is why I don't recommend planting "new" ground to a perinneal plot. IMO it's much better to work the plot for a couple or three years and get the weed problem (if you have one) under control before wasting seed on a long term plot.

Because I'll disk and re-plant soon I don't mind the weeds too much, and neither did this young guy...munching away!

I bushhogged the plot in preparation of re-planting it this coming weekend, and once you could see the ground I noticed that the clover was still there.

This is why I recommend fall planted clover over spring planted. Spring planted clover might not have had enough time to build root depth and survive the brutally hot and dry weather we had. This fall planted red clover didn't like it, but it did survive.

planting this mix in 2 plots tomorrow. a 1/6th of an acre plot, and a 1/4 acre plot.
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Planting Day 2010

I got planted over Labor Day weekend. I finished buying seed from the TN Farmer's Co-op in Dickson on Saturday.

Here is my seed list:

10 bushels rye (56 #'s / bushel) $14.50 / bushel Co-op
    5 bags feed oats (50 lbs / bag) $10.30 / bag Co-op
    5 bags austrian winter peas 50 lb bag $32.50 / bag Co-op
    50 lb bag Red Clover $87.50 / bag Co-op
    25 lbs Daikon Radish $85 Welter's Seed

The feed oats are just plain whole oats. They are not seed grade, but they should grow anyway. It's cheaper than seed oats so I'm experimenting.

I got a discount on the RC because they didn't have to break a bag.

I ordered Daikon Radish instead of Groundhog Forage Radish because I didn't order soon enough and Welters was sold out.

I started out by disking both of my plots. One was in buckwheat and the other had been in red clover all summer. The plot in BW disked a lot easier.

Green manure is a beautiful thing!

The plot that was RC.

My planting rate was VERY heavy. I did this to keep up with turkey and dove predation on the seed plus expected heavy grazing by deer. Plus last year I planted too light and had a thin stand. I'm erring on the side of caution this year.

I broadcast 3.8 acres with:

8 bushels rye
    4 bags oats
    4 bags AWP

Then I cultipacked

After cultipacking I broadcast 50 lbs red clover and 19 lbs of radish seed.

Radish

Clover

I used a different seeder for these because they are a much smaller seed with a much lower application rate and the big PTO driven seed hopper just can't meter it well enough.

The ATV mounted electric seeders are really nice, but you can also use a handheld seeder and walk the plots broadcasting as you go.

After seeding the radish and clover I cultipacked the plots again, and I was done!!! I started disking a little after noon on Saturday and finished cultipacking the clover and radish seed early Monday, just taking time for meals and church on Sunday. The weather was great, I got sunburned, and I am REALLY glad it's over with. The forecast is for a chance of rain Wed-Sunday this week, so hopefully I'll have some green tender growth to hunt over for our Sept 25th archery opener.

I am going to try and get two plots in this weekend with this mix except I will be using winter wheat instaed of Rye just because I have a lot of it right to use up. Also I dont have a cultipacker but I plan on using a 9 ft spike tooth harrow over the peas, wheat, and oates and then a chain drag after the radishes and clover behind the atv, do you see any problems with that?

Blue,

I think a harrow would do fine for the peas, wheat, and oats. I've never used a chain drag so I don't know how deep it would bury the seed. The clover and radish don't need to be more than 1/4" inch deep. If you think they may get buried deeper than that I would just hold off and broadcast them before a rain. The rain will ensure seed to soil contact which is all you need for those two seeds.

I used the chain drag on our clover plot earlier this year and it worked just fine. All it really is is a peice of chainlink fence with a pipe across the top chained on behind the 4 wheeler and it only moves the very top layer of dirt around.

Well I ended up not being able to get all of the equipment back to the plot on Tuesday when I planted. There is a ditch i have to cross to get back there and I got lucky to get across it the first time with the tractor and disc so I decided to make do with what I had back there to work with. I disced up a couple patches in our 2 acre clover plot and spread the peas and oats with a electric broadcaster mounted on the bed of my golf cart that I am turning into our deer hunting rig. Then I disced them in very lightly with the disc and tractor. After that we spread the radishes and clover and I drove the golf cart back and forth on the plots to lightly pack them in. I should mention that the golf cart has 22x10 atv tires so it didnt pack the ground very tightly at all with that much contact area on the tires. Time will tell on how it turned out, Il opener is in 2 weeks from tomorrow and I dont plan to be back there until then.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapejuice View Post
    planting this mix in 2 plots tomorrow. a 1/6th of an acre plot, and a 1/4 acre plot.
    got both in on Sept. 4th. I used "bob" oats, annual rye grain (not sure of type), AWPs, red clover, and Daikon radishes. Just today finally getting some rain on it. Hopefully it will take off. I will get some pics up soon. Also looking to put a couple of cages up in the plots to observe browsed vs. un-browsed.

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

It's up!

I finished planting September 6th. It was bone dry so no germination until some rain fell. Late that week it got a good two hour shower and then a little the next day.

Here it is on Sept. 16th showing a definite 5 O'clock shadow. It got another good rain yesterday so hopefully by opener on the 25th I'll have some deer hitting it. As expected, rye and buckwheat are the first thing up. The buckwheat is germinating from leftover seed in this plot, but it won't pose a problem for me. Shortened days and cooler nights will stunt it badly, and the first frost will kill it all. In the meantime it's more free food for the deer.

My plot is looking good

Here is my plot. I planted it around August 15th give or take a couple of days.

There are some weeds around the edges, but other wise the field is looking great.

What do you all think?

great looking plot!!!

good looking plot there,keep us posted on deer activity and plot growth!!
    Last edited by jason03; September 19th, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    Athens Archery Field Staff
    Athens Accomplice 34

Wow! that looks great!

I would think mine would look similiar, but we have had less than a half inch of rain total in the last 60+ days. I don't care how well you do things, if you don't get rain, only thing you grow is dust!!

praying for a week long soaker here in Central KY.

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Cap,

That plot looks great! I'm suprised I'm not seeing browse pressure on the peas, oats, and rye in those pics. It's early for them to hit turnips, but they should be after everything else. When does season start for you?

That plot is a good example of what mixes with turnips can look like if you're not careful....turnip patches with other seeds thrown in. Cap did a good job, but if you don't watch the planting rate carefully you can have a straight turnip patch. This is because turnips have a much larger crown than dwarf essex rape or radishes, so they can shade out some other parts of the mix, especially if you fertilize with a lot of Nitrogen. Moral of the story is if you do a mix with turnips go really light on the seeding rate.

Good job Cap, and good luck! Thanks for sharing those pics here.

So the more I read this thread the more I wanna try this minus the clover for perinnial plot. I think this will be an great mix for a smaller plot for all fall attraction.

Cap whats your seeding rate on the turnips?

Deathbringer - my season is open as of Saturday the 18th. You are right though, they aren't hitting the field really hard. Over the past week I had 150 pictures on the field. Roughly 75 of those were deer. I'm hoping they hit it harder as the season progresses. There are alot of fields in the area, so I'm guessing thats where they are eating right now. Around the edges of the field there are signs of them munchin on the plants. Could it be they just aren't used to the food selection in the plot???

bowhunr - I believe I planted 4 lbs. of turnips in te plot. When I planted them I mixed the turnip seed with the clover seed. Probably not the way to do it, but it worked.
    the rest of the mix I used:
    oats-50
    rye - 50
    peas - 40
    clover - 10
    turnips - 4

Cap,

I'd say you're competing with some other high-quality food source. Are a lot of oaks dropping acorns? Soybeans that are still green? The only other thing I can think of is your early planting date could have the cereal grains past the tender stage, but they didn't look that big to me.

Acorns are dropping like mad up by me. The beans are yellow, but I saw a handful of deer in the field as I was driving to my land. There are bean fields above and below my land. Corn field and clover field borders my land.

I was kind of thinking I might have planted to early as well. But hey, the field looks good so I'm happy with it. If nothing else, I'll chaulk this one up as a learning expierence and plant a little bit later next season.
    Thanks again for the info and the help along the way. Appreciate it GREATLY!!!!
    Thanks for the mix info though. This is a great plot and I'm expecting it to only get better as the season goes on.

Between the acorns, the last of the tender bean leaves, the corn, and the clover I would say you've got some pretty stiff competition! They'll start hitting that plot later in the year though.

If you're afraid of the cereals getting too big you can buy another bag of rye grain and broadcast it into the plot prior to a rain. That will cause a new germination of rye which will be young and tender.

Update 9/22/2010

Dad sent me few more pics. It has been pretty dry since planting and the plot really needs rain.

Looks good!

Update 9/ 25

Everything is up and working on filling in. This morning was the start of bow season but the wind was wrong so I didn't hunt over either plot. That will change this afternoon.

Rye / Oats. Rye is red at the base of the stem when it is young.

Austrian Winter Peas = Deer Candy

Daikon Radishes - I actually nibbled a few of these and it reminded me of spinach salad. It's a lot less bitter than the turnip greens I've tried.

Look closely and you'll see baby clover. Clover spends its' first 6 weeks or so building roots, so it won't do much for the plot this fall. Next spring it will get a big jump and provide a great clover plot all spring, summer and fall until time to plant again. Because of the established root system the clover will be more likely to survive heat and drought. This is why fall planted clover beats spring planted clover.

Here you can see it all together in the same pic- Rye, Oats, AWP, radish, and red clover. In addition you see volunteer buckwheat that germinated from leftover seed. Cool nights will stunt the BW and the first frost will kill it all. In the meantime it provides another option to munch on.

Looking good. What kind of radish did you plant??? How big of crown will that produce?

hey cap, i think he planted diakon raddishes.thats what i used in my plot also!!

Anybody want to comment on tonnage per acre of this mix compared to something like a straight planting of turnips/rape mix?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast