Thread: Colt Firearms Hunt Master

Colt Firearms Hunt Master

I just got an old colt recurve bow. it is a "Colt Hunt Master" and is 52" & 50# at 28".
    Says it is a colt's pat. fire arms mfg. co.inc.
    hartford, conn, u.s.a.
    I didn't know colt firearms made archery...

Is there any value to this bow. If so, i'll hang it on the wall & look at it for some years. If not, i'll probably take it out and shoot with it.

Suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks!

AR -

You are correct, Colt didn't make archery equipment. That bow was made either by Wing or Ben Pearson Archery. Based on the looks, my GUESS would be Wing.

Not a big deal as there was a lot of "decal swapping" in the 60's and 70's.

Doubt there's a lot of collector value, even though it appears to be in excellent condition. Only problem with it being a shooting is that a lot of bows of that length had a early stack point. Therefore, your draw length may factor in.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

didn't know colt firearms made archery... Is there any value to this bow. If so, i'll hang it on the wall & look at it for some years. If not, i'll probably take it out and shoot with it.
    Colt didn't make the bows they sold. They were made for Colt by 1 or more well-known bow makers. Don't recall which ones but I believe that Colt did have a primary bowyer they used. Did not see many in the hands of shooters, but did see a few. They were damn good-looking bows and I have no doubt they were of quality, being that most of the bows made and sold "back then" were commonly quality bows.

As for value; have no idea on market value and what someone is personally willing to pay for the bow is up for grab.

As for hanging it on the wall and looking at it for years; I learned that doing so with just 1 or a few bows is to not enjoy the use of the bow(s)...for years. I am also sorry that I sold some of my early-made 'curves over the years....other than the "Sabo."

A few seasons ago, at the begging of a nephew, I pulled my rare Bear Gen 1 takedown out of a years of storage and put it back into action. The value is not such that I could sell it and retire and buy my own island. I discovered that I was sorry for doing so. The bow is a dream to shoot and hunt with.

string?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    AR -

You are correct, Colt didn't make archery equipment. That bow was made either by Wing or Ben Pearson Archery. Based on the looks, my GUESS would be Wing.

Not a big deal as there was a lot of "decal swapping" in the 60's and 70's.

Doubt there's a lot of collector value, even though it appears to be in excellent condition. Only problem with it being a shooting is that a lot of bows of that length had a early stack point. Therefore, your draw length may factor in.

Viper1 out.
    says its a 28" draw... thats about what i shoot regularly. next step is finding a string. I think I'll use it some and see how I like its shooting. Anyone know where I can get a good string made up?
    Thanks
    Thanks!

http://www.3treestrings.com/index.html

Or you can make your own and Viper will be happy!
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

AR -

Start with a 14 strand B-50 string, about 48" long (or ask for an AMO 52" string), don't use an fast-flight type strings. Neither you nor the bow will be happy. I'd guess that bow will brace to at least 8".

And yes, real men make their own stings.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

I will second 3treestrings!

adrenalinerush, they all say 28" (for the most part), it was just a standardized way to mark the poundage at a given length.most of my shorties start stacking right after 28" it seams, luckily I only draw about 27 1/2