a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Need help setting up lower poundage bow!!

Need help setting up lower poundage bow!!

My nine year old brother will be bowhunting this fall with and I need opinions on hunting arrows and broadheads.
    He will be shooting 35lbs/ 21 in DL, but I need opinions on the optimum arrow weight for his set up to maximize penetration. When I first started the process of finding him the perfect hunting arrow I was under the impression that I would need to keep his arrow weight around 500 grains to get the best penetration, but several have told me arrow weight is relative to draw weight and that 315-365 grains would be a good choice and right now he is shooting 23" Maxima Hunters with 4 in feathers and 175 grains of tip weight for about 370-380 grain arrows and around 20% foc.
    Another issue is broadheads, I know a COC 2 blade would penetrate the best but the blood trails would be tough to follow, so what do you guys think about Wensel Woodsman 3 blades for a low poundage rig?
    Dillon (my brother) is pumped about bowhunting and is shooting his Trykon Jr really, really well. He says thanks for all replies!

Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

Boils down to Kinetic energy

Very easy to caculate your arrows here in this link. Shooting the highest KE always works best. Carbon arrows penetrate best. Not shooting a over sized cut on broadhead seems to perform best. Oklahoma Law requires youth to shoot 40lbs and I agree this is a good law.

Here the link

http://www.huntonly.com/kinetic_energy_cal.php
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Since you have a bit of time before the season starts I would be trying a few different combinations and see what shoots best. I tend to think a 100 to 125gn Stingers and give some Blazers or AAE Max Hunter vanes or similar a try.
    Just make sure the bow is well tuned and keep the range short.

Yes his bow is paper tuned and will shoot a bareshaft and any broadhead right with field points. I've timed the cams and spent alot of work tuning his bow for the best arrow flight.
    We plan on keeping shots under 15 yards, 20 if conditions are right( he stays inside the middle of the ten on my hog and fallow target at 20).
    Any opinions on arrow weight?
    Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

I'd shoot around 7 gpp if it was me. Should get good driving force with that weight.
    New Breed Cyborg
    High Country Conquest
    Toelke Chinook
    Samick Sage
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear www.dirtnapgear.com

I'd set him up with Trophy Ridge's Fred Bear Razorhead on an arrow on the heavier side. I killed my 1st deer with that combo and the bloodtrail was good with the bleeder blades in. I had a passthrough but I was @ 50lbs draw. I wish the best of luck for you both!
    '06 Bowtech Tribute 70# - '07 Hoyt Vulcan 63#
    Wac-em XL, SlickTrick Mag, Viper and Razor tricks - favorite fixed

1st bowkill deer 10-10-1977 / with a 1976 Bear Whitetail Hunter - Still have it!
    I love Wisconsin. We have 2 seasons!! Hunting Season and Fishing Season!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Havoc View Post
    I'd set him up with Trophy Ridge's Fred Bear Razorhead on an arrow on the heavier side. I killed my 1st deer with that combo and the bloodtrail was good with the bleeder blades in. I had a passthrough but I was @ 50lbs draw. I wish the best of luck for you both!
    I liked the older Razorheads and used them for a long time. I am not sure about the newly redesigned one. The only reason I can see to redesign one of the longest running broadhead designs is to cut manufacturing costs yet still sell heads because of name recognition. That's why i switched to Stingers this year for my fixed broadhead applications.

No one is going to want to hear this, but i would not shoot at a deer with a bow that light, regardless of the arrows weight....

390-500 is a great weight for a hunting arrow, one end of the scale has speed, the other has momentum... unfortunately, those numbers are not going to stack up favorably for that bow... the possibilities of going out with the intentions of killing something only to wound it mortally without recovery is too high....

I'd wait 1 year and keep up the good shooting and gun hunt for deer this year to avoid regreting the decision later.

I'd shoot between 7-8 gpp of arrow with a steelforce phathead on it. I know several young people shooting between 35 & 40 lb bows using this setup & get pass thrus on 20 yard & under shots. PA min is 35 lbs. to hunt with.

Quote Originally Posted by gun870guy View Post
    No one is going to want to hear this, but i would not shoot at a deer with a bow that light, regardless of the arrows weight....

390-500 is a great weight for a hunting arrow, one end of the scale has speed, the other has momentum... unfortunately, those numbers are not going to stack up favorably for that bow... the possibilities of going out with the intentions of killing something only to wound it mortally without recovery is too high....

I'd wait 1 year and keep up the good shooting and gun hunt for deer this year to avoid regreting the decision later.
    People have been killing deer with light poundage traditional gear for centuries. A 35lb compound bow set-up correctly certainly has enough ke for a whitetail. It won't be able to take as far of a shot as a higher ke bow but I can assure you that so long as the bow meets that states legal requirements I would have no issues with taking that bow out hunting.

Sorry, but my daughter managed just fine last season. You are entitled to your opinion, but people used to to hunt (and some still do) with 40# recurves that transfer not even close to the energy a 35# compound will. They are successful year after year. That said, shot placement and tuning are key. That is allot more important with a light setup. That falls on the mentor and young hunter to set a standard and stick to it.

For the OP, my daughter's setup is close to your brother's. She uses a light arrow though as I got the best flight out of them (accuracy over power). We ended up with GT Ultralights 600's cut at 26" with an 85gr 4 blade Magnus Buzzcut on the end. I put FOB's on the other end as I found them to be super forgiving. They were a bit long for her bow, but shot beautifully.

I was very strict on when she could and could not shoot. I had to approve of any shot. Hate to say, but I'd rather she shot a small deer than a larger one both for her first deer and with her setup. The result was her watching some deer go by, but bagging one in the end with a nice heart shot and a clean pass through.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

This bow will have enuff to take a whitetail if the shot is well placed and within 15-20 yards IMO.

As far as heads go I would only recomend a 2 blade and it would be zwickie, or magnus! Take your pick between the two my personal Fav 2 blade is the Magnus II as seen on my avatar! There wont be a ton of blood BUT with a good shot there will be no need as the deer should expire withn a 100 or less! 35# is light but theres dudes out there killin deer with 35-40 pound longbows so that little compound IMO will get the job done with it being limited in distance and postionns ie. Broadside only
    Hell yea I hunt those poor little deer I eat them too.
    highcountryarchery.net/ Yea they are back and making excellent bows!!!!!!!!
    I created the staggar back tuning method

Quote Originally Posted by Jarocal View Post
    People have been killing deer with light poundage traditional gear for centuries. A 35lb compound bow set-up correctly certainly has enough ke for a whitetail. It won't be able to take as far of a shot as a higher ke bow but I can assure you that so long as the bow meets that states legal requirements I would have no issues with taking that bow out hunting.

While I agree its been done in the past I agree 35 is a bit light.

Since it seems to be legal to use any draw weight in KY its the choice of the archer. I know in AR you must use 40# or higher to hunt with.
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarocal View Post
    I don't doubt your abilities.... I'm aware that states have minimum requirements on draw weights and all, and I'm aware that people have killed deer with that setup....

I will leave you with this, have the maturity and reliance to limit yourself and understand the limitations you will have... I would restrict your shots to under 20 yards to keep your losses at a minimum and aim in the ribs away from that shoulder as much as possible and have fun....

As far as heads go.... I would get the sharpest cut on contact heads i could get..... MX-3s are a no brainer and have performed for generations....

As far as heads go.... I would get the sharpest cut on contact heads i could get..... MX-3s are a no brainer and have performed for generations....

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to point this out. While I'm a big fan of muzzy, its all I use, and would suggest them.

They only came out in 2007 with the mx-3 and mx-4 (3 years is hardly "generations" unless your a rabbit). Clearly not a COC broadhead.

This is a COC BH and what I would prolly suggest with such a light bow.
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to point this out. While I'm a big fan of muzzy, its all I use, and would suggest them.

They only came out in 2007 with the mx-3 and mx-4 (3 years is hardly "generations" unless your a rabbit). Clearly not a COC broadhead.

Thanks.... My point was more or less not to use mechanicals.... I wasn't going to get real anal about it

One thing for every one to remember, shots WILL be under 20 yards, and ONLY broadside. I know what I'm doing when it comes to tuning bows and building arrows just wanted some opinions on arrow weight. Thanks for all replies.
    I'm thinking about 150gr Magnus Stingers for broadheads, I'll probably buy a few different heads and test each.

too light , no penetration, too heavy, no distance...

my wife has a 22" draw, her first bow maxed at 37#, she was way overspinned but got great groups and penetration from axis 400 cut down,, i would set him or anyone else up with those perimeters with and axis 500 or 400,, i would start and end with two broadheads, # 1 the sonic by liberty.. superior penetration, # 2 strikers, both in 100 grain weight,, stay with 4" feathers,, they will pass through with less drag inside an animal than any vane will.. you need to mazimize penetration,, no other head will provide better overall results than the two i have listed for this set up... he will not have much velocity, the axis arrow ( or victory nano) will give less surface area which will aid accuracy in the wind, also reduce friction somewhat inside the body.. the two heads are amoung the sharpest made and cut through any material i have been able to use with less force...,, i would skip the woodsman, the large cavity between the blades can allow flesh to squeeze inside the blades or even a sliver or piece of bone causeing the blade to slow or stop penetrating sooner.. chisel heads will not penetrate as well as they require more energy to even get through the hide..

I was shooting really low pondage after my shoulder surgery and I did notice a diffrence in penetration when I went from two bladers to stingers with bleeders on them You want two holes or one? I highly recomend getting the deepest penetrating heads you can get
    Hell yea I hunt those poor little deer I eat them too.
    highcountryarchery.net/ Yea they are back and making excellent bows!!!!!!!!
    I created the staggar back tuning method

Set him up with a 7.5 to 8 GPI arrow, Blazers and a 100 grain Montec head. I've seen this work for my friends kids and wife for years at 40 pounds. Matter of fact one used a 5575 Goldtip and the Montec to kill a 4 point bull elk a while back.

Youth

Quote Originally Posted by passinthrough12 View Post
    One thing for every one to remember, shots WILL be under 20 yards, and ONLY broadside. I know what I'm doing when it comes to tuning bows and building arrows just wanted some opinions on arrow weight. Thanks for all replies.
    I'm thinking about 150gr Magnus Stingers for broadheads, I'll probably buy a few different heads and test each.
    Been taking youth almost ever year here for some time.

I know Slick Tricks will penetrate with 40lbs though the neck wheres lots of thickness at 23yrds.

Have the hole to prove it. I would not have believe it if I didnt see with my eyes. Complete pass through. Great heads and have witnessed this more than once. 85grn slicktick here on 55/75XT goldtip arrow at 40lbs

Notice the blood everwhere with this head. One happy youth.

Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I don't doubt your abilities.... I'm aware that states have minimum requirements on draw weights and all, and I'm aware that people have killed deer with that setup....

I will leave you with this, have the maturity and reliance to limit yourself and understand the limitations you will have... I would restrict your shots to under 20 yards to keep your losses at a minimum and aim in the ribs away from that shoulder as much as possible and have fun....

I hunt trails in the thickest underbrush parts of eastern woodlands. The furthest I can see from most of my stands is 20 yrds. It would not matter if I had the 40# martin jaguar or the 70#DXT. If I can not see any further I can't shoot any further.

As far as heads go, it was the same late 60's bear razorheads until I finally figured being 40 years old earned them retirement. Went with some 100 and 125gr 4 blade stingers for my trad gear this year.

Cool

Muzzy Phantoms!! Work great Callie, my GF has shot them for 2 years now 37# with great results!
    "If you are 20, and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are 40, and not conservative, you have no brain." -Winston Churchill

Gen. 21:20- "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."

I am in the exact same situation with my son who will be 10 tomorrow. After talking to several very knowledgeable people that have worked in the business for years I went with heavier arrows and a 100 grain 4 blade Magnus Buzzcut. I could not believe the difference in penetration when I added the weight tubes to his arrows. His arrow used to bounce off the bag target at 20 yards about one out of every 5 shots. It did not even come close to bouncing off after adding the weight. I would bet it went in twice as far. He is now up about 5 lbs since then, but it was apples to apples at the time. He will shoot at 15 yards or less.
    As far as it not being enough poundage, I do not believe it. At one time I read(I think on here) about a shop testing an old compound they had to a new youth bow. The old compound had to be at around 55 lbs I believe they said to be as fast as the new youth bow at 35lbs. Technology has really helped make bow hunting easier to get into for our youth.

Just my opinion..But a Beamn ICS hunter jr..With a 2 blade magnus ..I shoot slick tricks..But dont know how well they would do with this set up
    I live by my own rules (reviewed, revised, and approved by my wife).. but still my own-