Thread: Best Broadhead for Bear

Best Broadhead for Bear

Hey guys, I'm heading to Maine hopefully this year, if not this year, next years a lock, and I'm wondering which Broadhead to go with.

Please post wound pics, and or bloodtrails if possible. Thanks, SPIKE

You can use G5s or slick tricks with solid heads. That is what I'm using here. Just haven't had a chance to try it on a willing bear yet.
    2013 Insanity Black Opps 60lb draw
    PSE Xweave Pro 200s with 100gr T3s

which of your setups are you using?

Depends on which set-up your using. Do you want a mechanical or a fixed blade? What weight arrow do you want to finish at? With either of the bows in your signature I would feel confident with a Rage 2 blade. If you want to stay with a Fixed Blade I like the Magnus 4blade Stingers. As far as pics just do a seracher for Rage kill thread and I think there may be one for stingers also.

I have been trying to decide between Buzzcuts, G5 Strikers and Slicktricks all 100 grain. Think I,m going to go with the Slicktricks but I think any of those and a lot of others would work well. Just see what shoots best out of your setup.

Best broadhead for bear

I shot though a cinnamon bear in Canada two years ago using a 125 grain slick trick. After digging the arrow out of the ground, I cut my finger trying to remove ST from the shaft. Slick Tricks are not too be taken for granted. The bear went 30 yards before it died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarocal View Post
    Depends on which set-up your using. Do you want a mechanical or a fixed blade? What weight arrow do you want to finish at? With either of the bows in your signature I would feel confident with a Rage 2 blade. If you want to stay with a Fixed Blade I like the Magnus 4blade Stingers. As far as pics just do a seracher for Rage kill thread and I think there may be one for stingers also.
    I'm pretty sure I will be using the XLR8. I love that bow more every day. Right now I'm using Nap Nightmares, Silver Flames, and Magnus 4 blade Stingers. I also use Spitfires for turkey, but I'm not a big fan of mechanicals on deer.

I've never hunted bear with a bow, and have been seeing a lot of Slicktrick, and Magnus Snuffer references. I just want to hear about first hand experiences. Thanks again guys.

BTW....my arrows are weighing out at 335 with a 100 gr head.

You might give a second thought to the 335 grain arrow. I would probably recommend the G5 Striker; and screw it onto an Axis FMJ. Bears are not normally shot at long range, and the extra penetration of the FMJ would be a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Roskoes View Post
    You might give a second thought to the 335 grain arrow. I would probably recommend the G5 Striker; and screw it onto an Axis FMJ. Bears are not normally shot at long range, and the extra penetration of the FMJ would be a plus.
    What weight would you shoot for Roskoes?

This is an entrance wound on a Maine bear from a 100gr G5 Montec CS (430gr total arrow weight)........it was a clean pass through and the bear didn't go far.

Nice! Montecs used to be in my arsenal a few years back. One of the most accurate heads I've ever shot. Do you like the CS over the originals?

I shoot them both and all my Montecs fly super great, but the carbon steel blades are much easier to sharpen.....so I guess you could say I like them better.

I'll be taking Magnus Stinger 4-blades to Maine in Sept.
    "I'm your huckleberry"

I have shot 6 bears in Maine, harvested everyone with a mechanical head.

Fixed blades work fine, but I like the better blood trails that mechanical heads produce.

When bear hunting over bait, most of your shots are very close 15-18 yards, so I am not to worried about penetration.

Goodluck to all bear hunting!

I have killed 5 large bears in the past 5 seasons with snyper 2 blade expandables, they pass through like nothing, shot placement is way more important than BH, wait for the right shot, broadside or slightly quartering away, but I would wait for broadside. What I like about using a mechanical is they seem to always hit the spot, but if your fixed are flying well use them.
    Mars hills, Manitoba

the BEST broadhead for bear is the one you have the most confidence with in mading a great shot

i like montech

Quote Originally Posted by nanuke22 View Post
    I have shot 6 bears in Maine, harvested everyone with a mechanical head.

Fixed blades work fine, but I like the better blood trails that mechanical heads produce.

When bear hunting over bait, most of your shots are very close 15-18 yards, so I am not to worried about penetration.

Goodluck to all bear hunting!
    Which mechanicals are you using?

Keep em coming. I have another question. I'd love to take my dad, but these days he's only pulling 50#. He has a Hoyt Kobalt that is hitting 265 fps with a 304gr arrow.

Whitetails are no problem, but I'm not sure about bear. Any info (broadhead suggestions) would be great, thanks.

here is the bear i took last season with a 100 graig slick trick mag. he left an awesome bloodtrail.
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by spiker_01 View Post
    Keep em coming. I have another question. I'd love to take my dad, but these days he's only pulling 50#. He has a Hoyt Kobalt that is hitting 265 fps with a 304gr arrow.

Whitetails are no problem, but I'm not sure about bear. Any info (broadhead suggestions) would be great, thanks.
    Black bears aren't any harder to kill than whitetails. BH = super sharp and shot placement............these are both key.

Spiker 01, I have shot bears with 2 blade rages, grim reapers, spitfires, vortexs.

I hit every one in the lungs and they all went less then 40yds, I also suggest when aiming at a bear am at the center of the body, right behind the shoulder. I have seen alot of wounds with guys aiming to low, this happens because the hair on the bottom of the bear makes it look bigger than what it really is. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thumbs up a1hoyt.ca

I like a big cutting diameter for bears G5 Striker Magnum comes to mind or a big cut on contact broadhead.

Reapers

I use Grim Reapers, 1 3/4 cut. Pass through on this Maine Bear. 222 pounds. Exit hole was big enough for her intestines to fall out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Liberalism is mental disorder.

Razorbak 5. They worked for Rambo, they'll work on bear.