Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Archery Renegade 8 bow

OK Archery Renegade 8 bow

Recently received a new Renegade 8 compound from OK Archery in Germany.
    Chris ( one of the owners) had read some of my posts on 3 track cams with shoot thru harness in the past, knew I am a big fan of that cam style, and contacted me on the possibility of acquiring one of his compounds with the 3 track cam system.
    Of course, I was interested, plus excited, and arranged for Chris to send me one of his bows.
    OK Archery is a firm believer in the 3 track cam system and 80% of their sales are for the 3 track cam which reflect their customers wise choice for this superior style.
    American shooters should be so enlightened and aware of the advantages of the 3 track cam.
    It still baffles me to this day that this system isn't far more popular in America as it should be.

When the Renegade 8 bow arrived, I was anxious to free her from the box and look her over.
    I thought the bow was very impressive with a great finish and elegant but rugged look.
    One friend who saw the bow commented that the riser reminded him of an Elite while another thought the limbs look like the PSE X-Force series.
    It does resemble those two bows but no more than other styles and still has its own unique look.

After studying the bow awhile, I began to see some subtle differences here in there vs other bows.
    The riser appears to be very strong and rigid; the fact that the cut outs don't go all the way through the riser at the sight window probably contributes to flex resistance.
    The tolerance (fit) of components, limb pockets, cams, and the riser are a cut above most American bows, imo.
    The only bows I have seen with similar overall build quality to the Renegade 8 are the custom Bowman Accu-Riser II, Barnsdale custom, Merlin bows, and Hoyt target bows.
    The finish of the riser, limb pockets, and cams is rich matte black with contrasting matte red color for the modules.
    The finish is done by the world renown firm of Carl Zeiss which, if you've owned any of their optics, you know to be excellent.
    The bow came with its own stabilizer QD which is of excellent quality.

The construction of the bow is topnotch and superior to most others.
    The riser is machined from 7000 series aluminum which is much stronger than the 6061 series virtually all American bows are built from.
    OK Archery gets their limb materials from Gordon plastics but cuts, grinds, and weighs each section in-house until they meet specs of no more than a one pound variance between each section.
    Barnsdale limbs snd Martin, to my knowledge, are the only other limbs built in-house that way.
    Barnsdale gets their materials from Gordon plastics also.
    The cams are well built but with no excess weight for greater performance and well finished too; I did not find a single machine mark on either cam.
    The cams remind me a little of the Nitrous X and several others but are different in their own right.
    OK Archery nicknamed their cams "Hot Chili" and it seems to fit.
    The axles supporting the cams are the strongest in the industry at 6mm in diameter.
    The bearings used for the cams are Z bearings which can resist far more heat than other types.
    The excellent strings and cables are made by Vapor Trail in a good looking contrast of red and black to match the bow.
    The limbs are locked into place by a top plate with a wedge extending below that fills in the area between each quad limb for a solid arraignment.
    There will be no limb shifting in the pockets of this bow !
    The limbs pockets, themselves, are very sturdy, handsome, and well made.
    There is a thru bolt provided that accepts the limb bolts preventing any chance of galling or damage occurring from cross threading vs the limb bolts being threaded directly into the aluminum riser like some other bows.

The balance of the bow in hand is superb; you don't even need a stabilizer to shoot it !
    However for better pics, I did use my 12" Posten with the bow but it wasn't needed.
    The bow doesn't come with a wood panel grip but it feels great.
    There are different color buttons available that you press into the grip area if you wish.
    The grip felt fine without them but I decided to use some for memory where I placed my fingers on the grip and it works very well.
    Should you want to hunt with the bow, you can always wrap the grip in cold weather.
    The bow weighs 4.2 pounds which is an excellent weight that's not heavy at all considering its construction.

The most impressive feature of the bow is, of course, the superb 3 track shoot thru system.
    With a 3 track shoot thru system, you have perfect alignment, zero cam lean, no uneven wear on bearings, spacers, strings, and limbs.
    Tuning your arrows and grouping them is a much easier task with a 3 track.
    Tuning broadheads for hunting with a 3 track is much superior and easier also.
    The negatives to some are loading the arrows nock toward string and the quad cables hitting your arm during a hunting situation but I, personally, have had no such issues with my 3 track cams over the years.

I set the bow up with what I consider some top accessories.
    Selected a Spot-Hogg Hogg Father with one pin wrap for the sight.
    Chose a new Trophy Taker FC Smack Down limb driven arrow rest.
    The Smack Down is extremely rugged, reliable, and an accurate rest for all venues of archery and complements the Hogg Father very well.
    Added a Bow Rattler string stopper and Sims Alpha Shock silencers to the limbs to complete the package.
    I consider the bow excellent for any type of archery whether it's target, 3-D, or hunting.

The draw of the bow is very smooth considering the size and aggressive looking cams provided; it anchors and holds solid as a rock !
    Chris told me I would be "surprised" when I drew the bow and he was right.
    It has the most wonderful best feeling draw of any bow I have ever shot !
    There is no noticeable "hump" (as Americans shooters call it) at the end of the draw cycle; the cams just seem to lock in place.
    There is one negative side; if you let up just the slightest, the cams want to creep forward and fire so you need to concentrate at full draw without relaxing.
    Not really a negative unless you're not paying attention but it can happen.
    Lots of other bows are the same way though.
    The bow is very quiet and smooth on the shot; as quiet as anything I ever heard and more so than any bow I have owned to date !
    The bow has a generous brace height of 8.1" and it shows in the accuracy department as it's really easy to hit the bullseye when shooting the bow.
    It has an ata length of 36.4; not too short or long either way, imo.
    Draw weight is 50 to 70 lbs and draw length is from 26" to 30.5" while let off is 70%.

Chronographed the bow and was very satisfied with the speed; it gets 300 fps on the dot at its 30.5" draw length and 60 lb draw weight with a 356 grain arrow.
    Not Omen speed but not bad for a 60 lb draw weight with an 8.1" brace height.
    I let several friends and relatives shoot the bow and all praised how smooth and accurate it is.

I cannot find any fault with the bow.
    I truly believe it is superior, overall, to most other bows out there and takes a back seat to none !
    It is my new favorite bow and the one I will be shooting at my next 3-D shoot and taking to the fields this season after that big Boone & Crockett Whitetail.

In conclusion, if you want a super accurate forgiving bow with good speed, superior construction, great finish, top components, and, jmo, the best cam system on the planet...
    You might want to check out OK Archery's Renegade 8 bow.
    It's a real sleeper !
    Last edited by JDS-1; July 18th, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

A few pics of the Renegade 8 set-up.
    Some of the better pics were those of the bow with quiver attached.
    Hope to get better ones later as the shadows played havoc with the camera sensors.

Close ups.

Close up of 3 track cam at full draw.

Close of of the bottom cam showing the bowstring attached to the center hook on the cam.
    This makes for an absolute center pull, unlike other 3 track cams with a side tab that the bowstring attaches to.
    An ingenious idea; a lot of thought went into the design of this bow.

Close up of Limb Pockets and alignment of the shoot thru system.

close up of shoot thru system.
    bow is leaning in the first pic.

Very nice reading and pic´s Sagittarius
    I guess you have a typo in the 156 grain arrow.
    So you like it even more than your beloved Dale Dye´s
    How does the bow feels after the shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Belicoso View Post
    Very nice reading and pic´s Sagittarius
    I guess you have a typo in the 156 grain arrow.
    So you like it even more than your beloved Dale Dye´s
    How does the bow feels after the shot?
    Belicoso,

Yes, you're correct on the 156 grain arrow.
    It should have been 356 !
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention !
    Should have known I couldn't get by without any errors.
    Injured my arm and bicep in 2006 so had to sell my Dale Dye bows since they were way too heavy to draw.
    I have been shooting both compounds and recurves for a number of years.

A few items not mentioned in my review above.

The bow is available in two cam sizes.
    The small cam has a range of 24" to 28.5" draw lengths while the large cam is available from 26.5" to 30.5"
    For those who don't wish to shoot a 3 track system, the bow is offered with a standard 2 track with cable guard in the larger cam size.
    There are 9 different modules available that can be rotated half an inch each.
    The bow can be ordered with Red Limb Pockets too, if you want even more contrast and a match for the modules and cables.

The Renegade 8 is also available for left handers.
    I apologize to all the lefties out there for not mentioning this before.

Last but not least...
    OK Archery will be offering the same bow with a longer ATA of 40" with a 7" brace height for both left and right hand shooters in October/November 2010
    I would think the longer ATA bow would be a great alternative to longer target bows like the Hoyt Contender Elite, Vantage Elite, Mathews Triumph and others, for those who wish to shoot something different and truly unique !

@ Sagittarius:

can you please tell me, what quiver model is attached to your bow? I am thinking of ordering another R8 with 70# and cable rod in order buildt-up a hunting bow...

since End of May I do own a R8, as well. Large cams and shot through system. And yes, Sagittarius is right - this bow is awesome! At the moment, there probably is no other bow which could compete in terms of product and production quality, imo.

Just a few remarks on my experience with this bow:

Concerning the specs you have to be aware that OK does some things differently to other bow manufacturers. Speed is stated at 308 fps IBO. The surprising thing is: you can shoot at home at this speed. OK does not industry's usual speed tests. So add 15 - 20 fps and you will have the speed other vendors would have stated. Most field archers I know have reduced draw force in order to bring their R8 down to below 300 fps

I do like the way OK is treating draw length. If you order 29" you will get 29". Not 28,75" nor 29,5" - exactly 29"! A point to consider - i.e. my "29"-Mathews-DL" was a 29,75", in fact. So if you order, you better measure the real numbers by tying a rope to the string, holding the other end between your hand and the grip and go into full draw. OK accepts "real DL" specifications, as well as AMO.

Tuning? There is no tuning! Ok, it is a double cam system and therefore dependent to your individual bow hand pressure point, so you perhaps have to synchronize the cams (by doing so, use twist-out of the cables in stead of twist-in, if possible. It's less impact). But that`s it. Just leave the rest as it is.

The bow's grip is superb. You find the right position at once.

If possible in terms of DL, I would order it always with the large cams. I think, even have a smoother draw. If you order the bow, be aware that the STS is an extra. You have to order it separately.

Arrows: I have shot the R8 with Victory Nanoforce and Carbon Express Medallion. Both work without any problems! For Victory Nanoforce, just take the 100 gn glue-in point and select your arrow length according to Victory's shaft selector. Perfect fit!

by the way: have a look at the list of R8 tournament winners. Considering the short time on the market, this is impressing to me!

Hello, U.T.S.

The quiver is a Kwikee quiver.
    It's not very expensive ( around $32.00 US dollars) but is built as good as anything else that costs over $100.00
    I prefer this quiver because it is quick detachable and you can buy an accessory block to hang the quiver on while in your treestand.
    Purchased mine here http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Kwikee_Quiver.html because they stock the black colored models.

Thanks for your post with information on how OK does their speed tests.
    I knew, my bow shot faster than I guessed it would for a 60 lb pull.
    Thanks for the arrow suggestions, also !
    I agree with you on what you said about "no other bow competing in terms of product and production quality".
    I have owned and still own some fine bows made by Bowman, Merlin, Red Man, and Hoyt.
    The Renegade 8 is faster, smoother, stronger built, and better balanced than most of them.
    It is my favorite and overall best compound bow I have ever owned.
    If you noticed my list of bows above, you will see (except for Hoyt) they are built by small companies or, in the case of Bowman and Red Man, individuals.
    The smaller manufacturers, just my opinion, go the extra mile to build a quality product that is a cut above what the larger manufacturers offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    The quiver is a Kwikee quiver.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    The smaller manufacturers, just my opinion, go the extra mile to build a quality product that is a cut above what the larger manufacturers offer
    That`s right and therefore I prefer the smaller brands, as well!

Pearson produces really fine bows. Other manufacturers produce fine bows, as well. It definitely would exceed this thread to compare all of them.

Therefore please, discuss them in an own thread and do not bash this one. Perhaps you could start a comparing thread. This would be very interesting. Thank you.

Sorry, greet.
    I have not shot a Pearson.
    You can do a conversion on the price listed at the OK site to get its cost in American dollars.

what a brilliant idea! "Priate" shot both bows and will be able to tell the difference. I will aks him to post a short comparing summary, as soon as you have started your comparing thread.

What I can say is, that the Pearson Advantage seems to be a great bow. Last weekend I walked with "Pirate" on a field course and had the chance to watch him with his bow. It is fast (not really faster than the R8, no matter what the paper specs say) and - at least in "Pirate's" hand - it worked too exactly to make me really happy (man, this guy does an average above 19 on a terribly hard course!), although I got the feeling the Pearson bow produces significant cam lean (but that is a first impression from watching somebody shooting, not a proved fact).

Concerning the costs: why don`t you ask OK about the U.S. price and the shipping costs? Phone or email them, you will find the contact details on their web site. I mean, guessing numbers and similar gossip is no useful information, at all!

P.S. to make it clear: "Priate" is not sponsored by OK, nor by Pearson, nor he is Team AG staff shooter

...and, I found you as well - isn't there a another AT alias of you?

Greet,

Of course, I know the price of the Renegade 8 but I never quote prices on the forums for any type of equipment I own; hardly anyone does.
    I have never quoted my Bowman and Merlin bow prices on the forum as ,sometimes, the bows may have increased in price.
    I urge others to contact Stewart Bowman or Pinwheel 12 on those bows for prices.
    The price will vary on bows depending on the equipment offered also.
    You assume a lot !
    My answer was short but to the point, I believe.

I got a short information from OK which I would like to share with you:

The price of a Renegade 8 for US customers for the Chot Through model will be approximately $ 1,000.

It will be cheaper in the U.S. than it is in Germany, because here we have to pay additional 19% Value Added Tax on the bow. Please, be aware that this is an informal information. In case somebody wants to buy this bow, please contact OK directly in order to get an exact quote.

I forgot to say that in the U.S. the OK shot through system is a Martin patent. But, OK is in contact with Martin already and will pay royalties, of course.

The Bow Rattler String Suppressor and OK Archery

We want to welcome OK-Archery to the Bow Rattler Team. When we first started working with Chris we new after he put these on his bows he would know why we have the best string suppressor on the market. With the sleek look and the great performance the bow rattler has become a big part in another Archery Manufactuerers standard equipment .

The Bow Rattler is the best string supressor I have even seen !

Decided to switch to a different rest.
    Mounted my Pro Tuner with Jesse Mount and 3-D/Hunter launcher using my double mount plate by Black Frog (a friend here on AT)
    The Pro Tuner is a tool-less design, extremely rugged, and fits my Renegade 8 better; the 3-D/Hunter launcher works well in the wind and is good for hunting, 3-D, or target shooting.
    Plus, the gold on the Pro Tuner matches the limb bolt mount plates and thru bolts on the Renegade 8 really well.

@greet
    I would aprreciate to meeting you there and having a "shoot-out": My R8 vs. your PA

Here's my latest pic of the bow.
    Added an all black Axion stabilizer to the bow as it looks better with the bow and has harmonic dampeners.

The new series of R8 can be ordered with optional red limb pockets. It looks great!

...I am thinking about changing my black ones....

I shot OK bows more than a decade ago.
    Maybe I missed something or maybe OK Archery did a change on this bow but as far as I know the advertised drawlength is the effective draw length from nocking point to pivot point. Not AMO DL.

Thus the maximum DL of 30.5" on this bow is actually an AMO DL of 32.25" since you have to add 1.75" to meet the AMO standard.
    That way this bow will also meet the needs of the knuckledraggers among us.

DB
    bogenjagdpraxis.de

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast