Thread: typical materials for string building

typical materials for string building

ok so i am going to start building my own strings soon and was wondering if anyone had a list of typical materials that i should get to get started. like what kind and size of serving material, serving jig, exe.
    thanks

you will need :
    1. string material ( BCY 452x or BCY Trophy )
    2. string jig ( Little Jon ) best out there ( IMO )
    3. serving tools ( Beiter ) at least 3-4
    4. end loop serving
    5. center serving
    6. Bow press for removing & installing strings ( Sootballs Press )
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

If you don't want to sink too much money into string making while on your learning curve, then get some DynaFlight 97 or DynaFlight 10 string material. It's great stuff and it's a lot cheaper than 452X so you can make a buch of strings to get practice and not feel bad about throwing away all your mistakes. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunterprime View Post
    If you don't want to sink too much money into string making while on your learning curve, then get some DynaFlight 97 or DynaFlight 10 string material. It's great stuff and it's a lot cheaper than 452X so you can make a buch of strings to get practice and not feel bad about throwing away all your mistakes. -Chris
    Agree with that
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

that is the plan definate one roll of cheap stuff on the list!!! what size serving should be a definate??

I use .014 Halo on all of my end servings and 62xs for the center serving.

Don't forget D75. Not the thin, regular. 16 strands for stings and cables. Easy stuff to work with, fast, and dependable. I just picked up a couple 1/4 lb spools for $22.99 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunterprime View Post

Once you learn the basics (which is not hard), you find out that using the proper tension at the proper time on both the string material and the serving process is important in building a string that does not rotate when you draw. So, a tension unit on the jig is very important.

I second the Little Jon Jig. It has a tensioner that works well, and measures the amount of tension you are putting on the string. It comes with a DVD that was very, very helpful. Also, it comes with a CD that has string lay out specs for a whole bunch of bows. And the owner, Phillip, is very willing to help you by answering string building questions.

I read here where most of these guys go through a learning curve in building strings, which sounds pretty normal. However, with the help of the Little Jon set up, I only blew one string (no cables) before being able to build a complete set for my AM35. I have since built 4 or 5 sets. I know that means I am still a rookie, but the only thing I have had to throw away was one I fouled up because I set the length wrong. The string was fine; just too short!!

Good luck. Its actually fun.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

If you want to use some even cheaper string to start out with you could get a roll of Fast Flight.

Thanks for the plug. I know that most people think they will have quite a time making their first strings. However, most people using my jig shoot their first string. The Little Jon(r) jig quite simply removes a lot of variables from the tensioning process. As a matter of fact, I would say that the difference between this jig and others is it builds strings under tension, verses tensioning twisted string bundles.
    Little Jon Archery Products
    Bowstring Jig and Serving Winders
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

Fast flight has worked for me in the past