Thread: Sharpening Montecs

Sharpening Montecs

If I just hold them on a stone (very carefully) by one blade in the straight up position with the other two blades on the stone, will the angle be proper to sharpen them? By pushing and pulling them across the stone in a circular motion will this get them sharp? I marked the edge with a sharpie and that was taken off but I still can't tell if they are truely sharp. What do you think?

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss -
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Start on fine stone dragging it towards you then repeat on extra fine stone. Last step is to do it on a leather strop with compound.
    Elite Pulse 28/70 LD, Boss Hogg, B Stinger, Kwikee, CT Whtetail XP's, Slick Tricks
    SR-71 28/70 LD, CBE Quad Light 3D, B Stinger, CT Cheetah's

I bought the G5 stone and it says to mark with a sharpie so you know it is making contact. But it says to go side to side not back and forth or circular. So I would and am going to go with the manufacturer and do that.
    Bernie's Brass Knuckles Staff
    Fever River Arrow Staff
    Straight 'N Arrow Bow Slings Staff
    Bowtech Insanity CPX , Hoyt Element, MBG Sights (Ascent Ambush, Vengeance, & Rush), Easton Hexx 330s, CX Maxima RED 350, PSE CF X Weave pro 300s

that Snuffer SS video on you tube..i copied that on my montecs. effen unbelievable! so sharp, i can shave some leg hair. here is the rundown:
    start with a flat file. pull them backwards towards you. i go 3 times and rotate. just lay the broadhead down, so two edges touch. you will get a steeper 30 degree sharp edge. dont worry.

i swear, just doing it two times around and they will feel better. then i go to a rough ceramic..same deal. go around a few times..3 reps each. then i go to a fine ceramic..getting scary already...then i polish them with a leather strop block..with some green compound..done. takes about 5-10 mins per head.

i love the way they fly, but they are ******** dull out of the package. i work them all before they tip my arrows.
    #1 Elite Energy 35

#2:mathews ZSEVEN

Thanks. I watched the video and did some back and forth strokes on my Arkansas stones. They are smaller than the one he is using so that makes it a little tough. I still can't shave the hair off my arm. Maybe I'm just afraid to push a little harder or maybe I'm not holding the blade at the proper angle on my arm. Is it a trick, like cutting paper?
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Bones816 View Post
    Thanks. I watched the video and did some back and forth strokes on my Arkansas stones. They are smaller than the one he is using so that makes it a little tough. I still can't shave the hair off my arm. Maybe I'm just afraid to push a little harder or maybe I'm not holding the blade at the proper angle on my arm. Is it a trick, like cutting paper?
    Hold it at the same angle you used when you sharpened it.
    '07 Bowtech Commander 75lbs, Octane, QAD-HD, Apex Atomic
    '12 Elite Pure 65lbs, SS1, QAD-HDX, CBE Tek-Hybrid

Check out the G5 Website.
    "For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"
    2004 Martin Jaguar Nitro Cams, Rage 2-Blade 100Gn, G5 Optix, Muzzy X-Cellerator

Thanks. So, can anyone compare the G5 Diamond sharpener to my old fashion Arkansas stones? The heads I'm trying to sharpen were only shot into targets.
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

That G5 sharpener is very nice, but you should still get great results with a good stone.
    "For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"
    2004 Martin Jaguar Nitro Cams, Rage 2-Blade 100Gn, G5 Optix, Muzzy X-Cellerator