a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse sweet feed for deer?

Horse sweet feed for deer?

Anyone use sweet feed for deer bait?

Natures Essence

I have used it in the past..worked well for me.

Yes, it works well. It's grain with molasses on it. Of course they like it. I think you'll find that most people don't use it because it cost so much more than just a bag of whole corn, and corn works as well as anything. If you can get some Horse and Mule for pretty cheap, use it.
    Texas heart shooter.

Thinking about mixing it with corn.
    Natures Essence

Quote Originally Posted by davydtune View Post
    Thinking about mixing it with corn.
    Okay, what are your reasons for wanting to feed it?
    Texas heart shooter.

we have used Horse n Mule for axis and hogs....they love it!

don't see why whitetail wouldn't like it either...we have setout blocks before made of the same stuff.

i've got a buddy who swears by it. they deer come to it on a daily basis, twice a day, and they rarely miss a feeding!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Apasum View Post
    Okay, what are your reasons for wanting to feed it?
    Bait site in OH
    Natures Essence

i dont know how good it would come out of a feeder because of the molasses it might get cloged. but i have used it just putin it in a pile but if it rains they didnt seem to like it that much.

my buddy would just spread it out in a long line on the ground, but i think it would do fine in a feeder...the molassas doesn't really do much to the consistancy

Bait site in OH
    I get that. What I mean, is why are you considering this over corn?
    Texas heart shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    my buddy would just spread it out in a long line on the ground, but i think it would do fine in a feeder...the molassas doesn't really do much to the consistancy
    Depends on the type of sweet feed. Some of it isn't bad, but a lot of them will set up like a brick.
    Texas heart shooter.

Sweet feed

I've used it from a feeder and it will definitely clog it up. Corn is a better option.
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme
    Goldtip UL 400
    Rage 2-blade
    T.R.U.ball
    H&M bowstrings

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Apasum View Post
    I get that. What I mean, is why are you considering this over corn?
    I'm not, just want to add to the corn. Right now I'm using corn and pouring molasses or buck jam over it. Thought this maybe a bit easier and probably a little cheaper.
    Natures Essence

I think Sneaky's point is that corn alone works just fine and you don't gain much with the added cost of sweet feed, or molasses or buck jam either.
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by goathollow View Post
    I think Sneaky's point is that corn alone works just fine and you don't gain much with the added cost of sweet feed, or molasses or buck jam either.
    I've actually had the opposite experience with it. The corn by itself doesn't get hit as hard by the deer and because of that the squirrels and coon get a good share of it. Once I started using the jam the deer started to hit it instantly.
    Natures Essence

i have mixed sweet feed with corn and have had good luck with it

I've actually had the opposite experience with it. The corn by itself doesn't get hit as hard by the deer and because of that the squirrels and coon get a good share of it. Once I started using the jam the deer started to hit it instantly.
    If they eat it better up there, then yeah, sweet feed would be a better way to go, probably.

Around here, I've used just about everything. Seems to me, if they won't eat the corn, then they have something in the woods like acorns that they are preocupied with.
    Texas heart shooter.

Sure they love it, most of them have corn in them. Can't do it in my state, but they come to my horses poopy pile with that in it!!
    PSE Stiletto 42#/25 1/2"
    Strother Hope 40#/25 1/2"
    PSE MALICIA

They make a granule type molasses you can add in,and won't clog your feeder,also they make flavored oils for livestock that seem to work well also,(if not using a gravity feeder)I jus toss a couple 12+ mineral blocks and and mix a small atv trailer with oats and butterscotch flavored oil,I cut plastic 55 gallon drums in 1/2 and pour a 5 gallon bucket worth in and,the deer jus hang out like @ a restaurant and waiting to be seated lol I dump feed 2 x weekly startn end of may-early june,and by huntn season,I got all the locals picketing @ my gate lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

I tried it back when I was in La and had the strangest results. The deer would only eat the corn out of it and not touch the other part. I don't know what the deal was, but the deer in that area would eat anything but the sweet feed.
    09 Rytera Alien X, Viper sights, Limbdriver Pro, -H=====posten====<]]][], CX Maximas, Paradigm CTA, JRH60/Advantage Archery strings, 125gr Strikers
    '06 BT Tribute, HHA Sights, NAP Smartrest, Riser Cam, CEx Mayhem Hunters, 100gr T3s, JRH60/Advantage Strings, Nockturnal nocks, Bow Rattler, Death Grip
    ALIEN MAFIA

in NJ, deer hardly touch corn but will eat a 50 lb. bag of sweet feed in a couple of hours!

too many bears around here for that. when ever we put corn out the bears usually take over. i bet they would really love that sweet feed

You need to build a feed trough with a roof over it to keep the rain off the sweet feed. Also, if you hang your stand right, the roof will prevent the deer from seeing you drawing your bow.

"All Stock" from tractor supply is cheaper than sweet feed and is nearly the same. It has less molassis in it and has protein and fat and other minerals in it. It is more nutritionally complete than corn and might be less attractive to coons. It crumbles when wet. Last year it was cheaper than corn. This year corn is cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast