Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Venison Summer Sausage ( jalapeño and cheese)

Venison Summer Sausage ( jalapeño and cheese)

OK here is my "how to" for summer sausage. This is just one of many different ways to make summer sausage. If you have never done this i would suggest giving it a try. This is a great way to use ground venison.

For the beginner it may just be easer to pick up a sausage kit. It comes with all your spices,cure and casings in one box. But if your like me you can never leave well enough alone and have to have your own mix that you constantly change...lol

Here's one of my recipes thats pretty simple.

You will need:

5 lb Ground Venison
    1 lb Ground Beef
    2 cup Water
    3 Tbsp Morton tender Quick (this is the cure and is VERY important)
    2 Tbsp Non Iodized Salt
    4 Tbsp Soy Flour ( non fat dry milk will work)
    3 Tbsp Course Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Mustard Seed
    1 1/2tsp Onion Powder
    2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 cup Jalapeño Pepper's Chopped ( fresh is best)
    2 cup High Temp Cheddar Cheese
    2 to 3 2 1/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings
    Liquid smoke ( optional)

While your getting every thing together you'll need to start your casings soaking in a pan of warm water.I add a little salt to the water when i soak mine. It takes about 15 to 30 minutes in warm water for them to get pliable enough to stuff.

Now i do enough of this and various other things that it was worth it to me to buy a mixer. I've had it so long that i don't remember what i gave for it but i'm gonna guess around $100. But you do not have to have a mixer to do this. You can easily use a large bowl.First off I'll start with the ground venison and ground beef in the mixer. I'll give a few turns before i add the spices.

Before we get to far let me mention if you don't already know. The cure is very important. Do not skip this part.You can play with the rest of the mix if you like. I'm using Morton's Tender Quick. Morton says use 1 1/2 tsp per pound of ground meat. There are other types of cure on the market ( pink salt cure ect..) that may call for a smaller amount of cure per pound. This is OK,you will just need to figure out the difference and the adjust amount of cure plus salt you need to add. What every you do don't add more cure then it calls for. Too much cure is a bad thing.

Now you can add the spices( not peppers and cheese). There are two ways to do this. You can just dump them in with the meat or you can mix them together with the water and pour them in. Either way its gonna get mixed up. If you using a bowl and you hands to mix it then it might be easier to add it to the water. Once you have all the spices and water in you can add the soy flour. The soy flour is important.It acts as a binder and helps hold the sausage in a nice uniformed shape. if you plan to add liquid smoke do it now. I cant recommend how much cause i don't use it. I actually smoke mine. If you plan to cook these in the oven then i would add a little liquid smoke for flavor.

Once you have the mixture mixed up good you can add the peppers. Now you can adjust the amount of peppers to your taste. if your in to adding a little kick you could add some cayennes to it Mix the peppers in nice a good before you add the cheese. Its the last thing you want to add because it breaks apart very easy.

Now i like to use the High Temp Cheddar Cheese. I can not find it local so i always order it off the internet. Theres a bunch of places that offer it for a decent price. I've tried regular cheddar cheese many times and it never comes out like i like it.So i stick with the high temp stuff.

Heres a pic all mixed up and ready to stuff.

OK now we got to get it in the casings.First take the casing out of the water and shake the water off.Its OK if there stiff wet.Then get to stuffing. This is super easy to do with a stuffer but you might not have one. What i use to do before i bought the stuffer was use my jerky shooter to stuff the casings. You can pick one up a Walmart pretty cheap. Or you could just roll the meat into small balls and drop it in the casing. Then use your fingers to push it to the end like a tube of tooth paste.Whether you use a stuffer,jerky shooter or by hand the meat needs to be packed pretty tight in the casing. Completely filling it out. The casing is breathable so any air in the casing will need to be pushed out. Once full you can tie the end of the casing off with just about anything. I used bread ties this time.

Once you have the meat stuffed you will need to let it cure. The very minimum amount of time i would wait 24 hours. I usually let mine cure 48 hours.

Once it's cured we need to cook it. You can use the oven or smoker for this. I use the smoker with hickory wood chunks for smoke.. If you plan to use a smoker remember that a nice thin blue smoke is what you after. Keep your oven/smoker temps in the 200 to 250 range. Your looking for an internal temp of 160 in the center of the sausage. Once it hits 160 you can remove the sausage from the oven/smoker.

Soon as you remove it from the oven grill your gonna need to cool it down. You'll need a tub,sink,cooler,ect full of ice water ready for it. Just chunk the sausage rolls in the ice water and let them soak. Some folks let them soak till the center temp cools to around 120 degrees. I let mine soak till the center temp is about 80 degrees. Either way will work.

Once you have them out of the water you gonna need to hang them and let them Bloom. If you used a clear casing you will see them take on a darker color after they have hung awhile. The mahogany casing are already dark. I hang mine for a few hours over a trash can so any water will not end up in the floor. After they have hung a few hours i put them in the fridge. Or you can wrap them and freeze at this point if you like.

And thats it!!! Once you have let one set in the fridge and cool down its ready to slice and enjoy

Last edited by EASTON94; January 29th, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: PER REQUEST
    11 Bowtech Destroyer 350 Black Opps
    04 Bowtech VFT Patriot Camo

Very nice!
    About how long is the cook time?
    Bearfoot Archery
    Center Circle Strings
    "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." -W.C. Fields

Cook time varies. Thats why its always best to check if its done by the internal temp which in this case is 160 degrees.

Cook time can be any where between 3 and 4 hours cook time. You will get a more controlled cook time by using the oven. But when using the smoker your outside temp, humidity, and the simple fact you cooking with wood and charcoal can make the cook time vary.

nice! wonder how velveta would work???
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

I'm sure the Velveeta would taste great if you could keep it from melting. But at 160 it's gonna melt for sure. Of course you could just leave the cheese and jalapeños out all together and cut a slice of cheese to eat with it if you wanted too.

Very nice. I'll have to try this when I get some more venison. The one time I tried it I wasn't too impressed with the results. I did use a pre-made kit.

Where do you get the cheese? I have never looked for any cheese to put in sausage before.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Now alls I need is the sausage stuffer.

Looks like a great recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    Very nice. I'll have to try this when I get some more venison. The one time I tried it I wasn't too impressed with the results. I did use a pre-made kit.

Where do you get the cheese? I have never looked for any cheese to put in sausage before.
    Just do a goggle search for High Temp Cheese. There are a bunch of butcher shops that ship it. I think Cabalas sells it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi66 View Post
    Just do a goggle search for High Temp Cheese. There are a bunch of butcher shops that ship it. I think Cabalas sells it as well.
    OK. I didn't know if you found a certain shop online that you preferred. Thanks.

Do you have any tips on getting the casings stuffed so they stay tight? I made up some of this sausage tonight, and when it came time to tie off the stuffed casing, it would always loosen up.

I also substituted non-fat dry milk for the soy flour. Since soy flour is listed as a binding agent along with non-fat dry milk, I assume that this is not a problem. I couldn't find soy flour anywhere.

Yeah the non-fat dry milk should work just fine. The purpose of adding the soy flour/non-fat dry milk is for a binding agent but it also helps the meat retain some extra moister so it will not dry out during the smoking stage.

As for stuffing it tight,just be sure you pack it tight! The casing are breathable so you can use your hands to force the meat down tight.Do this a few times as your filling it. This will force the air out of the casing.These casing are tough. Your not gonna bust it unless your just getting crazy and trying to. Once i have the casing filled about 3 inches from the top i stop adding meat .I then twist the lose end of the casing till its got every thing packed in there nice and tight. I use twist ties to seal mine with but you can use just about anything to tie the end with. Another trick i have seen some people do is use the tip of a knife and make a few perforated holes along one side of the casing.Not many,just a few small pin hole to give the air a place to escape. But i personally have never had to do this. Either way be sure you get it tight in that casing before you smoke it or the end product might be crumbly.

I just made some summer sausage and link sausage this weekend. Love this stuff

thanks for the recipe. i actually got on AT tonight just to ask for a good summer sausage/bologna recipe. I have made it twice before, and don't get me wrong, its good. But its not good enough. There's a local guy who will process deer, and makes the BEST bologna i've ever had, but to have a whole deer made into it its about $150, so I like mine more since its justa few bucks each time. I'll try this recipe very soon!!

OH...if anyones has made this using liquid smoke, please let me know how much you used, and how it tasted. Thanks.

awesome that looks so good send me a sample so i can try it out

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    OH...if anyones has made this using liquid smoke, please let me know how much you used, and how it tasted. Thanks.
    Its just so happens i made my last batch using a little liqued smoke. I have always just smoked it before but this time i wanted to try adding a little liquid smoke just to see how it worked out. I used LEM liquid smoke. Its very concentrated. So i only used 1/2 tea spoon which is what LEM suggest to use for 5lbs meat. If you are using regular liqued smoke it might take more to get a good flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi66 View Post
    Its just so happens i made my last batch using a little liqued smoke. I have always just smoked it before but this time i wanted to try adding a little liquid smoke just to see how it worked out. I used LEM liquid smoke. Its very concentrated. So i only used 1/2 tea spoon which is what LEM suggest to use for 5lbs meat. If you are using regular liqued smoke it might take more to get a good flavor.
    did it have a fairly strong smokey flavor using just 1/2 teaspoon? I like a smoke flavor.

Well to tell the truth it was just right BUT i cooked mine on my smoker as well. If your gonna do it in the oven you might need to add a little more for a strong smoke flavor.

I got mine done up, it was AWESOME. I had a couple burst in the smoker, and a couple come out wrinkly, but they all turned out good. I don't think using nonfat dry milk affected the recipe any, beyond helping the sausage to retain some moisture. I'm thinking I may give the same recipe a try as smaller snack sticks as well.

trying this as soon as I get back from the store... Gonna do 30 lbs half jalepeno and cheese the other half without. Let ya know Thanks for the info and instructions Will post back
    2010 Mathews Z7 29" 70#
    Rip Cord Rest
    Forget the Gun, Give me my Bow
    http://www.facebook.com/hillbillywilly My Facebook Page
    http://twitter.com/ hellbillywilly Follow me on Twitter

Thanks Mississippi66 for the recipe. Just pulled off the smoker about 2 hours ago chilled and had to try out... Very good ended up doing 36 lbs of regular and 6 lbs of jalapeno and cheddar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Mathews Z7 29" 70#
    Rip Cord Rest

Glad you liked it hillbillywilly. To me its fun to make somthing peolpe love at a fration of the cost it would take to buy it.

If your gonna do any more with cheese in it i strongly suggest using high temp cheese. The out come is so much better. When i first started making this i tried just about every kind of block cheese i could get my hands on at the local store. The problem i had with the regular cheese was it would get hot and melt/separate in the sausage when i was cooking it. So i done a little searching on the internet and bought the High Temp Cheddar.Works great.

Probably will try with high temp cheese next time even though i was impressed with this one it didn't melt as bad as i thought it would. I used a block of sharp cheddar couldnt belive running through my grinder to stuff it didn't get mashed. Need a different set up for cooking it. My smoker is more for hog roasting but i put a heat shield and two water trays to keep direct heat off of cooking area. But still was a bit hot, the picture i posted casing acually split when iy was almost to temp. A couple others ripped as well but not as bad as this one. Thinking about adding a small barrel on back and piping tubes from it so only heat and smoke in cooking barrel. So hopefully next time will have a bit slower cook time.
    But again thanks for the recipe and well layed out directions. I think with buying ingredients and ground beef only had maybe $20 in it. Way cheaper and good time with wife sittin out there drinking a few beers with me.
    2010 Mathews Z7 29" 70#
    Rip Cord Rest

Gotta try this soon!

Thanks for the recipe! Made 12lbs this weekend and it turned out fantastic. I used 1lb of maple bacon and 1lb of hickory smoked bacon instead of the ground beef......great combo! I used the 1lb casings from Cabelas and they worked out perfect in my little electric smoker. Thanks again

Your welcome.
    After reading this i had the hankering for a few pieces. Had to get up and cut a couple slices of the stick in the fridge. Bad part is i'm down to my last stick....gotta make some more.Love this stuff.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast